Formatting new harddrive and Windows XP

Carl

How do I remove a "Second" installation of Windows XP
from a secondary harddrive?

I bought a second harddrive for my system for use as a
non-system drive... just for games, programs, files...
I've got a separate drive that I've already got a full
windows installation on. Well, I followed in
instructions in the Microsoft Help for formatting a new
harddrive, but it forced me to install Windows XP home on
the drive, too... So, now I have two copies of Windows XP
on my system and I have to select between the two on boot
up. I hate it. How do I get rid of this "Extra" Windows
and just put this second harddrive to a blank slate?

Thanks,
~C

First, Open My Computer, now right click on the drive that has Windows
that you don't want and select Format. Once you format that drive, it
will be blank, so make sure you don't have any data on there that you
want to keep. Now, right click on My Computer and click Properties. Now
go to the advanced tab and click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Now click edit and erase the bottom most line which should say something
like.

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition"
/fastdetect

You want to make sure that there are two entries and the one that says:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition"
/fastdetect

is left alone.

Also, if you are uncomfortable editing that (boot.ini), you can just
uncheck Time to display list of operating systems and click ok. That
should do it too ;)

Nathan McNulty

Carl wrote:

> How do I remove a "Second" installation of Windows XP
> from a secondary harddrive?
>
> I bought a second harddrive for my system for use as a
> non-system drive... just for games, programs, files...
> I've got a separate drive that I've already got a full
> windows installation on. Well, I followed in
> instructions in the Microsoft Help for formatting a new
> harddrive, but it forced me to install Windows XP home on
> the drive, too... So, now I have two copies of Windows XP
> on my system and I have to select between the two on boot
> up. I hate it. How do I get rid of this "Extra" Windows
> and just put this second harddrive to a blank slate?
>
> Thanks,
> ~C

you must have formatted the new drive with winxp Cdrom
installation disk.
that was not the best and easiest way.
you should and still can use disk managment in computer
managment to create the mew drive & format it.
to find this right click on my computer and choose manage.
you can do this now and then edit the boot.ini file on
you primary drive in the root directory c:\boot.ini.
delete the second windows boot option. you could also
drop the timer from 30sec to 1sec for faster boot up.
good idea to backup this file first in case you make an
error in editing. this is a hidden system file so the
easiest way to find & edit is to chose run in the start
menu and type - edit c:\boot.ini

Carl

Thanks guys, I'll give this a go. It's been about a year
since I've really tinkered with my system, so I totally
forgot how to do this and just (stupidly) used the first
Microsoft "Knowledge Base" response I found... yes, it
said to use the XP Installation CD.

I'm totally cool playing with the boot.ini file. And, if
all else fails, I'll just nuke the whole system and start
from scratch. :)

Thanks again,
~C