Help - Frequency of Computer Rebooting is Increasing

In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that when trying to do multiple
things on the computer, the frequency of fatal error resulting in a reboot
is increasing. It has occurred when doing completely different things. Is
this a potential sign of a certain piece of hardware going bad? Could it be
something with Windows XP?

I have a Gateway 500XL PC/2.53GHz P4/512MB DDR SDRAM/128MD NVIDIA GeFore4
Ti4200G/Running Windows XP

This is the consistent error I am getting in the event log.

Category: 102

Event ID: 1003

Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000020, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 f837d0ff.

"Infoquest" <Infoquest@att.net> wrote in message
> In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that when trying to do
multiple
> things on the computer, the frequency of fatal error resulting in a reboot
> is increasing. It has occurred when doing completely different things.
Is
> this a potential sign of a certain piece of hardware going bad? Could it
be
> something with Windows XP?
>
> I have a Gateway 500XL PC/2.53GHz P4/512MB DDR SDRAM/128MD NVIDIA GeFore4
> Ti4200G/Running Windows XP

Hmm, first off, do you have everything up to date with Windows Update
and do you have all updated drivers for all of your hardware? Second,
have you installed AdAware or Spybot and tried scanning your computer
for malware? Third, have you run an antivirus scan on the computer?
Finally, does Windows create a minidump for this? Check in
C:\Windows\Minidump\

Nathan McNulty

Infoquest wrote:

> This is the consistent error I am getting in the event log.
>
> Category: 102
>
> Event ID: 1003
>
> Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000020, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
> 00000000, parameter4 f837d0ff.
>

> "Infoquest" <Infoquest@att.net> wrote in message
>
>>In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that when trying to do
>
> multiple
>
>>things on the computer, the frequency of fatal error resulting in a reboot
>>is increasing. It has occurred when doing completely different things.
>
> Is
>
>>this a potential sign of a certain piece of hardware going bad? Could it
>
> be
>
>>something with Windows XP?
>>
>>I have a Gateway 500XL PC/2.53GHz P4/512MB DDR SDRAM/128MD NVIDIA GeFore4
>>Ti4200G/Running Windows XP

Thanks for all the thoughts...

Windows is up to date... I double checked today to make sure.
I used a Gateway Utility to check the drivers... it indicates that they are
all up to date. Is there a better way?
I run AdAware and Spybot daily... ran them again and confirmed everything is
clean.
Made sure antivirus had the latest table and did a complete scan... it was
clean.
There is a minidump file... how do you open it?

Thanks for all the help!

"Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
> Hmm, first off, do you have everything up to date with Windows Update
> and do you have all updated drivers for all of your hardware? Second,
> have you installed AdAware or Spybot and tried scanning your computer
> for malware? Third, have you run an antivirus scan on the computer?
> Finally, does Windows create a minidump for this? Check in
> C:\Windows\Minidump\
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Infoquest wrote:
>
> > This is the consistent error I am getting in the event log.
> >
> > Category: 102
> >
> > Event ID: 1003
> >
> > Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000020, parameter2 00000002,
parameter3
> > 00000000, parameter4 f837d0ff.
> >

> > "Infoquest" <Infoquest@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that when trying to do
> >
> > multiple
> >
> >>things on the computer, the frequency of fatal error resulting in a
reboot
> >>is increasing. It has occurred when doing completely different things.
> >
> > Is
> >
> >>this a potential sign of a certain piece of hardware going bad? Could it
> >
> > be
> >
> >>something with Windows XP?
> >>
> >>I have a Gateway 500XL PC/2.53GHz P4/512MB DDR SDRAM/128MD NVIDIA
GeFore4
> >>Ti4200G/Running Windows XP

To open the minidump, you can right click and chose open with... and
select notepad, but it is going to appear as a bunch of garbled text.

Have you tried a scan disk and defragmentation process on the disk
recently? Open My Computer, right click on your harddrive, click
Properties, click the Tools tab and do the scan disk. Check both
options, it will ask if you want to run it at the beginning of the next
boot since files it wants to scan are in use, click yes, and reboot.
Once it is finished scanning and Windows reloads, go back into that
option and click defragment. After that process is finished, reboot and
see if you are still having as many problems :)

Also, it never hurts to clean up disk space and uninstall software that
you don't use or don't want.

Nathan McNulty