Problem with 4gb of ram...

Windows XP is only recognizing 3.37gb (!?)

Any idea? We already contacted Intel and they said that the 865GBFL had no
problem running with 4gb of ram in Windows XP.

Any suggestions?

Sylvain

How to Use the /USERVA Switch in the Boot.ini File to Tune /3GB Configurations

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Sylvain Deschamps - CD Info" sdeschamps@cdinfo.com wrote in message:

| Windows XP is only recognizing 3.37gb (!?)
|
| Any idea? We already contacted Intel and they said that the 865GBFL had no
| problem running with 4gb of ram in Windows XP.
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Sylvain

Also, do note that 4 GB of RAM is the maximum that you can have on a
32bit processor. In order to achieve more, you will need a 64bit
processor. The reason for this is the 32bit goes 2^32 = 4 GB ;)

Nathan McNulty

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> How to Use the /USERVA Switch in the Boot.ini File to Tune /3GB Configurations

OK. I just have to know. What are you running that would require 4 GB of
RAM? I have a friend that is a professional graphics artist, a special
effects technician who works with Computer Generated Imaging on a huge
scale. His pet system is a machine he built especially for his craft and it
has an Athlon 3000+ processor, tweaked up for performance, two 200 GB 7200
rpm hard drives, a 10000 rpm drive, DVD drive, DVD -/+ RW drive and two
Nvidia 256 MB graphics cards. It has a total of 1.5 GB of DDR RAM. He does
stuff you wouldn't believe with this machine and when he is not working he
can run Unreal Tournament or Farside or Halo at resolutions like 1600 x 1280
all day long. 4 GB of RAM is amazing! I was just curious.

"Sylvain Deschamps - CD Info" <sdeschamps@cdinfo.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP is only recognizing 3.37gb (!?)
>
> Any idea? We already contacted Intel and they said that the 865GBFL had
no
> problem running with 4gb of ram in Windows XP.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Sylvain

One nice thing about having that much RAM is you can load the entire
Operating System into the memory and not even have to use a pagefile
while you're at it.

Nathan McNulty

Kevin wrote:

> OK. I just have to know. What are you running that would require 4 GB of
> RAM? I have a friend that is a professional graphics artist, a special
> effects technician who works with Computer Generated Imaging on a huge
> scale. His pet system is a machine he built especially for his craft and it
> has an Athlon 3000+ processor, tweaked up for performance, two 200 GB 7200
> rpm hard drives, a 10000 rpm drive, DVD drive, DVD -/+ RW drive and two
> Nvidia 256 MB graphics cards. It has a total of 1.5 GB of DDR RAM. He does
> stuff you wouldn't believe with this machine and when he is not working he
> can run Unreal Tournament or Farside or Halo at resolutions like 1600 x 1280
> all day long. 4 GB of RAM is amazing! I was just curious.
>
> "Sylvain Deschamps - CD Info" <sdeschamps@cdinfo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Windows XP is only recognizing 3.37gb (!?)
>>
>>Any idea? We already contacted Intel and they said that the 865GBFL had
>
> no
>
>>problem running with 4gb of ram in Windows XP.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Sylvain

My son runs 4 gig and server 2003 because it allows him to eassily
reduce the modules loaded to what he actually needs. He runs filter
arrays that work much faster when parts don't have to be swapped out.

Nathan McNulty wrote:
> One nice thing about having that much RAM is you can load the entire
> Operating System into the memory and not even have to use a pagefile
> while you're at it.
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Kevin wrote:
>
>> OK. I just have to know. What are you running that would require 4
>> GB of
>> RAM? I have a friend that is a professional graphics artist, a special
>> effects technician who works with Computer Generated Imaging on a huge
>> scale. His pet system is a machine he built especially for his craft
>> and it
>> has an Athlon 3000+ processor, tweaked up for performance, two 200 GB
>> 7200
>> rpm hard drives, a 10000 rpm drive, DVD drive, DVD -/+ RW drive and two
>> Nvidia 256 MB graphics cards. It has a total of 1.5 GB of DDR RAM.
>> He does
>> stuff you wouldn't believe with this machine and when he is not
>> working he
>> can run Unreal Tournament or Farside or Halo at resolutions like 1600
>> x 1280
>> all day long. 4 GB of RAM is amazing! I was just curious.
>>
>> "Sylvain Deschamps - CD Info" <sdeschamps@cdinfo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Windows XP is only recognizing 3.37gb (!?)
>>>
>>> Any idea? We already contacted Intel and they said that the 865GBFL had
>>

>> no
>>
>>> problem running with 4gb of ram in Windows XP.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Sylvain

"Sylvain Deschamps - CD Info" <sdeschamps@cdinfo.com> wrote...
> Windows XP is only recognizing 3.37gb (!?)
>
> Any idea? We already contacted Intel and they said that the 865GBFL had
no
> problem running with 4gb of ram in Windows XP.

Do you have BIOS Shadow enabled? Is your graphics card using some of the
RAM?

Where is this 3.37 GB reported? Have you tried using other utilities to
confirm the reporting?