Internet Explorer 8 Turns 3 Years Old, Still Going Strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

obsama1

Distinguished
Whenever I help people with their computers, if they have IE8, I always update them to IE9, or if they have XP, I tell them to download Chrome. IE8 has THE worst HTML5 scores I've ever seen.

[citation][nom]jryan388[/nom]only ie option for xp users... and u do need ie every once in a while.[/citation]

browsers have extensions to have IE tabs and opera has a way to view pages as IE so no ones has any use for IE now other than windows XP users because it the only way to use windows update

DEVILVSANGEL00

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I have to admit i use IE 8 still with all the updates installed, as soon as i tryed IE 9 i totally hated it and hate how they changed it all, the layout of IE 8 was the best out of all of the IE series and they changed it around so much it was annoying, in this case just because IE 9 was newer dosent mean that it was better except for the html 5 support thats it. i also use chrome as my back up for html 5,

if microsoft included html 5 support for its IE 8 i think alot of people would of stuck with it over IE 9.

same goes for when direct x 10 was released and they forced people to upgrade from xp because they wanted to get people to buy their newer so called improved operating system aka vista.

typical microsoft i say

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
And if Firefox or Chrome had real enterprise features, such as the ability to lock down the browser using Group Policy, they'd be replacing IE 8 in more than just personal usage.

But as it stands right now, I can't/won't use anything but IE, because with it I can stop lusers from installing toolbars and other crap, and make sure that the traffic goes through the content filter (and that they can't change that address), and that the homepage stays locked to Google and doesn't change to that default MSN garbage.

I want to be able to switch the browsers because Firefox/Chrome is so much better, but right now that's just too much work, so we stay on IE 8.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I'm not really digging some of the cosmetic changes to IE since IE7, but it isn't that bad anymore and isn't really considered the standard for web development like it once was holding everyone back. More and more I find I need multiple browsers (at least 2) to have a good experience on the web, which is good and bad IMO. Good in a way you don't have one browser monopolizing the web technology, but bad in the sense that nobody has a set standard that all browsers are forced to abide by. There are some sites that Opera just wont play nice with and some that only IE8/IE9 does (my combo). I'm not sure how that applies for Chrome/Safari/FireFox users, but I kind of need two browsers if I wish to continue using Opera.

For me it's both good and bad that IE has fallen, but personally the UI changes are not that great. Sure it looks clean but at least the competing browsers offer near full customability to make up for it. Kind of like you get a empty canvas to mash into whatever your heart desires. Can't do that with IE8 or IE9.

daveotlinux

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Who else out there is using Firefox with noscript? Those who do, how many are allowing scripts from places like StatCounter to run? Guess you are like me, and are not counted. Don't believe usage statistics, they are based on incomplete or erroneous data.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
IE 8 won't be as problematic as IE6 because
1. auto updates
2. IE 6 had bad standards support, so large corps/gov with custom apps didn't upgrade on purpose because of their custom apps, forcing other dev's to also support IE6
3. even though it scores low on the acid tests, unless you really go to town with html5 and css3 IE8 handles mostly the same as newer browsers.

G

IE8 will be around for a very very long time - far longer than IE6. I am using Windows XP Professional and will use it for as long as I can with current situation.

Congratulations to Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and other browsers to support XP. I am sure there are many people out there still on XP and this provide the opportunity for those browsers to prove themselves, gain market share and user loyalty.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]daveotlinux[/nom]Who else out there is using Firefox with noscript? Those who do, how many are allowing scripts from places like StatCounter to run? Guess you are like me, and are not counted. Don't believe usage statistics, they are based on incomplete or erroneous data.[/citation]

^ +1

G

It's like I tell my users at work "I know you have password saving enabled, but there's a known issue affecting IE4 through IE9 that it still won't remember them anyways. Microsoft has been unable to fix this problem in 7 years with 1000s of developers. If you want your passwords remembered, you're going to have to start using Firefox, sorry".

Here's an official Microsoft 10,000 word troubleshooting guide to something that "just works" in any normal browser.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/09/11/troubleshooting-stored-login-problems-in-ie.aspx

It's like I tell my users at work "I know you have password saving enabled, but there's a known issue affecting IE4 through IE9 that it still won't remember them anyways. Microsoft has been unable to fix this problem in 7 years with 1000s of developers. If you want your passwords remembered, you're going to have to start using Firefox, sorry".

Here's an official Microsoft 10,000 word troubleshooting guide to something that "just works" in any normal browser.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/09/11/troubleshooting-stored-login-problems-in-ie.aspx

that or just get roboform or lastpass

Hypertraxx

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
WHAHAHAHAHAAHAH +1

IE strong.... whooo, pff this made my day...

Microsoft stop being an ass and face the reality as it is. You SUCK.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Me likes some IE9. My router hates it for some reason. I have to use Firefox to add a new mac address. Other than that..I prefer it to Chrome and I hate to say Firefox. I despised all IE iterations before 9. But it's quick and just works. I like the interface. Anyone notice Chrome take a crap every now and then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts