Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs,videocards.nvidia (More info?)

(Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and
alt.comp.periphs,videocards.nvidia)

Hi,

I posted already about this problem, now I have some more information:

It seems to me that the combination of the following components does not work:

Motherboard ASUS A8V (AMD64, 3500+, FW 1009.002b)
Videocard Aopen Aeolus 6800 GT

When powering on there is no POST, nothing.
A Taiwanees women sais something like "SYSTEM FAILED VGAFAIL"

What I tried:
- Putting in a cheap VGA card instead: works!
- Trying a second Aopen Aelous 6800 GT card: no post
- Taking a second power supply and feeding the Aopen card seperately from that
second PSU: no post. (nice, a PC with 2X450W :))

Any ideas?

TIA

Bert

I notice you posted this to three newsgroups; therefore, I don't know
if you got an answer or not. Try to stick to one NG when possible. It
would probably be better if you list everything about your computer
(to one newsgroup) and maybe someone can help you. There's a number of
things that can cause your machine to act as you state and with the
limited amount of info you've provided it's a little hard to guess
what your problem might be.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:05:02 -0600, Bobbie Leslie <bleslie3@cox.net> wrote:

>I notice you posted this to three newsgroups; therefore, I don't know
>if you got an answer or not. Try to stick to one NG when possible. It
>would probably be better if you list everything about your computer
>(to one newsgroup) and maybe someone can help you. There's a number of
>things that can cause your machine to act as you state and with the
>limited amount of info you've provided it's a little hard to guess
>what your problem might be.

Ok. Message understood.

I'm building a pc with new parts.

A8V de luxe.
Processor: AMD64 3500+
Memory: 1 X 1 GB Corsair DDR 400 (in slot B1)
Videocard: Aopen Aeolus Gforce 6800GT 256MB DDR III
PSU: Coolermaster 450W

There is nothing connected to the system but mentioned above.
(No HD's, no CD's, no floppy, nothing)

The A8V will not post.
With a cheap VGA card it works ok, flashed the A8V to 1009.002b
Tried another 6800GT, no post.
Then (because of all the postings about lack of power) I connected
the power connector of the 6800GT to a second 450W PSU.
Still no post.

That is about it.

Bert

Paul

Splendid

In article <10q4fomkgvl4ma7@corp.supernews.com>,
do@not.mail.because.this.adress.is.invalid wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:05:02 -0600, Bobbie Leslie <bleslie3@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >I notice you posted this to three newsgroups; therefore, I don't know
> >if you got an answer or not. Try to stick to one NG when possible. It
> >would probably be better if you list everything about your computer
> >(to one newsgroup) and maybe someone can help you. There's a number of
> >things that can cause your machine to act as you state and with the
> >limited amount of info you've provided it's a little hard to guess
> >what your problem might be.
>
> Ok. Message understood.
>
> I'm building a pc with new parts.
>
> A8V de luxe.
> Processor: AMD64 3500+
> Memory: 1 X 1 GB Corsair DDR 400 (in slot B1)
> Videocard: Aopen Aeolus Gforce 6800GT 256MB DDR III
> PSU: Coolermaster 450W
>
> There is nothing connected to the system but mentioned above.
> (No HD's, no CD's, no floppy, nothing)
>
> The A8V will not post.
> With a cheap VGA card it works ok, flashed the A8V to 1009.002b
> Tried another 6800GT, no post.
> Then (because of all the postings about lack of power) I connected
> the power connector of the 6800GT to a second 450W PSU.
> Still no post.
>
> That is about it.
>
> Bert

Do you know if that 6800GT has any video BIOS updates ? Maybe
you can get the video card to run in another computer, and then
update the video BIOS. Some cards have a flash chip on board,
and it could be the video BIOS needs to be updated. If your
video card has no special features, and is a copy of the
reference 6800GT design, it is possible some other manufacturer's
video BIOS update might fix it.

This post hints at the fun you can have:
http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77045&highlight=video+bios

Some manufacturers who make video cards, seem "disconnected"
from Nvidia/ATI, and they ship product using the first release
BIOS made available for the GPU. That could be why the card
is not bug free - it just needs an update.

There used to be a circuit called "AGP Warn" on Asus motherboards.
But, if it misinterprets the state of the TYPEDET# signal, then
pressing the power button on the front of the computer case, would
result in no reaction at all (i.e. no fans would spin, no drives
spin up etc.). It doesn't sound like that is the problem.

If you can find one, you might try jamming a PCI video card
in the machine, make it the primary display, then try
installing the 6800GT. Maybe then, with a display to work
with, you'll get some idea of whether the card is accessable
(via seeing an entry in Device Manager etc). If the card
was "invisible", that could mean your supplier just has a
bad batch of cards.

HTH,
Paul

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Some video cards and MBs just don't like each other. I had a similar
problem with a Leadtek FX5200 and an Asus MB. I switched to an MSI FX5200
and it worked like a charm.

Doug
---
Doug's "MF Film Holder" for batch scanning "strips" of 120/220 medium format
film:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:18:54 GMT, " -" <xvvvz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Some video cards and MBs just don't like each other. I had a similar
>problem with a Leadtek FX5200 and an Asus MB. I switched to an MSI FX5200
>and it worked like a charm.

I agree, I'm giving up.
I'm giving back those two (!) bloody expensive Aopen cards and will try my
luck with another 6800GT card, the Asus V9999.
Luckely I have a very friendly computer dealer ;)
BTW: Those Aeolus Aopen cards had the same effect in other PC's I tried today,
no post.
Two DOA cards? Here is a negative advise for future buyers...

Bert