Formatting a new hard disk

Ron

Can anyone please tell me how to format a new hard disk
in Windows XP? I just installed a new slave hard disk
and when I try to format it to NTFS, it tells me that I
need to quit and disk utilities before I can proceed. I
am not running any aftermarket disk utilities, so I must
assume that it is the Windows disk utilities that are
causing me the problem. Any suggestions on how to turn
these off would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ron

Install xp cd,restart computer,boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter
for password,at cmd screen type:DiskPart In DiskPart all drives
are shown,get the letter for the drive(say D:),you can then delete,
or create a partition,create,then Esc DiskPart,back in cmd type:
FORMAT D: /FS:ntfs When its thru type:EXIT If you need help,
type:HELP in cmd

"Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone please tell me how to format a new hard disk
> in Windows XP? I just installed a new slave hard disk
> and when I try to format it to NTFS, it tells me that I
> need to quit and disk utilities before I can proceed. I
> am not running any aftermarket disk utilities, so I must
> assume that it is the Windows disk utilities that are
> causing me the problem. Any suggestions on how to turn
> these off would be greatly appreciated.

Ron - You should be able to use the built in Disk Management utility. Right
click My computer, left click 'Manage'. In the screen that opens up, Disk
Management should be near the middle.

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Ron

That is going to be the safest and easiest way to format the harddrive.
The aforementioned Recovery Console process is a little dangerous as
mistakes are very easy to make and screw things up. Once you find Disk
Management by way of how Frank told you, right click on the slave drive
and choose format.

The reason it probably is not letting you format is that System Restore
is probably running on that disk. You can try disabling that for your
slave drive as well.

Nathan McNulty