K8v SE Deluxe --AMD 64 bit processor

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2004 11:15:57 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance.

I am running the asus k8v se deluxe.
-Can I manually toggle between 32-bit and 64-bit processing?
-How do I know which is set?
-Thanks
-Josh Beck
November 24, 2004 11:15:58 PM

I think unless you run a 64-bit OS it will be in 32-bit mode...

A non-related question: is your system stable? I am asking since I have the
same motherboard and I am getting regular BSODs on bootup... If it is
stable, could you please list your components and tell me whether you have
seen any BSODs while putting it together?

Thanks,
/MM

"Josh Beck" <Webmaster@freewebspace.planetdns.net> wrote in message

> Hello, and thanks in advance.
>
> I am running the asus k8v se deluxe.
> -Can I manually toggle between 32-bit and 64-bit processing?
> -How do I know which is set?
> -Thanks
> -Josh Beck

November 24, 2004 11:15:58 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:15:57 GMT, Josh Beck
<Webmaster@freewebspace.planetdns.net> wrote:

>Hello, and thanks in advance.
>
>I am running the asus k8v se deluxe.
> -Can I manually toggle between 32-bit and 64-bit processing?
> -How do I know which is set?
> -Thanks
> -Josh Beck

The nice thing about AMD64 is it can run both 32 and 64 bit software at
the same time under a 64-bit OS, you just need 64-bit hardware drivers,
on the Windows side WinXP64 and the 64-bit drivers are still in beta
testing.

Download (or order CD) Free 360 Day Trial Windows® XP 64-Bit Edition
http://www.amd.com/winxp4

AMD 64 Device Driver Support for Windows and Linux
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,3...

Cheers,
Ed
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2004 11:34:18 PM

MM wrote:

> I think unless you run a 64-bit OS it will be in 32-bit mode...
>
> A non-related question: is your system stable? I am asking since I have
> the same motherboard and I am getting regular BSODs on bootup... If it is
> stable, could you please list your components and tell me whether you have
> seen any BSODs while putting it together?
>
> Thanks,
> /MM
I'm not sure what BSOD stands for.
Josh Beck

> "Josh Beck" <Webmaster@freewebspace.planetdns.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello, and thanks in advance.
>>
>> I am running the asus k8v se deluxe.
>> -Can I manually toggle between 32-bit and 64-bit processing?
>> -How do I know which is set?
>> -Thanks
>> -Josh Beck

November 25, 2004 12:46:55 AM

>> I think unless you run a 64-bit OS it will be in 32-bit mode...

Yep, WinXP64 Bit uses 64bit capabilities, otherwise WinXP will run in 32bit
mode, both is possible, but as user You have no chance of "switching". The
OS determines the mode, so to run/use 64 bit xyou will need WinXp64 bit or
for sure Linux with 64bit.

>> A non-related question: is your system stable? I am asking since I have
>> the same motherboard and I am getting regular BSODs on bootup... If it is
>> stable, could you please list your components and tell me whether you
>> have
>> seen any BSODs while putting it together?

Nope, perfectly stable, I´m not sure having seen a BSOD on my AMD64 system
ever.

>> Thanks,
>> /MM
> I'm not sure what BSOD stands for.

BSOD = Blue Screen of death=fatal error with no chance to continue working
only a reset helps

Frank
November 25, 2004 12:46:56 AM

"Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message

> Nope, perfectly stable, I?m not sure having seen a BSOD on my AMD64 system
> ever.

Come over to my place :(  I am seeing them several times a day... And I can't
figure out what the hell the problem is... My configuration:

K8V SE Deluxe
Athlon 64 3000+
512 MB PC3200
G4MX440-T8X GeForce 4 AGP video card
Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD attached to VIA controller (boot drive)
Maxtor 30GB IDE HDD on primary IDE
Lite-On DVD RW on secondary IDE
Antec case with Antec 380W PSU

I installed latest drivers for everything I could find. I ran memtest86 and
Prime95 overnight with no problems. I tried uninstalling SP2 and then
reinstalled XP from scratch leaving it at SP1 level, still the same thing.
Most of the BSODs happen when rebooting and the stop error is usually 0x8E,
however once in a while it would crash randomly. It seems the problem lies
with one of the drivers, but I can't figure out which one...

/MM
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2004 12:46:57 AM

"MM" <mbmsv@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
>>
>> Nope, perfectly stable, I?m not sure having seen a BSOD on my AMD64
>> system
>> ever.
>
> Come over to my place :(  I am seeing them several times a day... And I
> can't
> figure out what the hell the problem is... My configuration:
>
> K8V SE Deluxe
> Athlon 64 3000+
> 512 MB PC3200
> G4MX440-T8X GeForce 4 AGP video card
> Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD attached to VIA controller (boot drive)
> Maxtor 30GB IDE HDD on primary IDE
> Lite-On DVD RW on secondary IDE
> Antec case with Antec 380W PSU
>
> I installed latest drivers for everything I could find. I ran memtest86
> and
> Prime95 overnight with no problems. I tried uninstalling SP2 and then
> reinstalled XP from scratch leaving it at SP1 level, still the same thing.
> Most of the BSODs happen when rebooting and the stop error is usually
> 0x8E,
> however once in a while it would crash randomly. It seems the problem lies
> with one of the drivers, but I can't figure out which one...

I have a K8V Deluxe that is stable. I have a few dual boots including
WinXP64 and some x86_64 Linux distros. My o/s of choice is WinXP 32 bit
mode. I don't think I have ever seen a BSOD on this system.

It's hard to detect something that seems random. Just to eliminate the o/s
or driver, install a Linux distro and see how that works.
November 25, 2004 5:20:28 AM

>I think unless you run a 64-bit OS it will be in 32-bit mode...
>
>A non-related question: is your system stable? I am asking since I have the
>same motherboard and I am getting regular BSODs on bootup... If it is
>stable, could you please list your components and tell me whether you have
>seen any BSODs while putting it together?
>
>Thanks,
>/MM

XP Home edition
Using K8vSE DL for 5+ months with no problems whatsoever... very stable system
indeed. Most recent bios.

3200 Clawhammer (1meg sec cache version) OC to 3400
6800 GT running above ultra speeds. with Artic Cooler silencer fitted
2 x 512meg 3200 twinmos memory
2 x Sata Maxtor 160meg h/drives (on Promise controller) not Raided.
Audigy sound card
Pinnacle TV card
Pioneer DVR 108
Pioneer DVR 106
Pioneer DVD116
Liteon 32 speed CDR
Enermax 430watt whisper Power supply
Samsung color laser on usb2
Epson Rx500 on usb2
1 x 7in1 internal usb2 card reader
Linksys SR41 cable Router for Network system I use at home.

Touch wood I've not had a blue screen for months. When I have had them in the
past its nearly always been caused by a stick of faulty memory , running
memtest86 usually shows this up if faulty.

Mike
November 25, 2004 4:29:31 PM

"m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message

> It's hard to detect something that seems random. Just to eliminate the o/s
> or driver, install a Linux distro and see how that works.

Can it boot from a SATA drive? Not that I want to, but will it let me to
create a partition?

Thanks,
/MM
November 25, 2004 4:37:14 PM

"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> XP Home edition
> Using K8vSE DL for 5+ months with no problems whatsoever... very stable
system
> indeed. Most recent bios.
>
> 3200 Clawhammer (1meg sec cache version) OC to 3400
> 6800 GT running above ultra speeds. with Artic Cooler silencer fitted
> 2 x 512meg 3200 twinmos memory
> 2 x Sata Maxtor 160meg h/drives (on Promise controller) not Raided.
> Audigy sound card
> Pinnacle TV card
> Pioneer DVR 108
> Pioneer DVR 106
> Pioneer DVD116
> Liteon 32 speed CDR
> Enermax 430watt whisper Power supply
> Samsung color laser on usb2
> Epson Rx500 on usb2
> 1 x 7in1 internal usb2 card reader
> Linksys SR41 cable Router for Network system I use at home.
>
> Touch wood I've not had a blue screen for months. When I have had them in
the
> past its nearly always been caused by a stick of faulty memory , running
> memtest86 usually shows this up if faulty.

Wow, your system is definitely much more sophisticated than mine and it
works too :)  I am starting to blame a video card... I wonder if there is a
list of video cards somewhere that guaranteed to work with K8SE DL? I would
like something cheaper than what you are using...

I found yesterday that my video card shares an interrupt with the onboard
1394 controller. This is not very nice since video cards frequently don't
like their interrupt to be shared. However, I doubt I can change this...

Also, why did you put your drives on Promise? I am confused why ASUS needed
to have 2 different RAID controllers on their motherboard... I put my drive
on Via since I thought it was more straightforward and also because I
believe it is faster...

/MM
November 25, 2004 9:44:17 PM

>"m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message
>>
>> It's hard to detect something that seems random. Just to eliminate the o/s
>> or driver, install a Linux distro and see how that works.
>
>Can it boot from a SATA drive? Not that I want to, but will it let me to
>create a partition?
>
>Thanks,
>/MM

Of course! . I am only using Sata drives.

I also occasionally boot from a compact flash card which I push in when I want
to create a Ghost image. (Ghost utils etc are on CF card)

Board has plenty of bios boot options... you can also quickly select the
bootable drive by pressing F8 when booting.
When installing XP etc. you do need to install the Sata drivers for XP at the
start of the installation by pressing F6 when prompted.

IMO its not a bad board at all.... certainly very stable. My only real
criticism is that it does not lock its buses when overclocking so limiting its
overclock potential, although its certainly possible to OC a reasonable amount.
My 3200 1meg cache clawhammer cpu seems to have excellent OC capabilities, at
least I assume it would have, based on the fact that I currently have it OC to
215fsb (430) while at the same time I have the Vcore reduced down to 1.4v when
the default is of course 1.5v so the fact I can OC it a fair amount and have it
running at a lower vcore tells me it would be an excellent OCer on the right
board!

Mike
November 25, 2004 9:44:18 PM

> Of course! . I am only using Sata drives.

That was a question about Linux...

> I also occasionally boot from a compact flash card which I push in when I
want
> to create a Ghost image. (Ghost utils etc are on CF card)

BTW, what utility are you using for ghosting?

> Board has plenty of bios boot options... you can also quickly select the
> bootable drive by pressing F8 when booting.
> When installing XP etc. you do need to install the Sata drivers for XP at
the
> start of the installation by pressing F6 when prompted.

That of course I know. How else would have I set it up at all...

> IMO its not a bad board at all.... certainly very stable. My only real
> criticism is that it does not lock its buses when overclocking so limiting
its
> overclock potential, although its certainly possible to OC a reasonable
amount.
> My 3200 1meg cache clawhammer cpu seems to have excellent OC capabilities,
at
> least I assume it would have, based on the fact that I currently have it
OC to
> 215fsb (430) while at the same time I have the Vcore reduced down to 1.4v
when
> the default is of course 1.5v so the fact I can OC it a fair amount and
have it
> running at a lower vcore tells me it would be an excellent OCer on the
right
> board!

This is all very cool, but overclocking is not on my agenda. All I want is
to get the darn system stable.

/MM
November 25, 2004 10:17:10 PM

>"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>Wow, your system is definitely much more sophisticated than mine and it
>works too :)  I am starting to blame a video card... I wonder if there is a
>list of video cards somewhere that guaranteed to work with K8SE DL? I would
>like something cheaper than what you are using...

I'm now retired... and playing around on the computer gives me an interest,
together with photography, and RC model planes its one of the hobbies I indulge
myself.... when you snuff it you cant take it with you. Spent a bl***dy fortune
on computers over the last 30years.

>I found yesterday that my video card shares an interrupt with the onboard
>1394 controller. This is not very nice since video cards frequently don't
>like their interrupt to be shared. However, I doubt I can change this...

They reckon its not advisable to share the IRQ on the video card... but in
practice I've never found it to be an issue. Certainly should not matter with XP
anyway. If I remember correctly my previous Epox 8RDA+ shared the video IRQ with
about 2 or 3 other devices, I was not keen on it myself but it always worked
fine.

>Also, why did you put your drives on Promise? I am confused why ASUS needed
>to have 2 different RAID controllers on their motherboard... I put my drive
>on Via since I thought it was more straightforward and also because I
>believe it is faster...

Purely because I found that my hard-drive activity led did not work if I used
the Via Sata controller. I did do some speed comparisons and I found there was
little difference between them, plus on my previous system I had been using a
Promise TX2 ultra ide card without problems so I went with the Promise one.

Mike
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2004 10:58:11 PM

> "m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message
>>
>> It's hard to detect something that seems random. Just to eliminate the
>> o/s
>> or driver, install a Linux distro and see how that works.
>
> Can it boot from a SATA drive? Not that I want to, but will it let me to
> create a partition?

Sorry, just got back.

I have SuSE and FC2. Both have a Promise SATA driver. I imagine they would
have the VIA SATA driver also.
November 25, 2004 11:13:15 PM

>"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Of course! . I am only using Sata drives.

sorry... crossed messages. :-(((
but to answer the question anyway... the answer is still yes
I run a duel boot system myself. XP and Susie on the other.

and I use Norton Ghost for imaging drives. used it for years.

Ok.. back to your problem...

Elimination time!. If your getting regular Bsods and memtest86 checks your
memory out as being okay then I would normally run the m/c with the minimum
cards installed to run the system. You have to eliminate stuff, then put them
back in one at a time.

What makes you suspect your video card?, do you not have another just to prove a
point or maybe borrow one.

If I start getting Bsods this is what I do.

1. check out memory using memtest86 maybe also
ease off memory timings to see if that resolves bsods.
I may also increase vcore and DDR voltages 1 notch to see if that helps, can
always put them back down if they don't.

2. I would load a known good ghost image just to eliminate bad drivers or
anything to do with current OS install. May not be possible for you however.

3: If all else fails, I would check all voltages, change P/S maybe, and if
necessary reduce system down to bare requirements needed to run until its
hopefully running stable. Its certainly easier when hardly anything is plugged
in.

As an example.. a few months ago I built a gaming system for my son, it would
boot up fine but occasionally the damm thing would just suddenly lock up solid.
I checked out all the usual stuff...voltages, memory, bios setting etc.
It proved to be something very simple to fix although it took 3 or 4 days of
pulling hair out before I managed to resolve it.

During the many tests I did, I discovered it was only playing up when the cd
drives were connected, he had purchased a pioneer 106 DVD burner and a Liteon
cd reader. It was the Liteon that was causing the problems, I found that WinXP
was stable if I disabled the dma on that cd-drive, when I re-enabled the DMA
windows started locking up again... but a real pig to find the cause.
That cd-drive simply did not like having its dma enabled for some reason,
probably a little faulty, although he's still using it today.

Sorry for rambling on.... but I'm sure you get the idea. Hope yours is as easy
to fix but not so hard to find.

Regards

Mike
November 25, 2004 11:13:16 PM

"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p 8ccq0hv7v14vqbkk9jp61jaa83jkq1l96@4ax.com...

> What makes you suspect your video card?, do you not have another just to
prove a
> point or maybe borrow one.

Well, for one thing it is the only add-on card in the system, and then one
of the last blue screens I got was after I had moved my mouse while the
monitor was in the power saving mode. The system was obviously OK until I
moved the mouse since it managed to turn the monitor on, but what I saw when
it woke up was the blue screen with the 0xC5 stop error, which is clearly a
driver problem, however it wouldn't tell me which driver. The only other
video card I have is a low end ATI, which I took out of my previous system
for a similar reason :)  Maybe still worth a try...

> It was the Liteon that was causing the problems, I found that WinXP
> was stable if I disabled the dma on that cd-drive, when I re-enabled the
DMA
> windows started locking up again... but a real pig to find the cause.
> That cd-drive simply did not like having its dma enabled for some reason,
> probably a little faulty, although he's still using it today.

Hmm... I have a Liteon DVD writer in this system...

Thanks a lot for your help.

/MM
November 26, 2004 1:57:06 AM

> Sorry, just got back.
>
> I have SuSE and FC2. Both have a Promise SATA driver. I imagine they would
> have the VIA SATA driver also.

No problem! Thanks for the info.

/MM
November 26, 2004 3:44:00 AM

Forgot to ask which video card are you using?

Thanks,
/MM
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 27, 2004 12:12:27 PM

> Forgot to ask which video card are you using?

nVidia GeForce FX 5200 with the MS drivers.
!