Asus K8V-X - PC Starts, No Output

I purchased a ASUS K8V-X from eBuyer.co.uk last week, and have put
together my own system. The graphics card is an XFX GeForce FX5200
256MB DDR. For some reason, when powering on the computer the
fan/processor kicks in (as do the various lights etc), but nothing is
output to the monitor. I know the graphics card works, as I have
tested it in another PC.

Also, the CD-ROM in the box won't open when connected to the
motherboard and powered on, but it opens fine when the IDE cable is
not connected to the back (i.e, just power going to it). I've also
tried a different power supply in the system to no avail.

Would you think this suggests that the motherboard is damaged and I
should ask for it replaced, or do you think this is an issue with
something else.

Thanks for the help

Paul

Splendid

In article <7fcfc61f.0411241350.5587562a@posting.google.com>,
d@ppleyard.org.uk (David Appleyard) wrote:

> I purchased a ASUS K8V-X from eBuyer.co.uk last week, and have put
> together my own system. The graphics card is an XFX GeForce FX5200
> 256MB DDR. For some reason, when powering on the computer the
> fan/processor kicks in (as do the various lights etc), but nothing is
> output to the monitor. I know the graphics card works, as I have
> tested it in another PC.
>
> Also, the CD-ROM in the box won't open when connected to the
> motherboard and powered on, but it opens fine when the IDE cable is
> not connected to the back (i.e, just power going to it). I've also
> tried a different power supply in the system to no avail.
>
> Would you think this suggests that the motherboard is damaged and I
> should ask for it replaced, or do you think this is an issue with
> something else.
>
> Thanks for the help

Is the +12V 2x2 connector fitted to the motherboard ? That
should allow the motherboard to start.

Try assembling the motherboard outside the case, in case something
is shorting to the board.

I don't know what your CDROM symptoms mean, as I wouldn't have
thought the CDROM would jam up based on what is on the cable.
I wonder it this has something to do with the motherboard
staying in reset ? Maybe a reset signal can prevent a CDROM
from working ? Checking my copy of volume 2 of the ATAPI spec,
there is a RESET- signal, and that means the motherboard is
jammed in reset. Try disconnecting the reset button from the
PANEL header, as the reset button could be failed shorted.

So, either a power problem of some sort, or a stuck reset
button could be doing this. Try using just a separate
power switch connected to the PANEL header, to turn on
the board.

HTH,
Paul