P2BS Memory Question

Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What am I
missing here, Thanks, Mike

Paul

Splendid

In article <Xlbpd.84$484.35@fe09.lga>, "John Smith" <recons@nospam.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
> plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
> megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What am I
> missing here, Thanks, Mike

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/memsubtype.asp?type=SDRAM+PC133
Click 168 pins and move to the next screen. There is a warning:

"PC133 modules MAY NOT BE BACKWARD COMPATIBLE to PC100 machines
Systems using the 440BX, 810 or 810e chipsets should only use
PC100 memory."

The reason why becomes apparent when you download the datasheet
for the product, by clicking a part number from the list.
I clicked on a few 256MB modules, and they are single sided
and using 32Mx8 chips. I think you want (16) 16Mx8 chips on
a module.

The reason why they are doing this is explained here:

http://www.crucial.com/library/128Mb_vs_256Mb.asp

What this means is, Kingston wants to sell the cheaper 32Mx8
chips on the PC133 DIMMS, and only the PC100 DIMMs have 16Mx8
chips.

I would trust Crucial for the purchase of legacy memory products,
whereas for mainstream stuff (i.e. a DDR 512MB DIMM) you can
buy from just about anyone, and at least get a dimensionally
correct product.

You didn't list the part number of your modules, so look them
up on the web page. Note that some of the datasheets on the
Kingston page have mistakes in them (picture doesn't match text).

If you want, post the numbers on the face of the chip, including
the memory chip manufacturer's name, and maybe I can find some
data for you.

HTH,
Paul

Mike

Splendid

>Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
>plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
>megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What am I
>missing here, Thanks, Mike

Sounds like they are both 128megs to me!

Mike

Mike

Splendid

Paul Thanks, here is more informtion, Mike

I am stumped, I have Kingston Value Ram model KVR133X64C2/256. I put 2 - 256
Meg modules in and the BIOS only reports a total of 256 Megs of RAM, what
did I do wrong. I was under the impression that this board was not
sensitive to RAM and virtually ran on anything.

I noticed on the literature included with the RAM in bold is written "If
only a portion of the Kingston memory is recognized your system is probably
incompatible with the memory module. Your system may have an older chipset
that is unable to read the module properly". Any suggestions?

Mike wrote:
> Paul Thanks, here is more informtion, Mike
>
> I am stumped, I have Kingston Value Ram model KVR133X64C2/256. I put 2 - 256
> Meg modules in and the BIOS only reports a total of 256 Megs of RAM, what
> did I do wrong. I was under the impression that this board was not
> sensitive to RAM and virtually ran on anything.
>
> I noticed on the literature included with the RAM in bold is written "If
> only a portion of the Kingston memory is recognized your system is probably
> incompatible with the memory module. Your system may have an older chipset
> that is unable to read the module properly". Any suggestions?

As Paul explained, KVR133X64C2/256 modules have 8 chips organised as
32MB x 8-bit, which is not compatible with the 440BX chipset on the P2B-S.

You need 256MB modules with 16 chips organised as 16MB x 8-bit in order
for the full capacity to be recognised. They are available from
crucial.com with a compatibility guarantee.

P2B

>>In article <Xlbpd.84$484.35@fe09.lga>, "John Smith" <recons@nospam.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
>>>plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
>>>megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What
>>>am I
>>>missing here, Thanks, Mike
>>
>>http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/memsubtype.asp?type=SDRAM+PC133
>>Click 168 pins and move to the next screen. There is a warning:
>>
>> "PC133 modules MAY NOT BE BACKWARD COMPATIBLE to PC100 machines
>> Systems using the 440BX, 810 or 810e chipsets should only use
>> PC100 memory."
>>
>>The reason why becomes apparent when you download the datasheet
>>for the product, by clicking a part number from the list.
>>I clicked on a few 256MB modules, and they are single sided
>>and using 32Mx8 chips. I think you want (16) 16Mx8 chips on
>>a module.
>>
>>The reason why they are doing this is explained here:
>>
>>http://www.crucial.com/library/128Mb_vs_256Mb.asp
>>
>>What this means is, Kingston wants to sell the cheaper 32Mx8
>>chips on the PC133 DIMMS, and only the PC100 DIMMs have 16Mx8
>>chips.
>>
>>I would trust Crucial for the purchase of legacy memory products,
>>whereas for mainstream stuff (i.e. a DDR 512MB DIMM) you can
>>buy from just about anyone, and at least get a dimensionally
>>correct product.
>>
>>You didn't list the part number of your modules, so look them
>>up on the web page. Note that some of the datasheets on the
>>Kingston page have mistakes in them (picture doesn't match text).
>>
>>If you want, post the numbers on the face of the chip, including
>>the memory chip manufacturer's name, and maybe I can find some
>>data for you.
>>
>>HTH,
>> Paul

Mike

Splendid

Actually they are listed as 256 megs each according to Kingston. but this is
written on the instructions

"Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
>>plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
>>megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What am
>>missing here, Thanks, Mike
>>

> Sounds like they are both 128megs to me!
>
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

have Kingston Value Ram model KVR133X64C2/256.

> In article <Xlbpd.84$484.35@fe09.lga>, "John Smith" <recons@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
>> plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
>> megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What
>> am I
>> missing here, Thanks, Mike
>
> http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/memsubtype.asp?type=SDRAM+PC133
> Click 168 pins and move to the next screen. There is a warning:
>
> "PC133 modules MAY NOT BE BACKWARD COMPATIBLE to PC100 machines
> Systems using the 440BX, 810 or 810e chipsets should only use
> PC100 memory."
>
> The reason why becomes apparent when you download the datasheet
> for the product, by clicking a part number from the list.
> I clicked on a few 256MB modules, and they are single sided
> and using 32Mx8 chips. I think you want (16) 16Mx8 chips on
> a module.
>
> The reason why they are doing this is explained here:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/library/128Mb_vs_256Mb.asp
>
> What this means is, Kingston wants to sell the cheaper 32Mx8
> chips on the PC133 DIMMS, and only the PC100 DIMMs have 16Mx8
> chips.
>
> I would trust Crucial for the purchase of legacy memory products,
> whereas for mainstream stuff (i.e. a DDR 512MB DIMM) you can
> buy from just about anyone, and at least get a dimensionally
> correct product.
>
> You didn't list the part number of your modules, so look them
> up on the web page. Note that some of the datasheets on the
> Kingston page have mistakes in them (picture doesn't match text).
>
> If you want, post the numbers on the face of the chip, including
> the memory chip manufacturer's name, and maybe I can find some
> data for you.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Mike

Splendid

Thanks Paul, here is the part numbers:

> In article <Xlbpd.84$484.35@fe09.lga>, "John Smith" <recons@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
>> plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
>> megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What
>> am I
>> missing here, Thanks, Mike
>
> http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/memsubtype.asp?type=SDRAM+PC133
> Click 168 pins and move to the next screen. There is a warning:
>
> "PC133 modules MAY NOT BE BACKWARD COMPATIBLE to PC100 machines
> Systems using the 440BX, 810 or 810e chipsets should only use
> PC100 memory."
>
> The reason why becomes apparent when you download the datasheet
> for the product, by clicking a part number from the list.
> I clicked on a few 256MB modules, and they are single sided
> and using 32Mx8 chips. I think you want (16) 16Mx8 chips on
> a module.
>
> The reason why they are doing this is explained here:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/library/128Mb_vs_256Mb.asp
>
> What this means is, Kingston wants to sell the cheaper 32Mx8
> chips on the PC133 DIMMS, and only the PC100 DIMMs have 16Mx8
> chips.
>
> I would trust Crucial for the purchase of legacy memory products,
> whereas for mainstream stuff (i.e. a DDR 512MB DIMM) you can
> buy from just about anyone, and at least get a dimensionally
> correct product.
>
> You didn't list the part number of your modules, so look them
> up on the web page. Note that some of the datasheets on the
> Kingston page have mistakes in them (picture doesn't match text).
>
> If you want, post the numbers on the face of the chip, including
> the memory chip manufacturer's name, and maybe I can find some
> data for you.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Mike

Splendid

Thanks Paul, here are the part numbers:

I have Kingston Value Ram model KVR133X64C2/256. I put 2 - 256
Meg modules in and the BIOS only reports a total of 256 Megs of RAM, what
did I do wrong. I was under the impression that this board was not
sensitive to RAM and virtually ran on anything. By the way I am running the
current BIOS.

Mike wrote:
> Thanks Paul, here are the part numbers:

Why do you keep posting them?

You already know they are incompatible and need to be replaced.

P2B

> I have Kingston Value Ram model KVR133X64C2/256. I put 2 - 256
> Meg modules in and the BIOS only reports a total of 256 Megs of RAM, what
> did I do wrong. I was under the impression that this board was not
> sensitive to RAM and virtually ran on anything. By the way I am running the
> current BIOS.

>>In article <Xlbpd.84$484.35@fe09.lga>, "John Smith" <recons@nospam.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
>>>plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
>>>megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What
>>>am I
>>>missing here, Thanks, Mike
>>
>>http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/memsubtype.asp?type=SDRAM+PC133
>>Click 168 pins and move to the next screen. There is a warning:
>>
>> "PC133 modules MAY NOT BE BACKWARD COMPATIBLE to PC100 machines
>> Systems using the 440BX, 810 or 810e chipsets should only use
>> PC100 memory."
>>
>>The reason why becomes apparent when you download the datasheet
>>for the product, by clicking a part number from the list.
>>I clicked on a few 256MB modules, and they are single sided
>>and using 32Mx8 chips. I think you want (16) 16Mx8 chips on
>>a module.
>>
>>The reason why they are doing this is explained here:
>>
>>http://www.crucial.com/library/128Mb_vs_256Mb.asp
>>
>>What this means is, Kingston wants to sell the cheaper 32Mx8
>>chips on the PC133 DIMMS, and only the PC100 DIMMs have 16Mx8
>>chips.
>>
>>I would trust Crucial for the purchase of legacy memory products,
>>whereas for mainstream stuff (i.e. a DDR 512MB DIMM) you can
>>buy from just about anyone, and at least get a dimensionally
>>correct product.
>>
>>You didn't list the part number of your modules, so look them
>>up on the web page. Note that some of the datasheets on the
>>Kingston page have mistakes in them (picture doesn't match text).
>>
>>If you want, post the numbers on the face of the chip, including
>>the memory chip manufacturer's name, and maybe I can find some
>>data for you.
>>
>>HTH,
>> Paul

Yes, basically that's right. Motherboards using the BX chipset won't
recognize the newer, high density chips. If you have a 256 meg module
with 16 chips on it (8 on each side), it will work. If you have one
with only 8 (or fewer) chips on it, it won't work. The only good
solution is to get an older module.

Mike wrote:

> Actually they are listed as 256 megs each according to Kingston. but this is
> written on the instructions
>
> I noticed on the literature included with the RAM in bold is written "If
> only a portion of the Kingston memory is recognized your system is probably
> incompatible with the memory module. Your system may have an older chipset
> that is unable to read the module properly". Any suggestions?
>

> "Mike" <dy73ui39aHe5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>>Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
>>>plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
>>>megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What am
>>>missing here, Thanks, Mike
>>>

>>Sounds like they are both 128megs to me!
>>
>>Mike

Paul

Splendid

In article <vBOsd.5$856.1@fe09.lga>, "Mike" <recons@nospam.com> wrote:

> Thanks Paul, here are the part numbers:
>
> I have Kingston Value Ram model KVR133X64C2/256. I put 2 - 256
> Meg modules in and the BIOS only reports a total of 256 Megs of RAM, what
> did I do wrong. I was under the impression that this board was not
> sensitive to RAM and virtually ran on anything. By the way I am running the
> current BIOS.

Like "P2B" and Barry said, your module has 8 chips, and they are
32Mx8 devices. Only one half of the memory will be visible to
the computer, as the Northbridge can only address 16Mx8.

You can see the eight chip construction here:
http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR133X64C2_256.pdf

Contact Kingston and see if an exchange can be arranged.
Or sell those high density sticks on Ebay.

HTH,
Paul

> > In article <Xlbpd.84$484.35@fe09.lga>, "John Smith" <recons@nospam.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I have two Kingston PC133 SDRAM 256 meg sticks, why is it that when I
> >> plug them in the board only reads 256 total? If I take one out I get 128
> >> megs? These are new sticks and I am sure they are double sided. What
> >> am I
> >> missing here, Thanks, Mike
> >
> > http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/memsubtype.asp?type=SDRAM+PC133
> > Click 168 pins and move to the next screen. There is a warning:
> >
> > "PC133 modules MAY NOT BE BACKWARD COMPATIBLE to PC100 machines
> > Systems using the 440BX, 810 or 810e chipsets should only use
> > PC100 memory."
> >
> > The reason why becomes apparent when you download the datasheet
> > for the product, by clicking a part number from the list.
> > I clicked on a few 256MB modules, and they are single sided
> > and using 32Mx8 chips. I think you want (16) 16Mx8 chips on
> > a module.
> >
> > The reason why they are doing this is explained here:
> >
> > http://www.crucial.com/library/128Mb_vs_256Mb.asp
> >
> > What this means is, Kingston wants to sell the cheaper 32Mx8
> > chips on the PC133 DIMMS, and only the PC100 DIMMs have 16Mx8
> > chips.
> >
> > I would trust Crucial for the purchase of legacy memory products,
> > whereas for mainstream stuff (i.e. a DDR 512MB DIMM) you can
> > buy from just about anyone, and at least get a dimensionally
> > correct product.
> >
> > You didn't list the part number of your modules, so look them
> > up on the web page. Note that some of the datasheets on the
> > Kingston page have mistakes in them (picture doesn't match text).
> >
> > If you want, post the numbers on the face of the chip, including
> > the memory chip manufacturer's name, and maybe I can find some
> > data for you.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

Mike

Splendid

Paul, thanks for the information. I have not been able to connect to this
newsgroup for some reason, I did not see P2B ro Barrys response... Thanks
again, Mike