Question about P4S533 MB and P4 2.4A Ghz Processor

Greetings,

I am sure there is a very simple answer to this and hopefully someone out
there can assist.

Why won't the P4 2.4A Ghz processor work in an ASUS P4S533 mobo? I am
assuming it's probably voltage related or maybe it's just a firmware issue?

Thanks in advance...
Cheers
TC

BigJim

that is the same board I have and cpu it may be the memory causing the
problem
"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I am sure there is a very simple answer to this and hopefully someone out
> there can assist.
>
> Why won't the P4 2.4A Ghz processor work in an ASUS P4S533 mobo? I am
> assuming it's probably voltage related or maybe it's just a firmware
> issue?
>
> Thanks in advance...
> Cheers
> TC

Do you have the A version of the processor? There are 2.4 Ghz processors
that will work in this board. The 2.4A I think is called Preston core
Pentium? This has 1M L2 cache and a 533 FSB. I am pretty sure the memory is
not the problem as when the mobo powers up it sits there saying CPU Failure,
CPU Failure over and over. The ASUS site does not list this processor as
being supported on this board. It lists the 2.4 and 2.4 B which have 512 L2
cache and 533 FSB.

What firmware are you running on the motherboard? I know there is one
version beyond what I have but it still doesn't list this processor as being
supported.

Cheers
TC

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> that is the same board I have and cpu it may be the memory causing the
> problem
> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am sure there is a very simple answer to this and hopefully someone out
>> there can assist.
>>
>> Why won't the P4 2.4A Ghz processor work in an ASUS P4S533 mobo? I am
>> assuming it's probably voltage related or maybe it's just a firmware
>> issue?
>>
>> Thanks in advance...
>> Cheers
>> TC

BigJim

I see they make four different P4 2.4's now the Prescott, 800fsb, 533fsb,
400fsb.
that board will only run the 533fsb or 400fsb. My guess if you are right you
have the wrong one.
Hope you can exchange it. I built mine 2 years ago.