upgrading an old p3v4x

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I read that I could put a 1 gig 133 CPU in this thing, with an ASUS s370-DL
socket adapter and it would be stable but I also read that

"The p3v4x is notorious for being extremely picky about the slotket type. If
you want to run this board at a higher fsb than 100 and at a high cpu speed
you need an Asus slotket as other slotkets will give you nothing but
headaches. Registry errors when booting the OS are the most common
failures." The only adapter that was listed on the site was an S370-DL

This adapter is not only the most expensive but also hard to come across, I
have found other S370-OL and also a S370GU and a few other Asus adapters,
but I can't find out what the difference are on these.

Could anyone please give me some advice on upgrading this board, I already
have the 1 gig CPU at 133FSB.

Chris quoted:

> "The p3v4x is notorious for being extremely picky about the slotket type."

Well, as I always say, if it says it on the internet, then it must be true.

My sister has one. I told her to get it, and I put it together.

It all started several years back...

I had an Iwill Slocket II that was too tall to fit in my Inwin case, so I
figured I would sell it to her. Her Packard Bell Pentium 150 system
was sorely lacking, and she was eager for an upgrade. I put it in a new
Inwin desktop case with Coppermine Celeron 533 @ 800, and her old
Windows 95. It worked great for a couple years, with the memory set to
+33.

Then she bought a USB scanner. I upgraded it to Windows XP, put in
an 80GB WD drive, a Tualatin Celeron 1.1A on an Upgradeware Slot-T,
and a $29.95 Fry's special 512MB memory upgrade.

This board would not run the Celeron at 1.46 GHz. I tried the CPU and
Slot-T from my BX board, which has overclocked higher. No go, I had
to settle for the 124/31 setting. 1.364GHz, we'll live with it. Could be
the memory, could be the board. The only glitch was that the floppy
could not boot unless dropped to the 100MHz FSB. It worked fine
in Windows, though. Fortunately, she has never tried to boot a floppy.

She has since purchased a $15 USB 2 card with an NEC chip. Some
early VIA chips are known to be incompatible with, would you believe,
some VIA chipset motherboards. Not a chance I was willing to take.

If you were not already in possession of the 1GHz chip, I would have
suggested selling it on eBay. The last time I looked, they were selling for
over $50. The best things about this board are that they happily accept high
density PC-133 memory, they have ATA66 IDE controllers, and they don't
have the "bad capacitor" problem that plagues so many boards from the same
era.

Last week, I upgraded my mom's computer. I had this old Intel BX board from
a Gateway. I had a 1.1A Tualatin Celeron that would not run at 133MHz bus.
I had an MSI slocket that had been modified to run a Tualatin. I *thought* it
was going to be an inexpensive system to slap together. I couldn't have been
more wrong. The slocket was not stable in this board, and it exhibited the
famous "photoshop bug." Add the cost of a new Slot-T, ka ching! Then, I could
not get XP to work with that old Zoom 56K ISA modem. Ka ching! But wait,
the parallel port was buggered and I had to put in a parallel port PCI card. Ka
ching! Oh, what I could have bought for the price! Why do I mess with this old
stuff? Anyway, in the end, it runs all those card games really well.

BigJim

I think a 1 gig is about the limit of the board
"Chris" <sales@nation3m.com> wrote in message
>I read that I could put a 1 gig 133 CPU in this thing, with an ASUS s370-DL
>socket adapter and it would be stable but I also read that
>
> "The p3v4x is notorious for being extremely picky about the slotket type.
> If you want to run this board at a higher fsb than 100 and at a high cpu
> speed you need an Asus slotket as other slotkets will give you nothing but
> headaches. Registry errors when booting the OS are the most common
> failures." The only adapter that was listed on the site was an S370-DL
>
> This adapter is not only the most expensive but also hard to come across,
> I have found other S370-OL and also a S370GU and a few other Asus
> adapters, but I can't find out what the difference are on these.
>
> Could anyone please give me some advice on upgrading this board, I already
> have the 1 gig CPU at 133FSB.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I'm wondering if the old another asus slot key other than the DL would work.
Anyone know the difference between them?

Chris wrote:
> I read that I could put a 1 gig 133 CPU in this thing, with an ASUS s370-DL
> socket adapter and it would be stable but I also read that
>
> "The p3v4x is notorious for being extremely picky about the slotket type. If
> you want to run this board at a higher fsb than 100 and at a high cpu speed
> you need an Asus slotket as other slotkets will give you nothing but
> headaches. Registry errors when booting the OS are the most common
> failures." The only adapter that was listed on the site was an S370-DL
>
> This adapter is not only the most expensive but also hard to come across, I
> have found other S370-OL and also a S370GU and a few other Asus adapters,
> but I can't find out what the difference are on these.
>
> Could anyone please give me some advice on upgrading this board, I already
> have the 1 gig CPU at 133FSB.

I would try a Slot-T adapter - it's cheaper and more readily available
than the S370-DL. IME they are at least as good, possibly better - in a
couple of cases I was able to overclock slightly higher with Slot-T vs.
S370-DL.

All my Slot-T experience is on P2B series boards (I don't have a P3V4X),
but P3V4X is on the Slot-T compatibility list, and googling for "p3v4x
slot-t" finds a number of success stories - mostly with Tualatins
onboard, but Slot-T supports Coppermines equally well.

HTH

P2B

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:02:33 -0500, "Chris" <sales@nation3m.com>
wrote:

>I read that I could put a 1 gig 133 CPU in this thing, with an ASUS s370-DL
>socket adapter and it would be stable but I also read that
>
>"The p3v4x is notorious for being extremely picky about the slotket type. If
>you want to run this board at a higher fsb than 100 and at a high cpu speed
>you need an Asus slotket as other slotkets will give you nothing but
>headaches. Registry errors when booting the OS are the most common
>failures." The only adapter that was listed on the site was an S370-DL
>
>This adapter is not only the most expensive but also hard to come across, I
>have found other S370-OL and also a S370GU and a few other Asus adapters,
>but I can't find out what the difference are on these.
>
>Could anyone please give me some advice on upgrading this board, I already
>have the 1 gig CPU at 133FSB.

My P3V4X is still up and running with a 1 gig (133mhz fsb) cpu
installed in the S370-DL socket adapter. Before grabbing the S370-DL
I tried several other brands (the ABIT Slotket is the only brand name
I recall) with unpleasant and unreliable results. The P3V4X is
pretty fussy when you run the FSB at 133 mhz, so... if you can get
your hands on a 370-DL I would grab one.

Regards,

Ender
____
[____]
(OIIIIIIO)
[] []

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks for the info, So the ONLY adapter that you had success with was the
DL?? and all other brands gave your problems?? Now with the DL how does your
system run?? Do you know if I bought another ASUS non DL key adapter how it
would preform?