Ventrilo/Fans/Mic

July 10, 2004 7:17:02 PM

I use ventrilo for some of my gaming. A program to communicate through a mic. Ventrilo said windows xp could give a static problem when I transmit a message. But instead of static I get a thumping noise. Now could it be windows xp or my fans? Tested: Doesnt matter what mic I use and I tried using the the accessories ound recorder....and I came up with the same results. So my questions are...

1) Would it be better to use a usb mic..(possibly reduce or stop the thumping noise)?
2) Maybe a hot fix for windows xp?
3)Should I use a certain microphone for this situation that cancels that type of noise?

More about : ventrilo fans mic

Anonymous
July 11, 2004 1:50:16 AM

Now that sounds really weird. I'm not exactly sure what Ventrilo is, but
I'm sure that is the cause of your problems, not the mic and not
Windows. A microphone works through your sound card, so you may want to
make sure your sound card drivers are up to date, but generally
speaking, any odd noises caused from the mic are the fault of the
software program that is using them.

Nathan McNulty

Dan wrote:

> I use ventrilo for some of my gaming. A program to communicate through a mic. Ventrilo said windows xp could give a static problem when I transmit a message. But instead of static I get a thumping noise. Now could it be windows xp or my fans? Tested: Doesnt matter what mic I use and I tried using the the accessories ound recorder....and I came up with the same results. So my questions are...
>
> 1) Would it be better to use a usb mic..(possibly reduce or stop the thumping noise)?
> 2) Maybe a hot fix for windows xp?
> 3)Should I use a certain microphone for this situation that cancels that type of noise?
July 11, 2004 5:59:02 PM

Well I have always used the program and had no problems with it....I got my new computer recently with a bunch of fans...I tested out with a tissue ...put it on my mic jack...and the thumping got faint...almost to the point not hearing it...I'm really guessing it has to be the fans...but I will try and update some stuff too...but I dont think I can update anymore heh.

If my fans are the problem I will ...
1) Either reduce my fans
or
2) Make some sort of support for that area to reduce the vibrations

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Now that sounds really weird. I'm not exactly sure what Ventrilo is, but
> I'm sure that is the cause of your problems, not the mic and not
> Windows. A microphone works through your sound card, so you may want to
> make sure your sound card drivers are up to date, but generally
> speaking, any odd noises caused from the mic are the fault of the
> software program that is using them.
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Dan wrote:
>
> > I use ventrilo for some of my gaming. A program to communicate through a mic. Ventrilo said windows xp could give a static problem when I transmit a message. But instead of static I get a thumping noise. Now could it be windows xp or my fans? Tested: Doesnt matter what mic I use and I tried using the the accessories ound recorder....and I came up with the same results. So my questions are...
> >
> > 1) Would it be better to use a usb mic..(possibly reduce or stop the thumping noise)?
> > 2) Maybe a hot fix for windows xp?
> > 3)Should I use a certain microphone for this situation that cancels that type of noise?

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 5:10:04 AM

I am failing to see how your fans are going to affect the microphone.
Both of these use voltages, but they are separate and should not
interfere with one another. You could always try unplugging your fans
and see if that fixes the problem, but I highly doubt that is the cause.

Nathan McNulty

Dan wrote:

> Well I have always used the program and had no problems with it....I got my new computer recently with a bunch of fans...I tested out with a tissue ...put it on my mic jack...and the thumping got faint...almost to the point not hearing it...I'm really guessing it has to be the fans...but I will try and update some stuff too...but I dont think I can update anymore heh.
>
> If my fans are the problem I will ...
> 1) Either reduce my fans
> or
> 2) Make some sort of support for that area to reduce the vibrations
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Now that sounds really weird. I'm not exactly sure what Ventrilo is, but
>>I'm sure that is the cause of your problems, not the mic and not
>>Windows. A microphone works through your sound card, so you may want to
>>make sure your sound card drivers are up to date, but generally
>>speaking, any odd noises caused from the mic are the fault of the
>>software program that is using them.
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Dan wrote:
>>

>>>I use ventrilo for some of my gaming. A program to communicate through a mic. Ventrilo said windows xp could give a static problem when I transmit a message. But instead of static I get a thumping noise. Now could it be windows xp or my fans? Tested: Doesnt matter what mic I use and I tried using the the accessories ound recorder....and I came up with the same results. So my questions are...
>>>
>>>1) Would it be better to use a usb mic..(possibly reduce or stop the thumping noise)?
>>>2) Maybe a hot fix for windows xp?
>>>3)Should I use a certain microphone for this situation that cancels that type of noise?
>>

> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Now that sounds really weird. I'm not exactly sure what Ventrilo is, but
>>I'm sure that is the cause of your problems, not the mic and not
>>Windows. A microphone works through your sound card, so you may want to
>>make sure your sound card drivers are up to date, but generally
>>speaking, any odd noises caused from the mic are the fault of the
>>software program that is using them.
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Dan wrote:
>>

>>>I use ventrilo for some of my gaming. A program to communicate through a mic. Ventrilo said windows xp could give a static problem when I transmit a message. But instead of static I get a thumping noise. Now could it be windows xp or my fans? Tested: Doesnt matter what mic I use and I tried using the the accessories ound recorder....and I came up with the same results. So my questions are...
>>>
>>>1) Would it be better to use a usb mic..(possibly reduce or stop the thumping noise)?
>>>2) Maybe a hot fix for windows xp?
>>>3)Should I use a certain microphone for this situation that cancels that type of noise?

July 17, 2004 5:26:01 PM

The vibrations of the fans would vibrate the mic input. Creating noises and what not. I have fixed my problem by using a usb mic with noise cancelation. Got rid of the fan noise and a small problem with my mouse interfering some how ...it made a small noise everytime I move it.

!