Harddrive detect

I got 2 new harddrives which is 250GB each(western
digital). In bios setup can detect full capacity but in
the Windows XP Professional can detect only 125 GB each.
How can I detect full capacity?

bar

Problem
The full capacity of EIDE drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary) is not recognized in Windows 2000/XP.

Resolution
48-bit LBA support is necessary for drives larger than 137GB (128GB binary). The following conditions are necessary for the correct functioning of 48-bit LBA support in Windows 2000/XP:

Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) must be installed for Windows XP versions prior to August 2002. For information about SP1, see Microsoft Article 322389.

The system must have a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) installed. This includes EIDE controller card BIOSs.

You must enable the support in the Windows registry.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base articles listed below provide important information about 48-bit LBA support for drives larger than 137GB in Windows. For full details, carefully review the relevant article.

48-bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
"lab" wrote:

> I got 2 new harddrives which is 250GB each(western
> digital). In bios setup can detect full capacity but in
> the Windows XP Professional can detect only 125 GB each.
> How can I detect full capacity?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

To see drives larger than 137Gb you must have XP SP1 installed and 48-bit
LBA turned on.