David

When I go to the device manager, expand ATA/ATAPI controllers , then
highlight Primary IDE and right click and select properties, there is
no advanced tab there.

Thats where I should go to enable DMA right?

On my primary IDE there are two fairly modern Seagate ST380021A 80G
drives, one as the master and the other as slave. Nothing on the
Secndary IDE. The Seagate website lists this drive as having DMA

Also in an attemp to rule out the IDE cable, I bought a new
UDMA133/100 cable that is only 18 inches long rather than the 24
inches as was the old cable and I made sure the long end with the blue
connector was connected to the Motherboard and for the other, master
device at end, and slave 6 inches from the end. Thats the right way
isn't it?

I uninstalled the primary and secondary IDE controllers and rebooted
Windows a couple of times and still no advanced tab option in the
Device manager for me to select DMA.

Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz, Gigabyte 8IEXP motherboard, and Windows XP
Professional.

What am I doing wrong????

Shows up as Advanced Settings as the second tab for me. Are you running
these in RAID configuration? If you aren't, you may want to do that as
you will get a good performance gain.

Also, try installing these two (first are updated chipset drivers and
second is Application Accelerator):

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/7484/eng/infinst_enu.exe&agr=N&ProductID=816

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?sType=&agr=N&PrdMap=&ProductID=663&url=/4857/eng/iaa23_enu.exe

David wrote:

> When I go to the device manager, expand ATA/ATAPI controllers , then
> highlight Primary IDE and right click and select properties, there is
> no advanced tab there.
>
> Thats where I should go to enable DMA right?
>
> On my primary IDE there are two fairly modern Seagate ST380021A 80G
> drives, one as the master and the other as slave. Nothing on the
> Secndary IDE. The Seagate website lists this drive as having DMA
>
> Also in an attemp to rule out the IDE cable, I bought a new
> UDMA133/100 cable that is only 18 inches long rather than the 24
> inches as was the old cable and I made sure the long end with the blue
> connector was connected to the Motherboard and for the other, master
> device at end, and slave 6 inches from the end. Thats the right way
> isn't it?
>

> I uninstalled the primary and secondary IDE controllers and rebooted
> Windows a couple of times and still no advanced tab option in the
> Device manager for me to select DMA.
>
> Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz, Gigabyte 8IEXP motherboard, and Windows XP
> Professional.
>
> What am I doing wrong????

David

Nathan

Thanks for the ideas. I installed both the updated chipset drivers and
theApplication Accelereator buy I still can't get the DMA to appear
on the Advanced Settings tab.

No I am not operating in the RAID configuration. I just have two hard
drives. One has the operating system and programs while the other has
data.

Any more ideas? Do you think that I need to reinstall Windows?

David

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:46:47 -0700, Nathan McNulty
<525676@betaweb.com> wrote:

>Shows up as Advanced Settings as the second tab for me. Are you running
>these in RAID configuration? If you aren't, you may want to do that as
>you will get a good performance gain.
>
>Also, try installing these two (first are updated chipset drivers and
>second is Application Accelerator):
>
>http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/7484/eng/infinst_enu.exe&agr=N&ProductID=816
>
>http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?sType=&agr=N&PrdMap=&ProductID=663&url=/4857/eng/iaa23_enu.exe
>
>David wrote:
>
>> When I go to the device manager, expand ATA/ATAPI controllers , then
>> highlight Primary IDE and right click and select properties, there is
>> no advanced tab there.
>>
>> Thats where I should go to enable DMA right?
>>
>> On my primary IDE there are two fairly modern Seagate ST380021A 80G
>> drives, one as the master and the other as slave. Nothing on the
>> Secndary IDE. The Seagate website lists this drive as having DMA
>>
>> Also in an attemp to rule out the IDE cable, I bought a new
>> UDMA133/100 cable that is only 18 inches long rather than the 24
>> inches as was the old cable and I made sure the long end with the blue
>> connector was connected to the Motherboard and for the other, master
>> device at end, and slave 6 inches from the end. Thats the right way
>> isn't it?
>>

>> I uninstalled the primary and secondary IDE controllers and rebooted
>> Windows a couple of times and still no advanced tab option in the
>> Device manager for me to select DMA.
>>
>> Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz, Gigabyte 8IEXP motherboard, and Windows XP
>> Professional.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong????

Actually, the Intel Application Accelerator controlles the DMA settings
now. But since you have two nice harddrives, you should really look at
running them in RAID. Here is a little more info on that :)

http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

Also, try Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.com to see if your
harddrives are running properly ;)

Nathan McNulty

David wrote:

> Nathan
>
> Thanks for the ideas. I installed both the updated chipset drivers and
> theApplication Accelereator buy I still can't get the DMA to appear
> on the Advanced Settings tab.
>
> No I am not operating in the RAID configuration. I just have two hard
> drives. One has the operating system and programs while the other has
> data.
>
> Any more ideas? Do you think that I need to reinstall Windows?
>
> David
>

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 21:46:47 -0700, Nathan McNulty
> <525676@betaweb.com> wrote:
>

>>Shows up as Advanced Settings as the second tab for me. Are you running
>>these in RAID configuration? If you aren't, you may want to do that as
>>you will get a good performance gain.
>>
>>Also, try installing these two (first are updated chipset drivers and
>>second is Application Accelerator):
>>
>>http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?url=/7484/eng/infinst_enu.exe&agr=N&ProductID=816
>>
>>http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/proc/T8Clearance.asp?sType=&agr=N&PrdMap=&ProductID=663&url=/4857/eng/iaa23_enu.exe
>>
>>David wrote:
>>

>>>When I go to the device manager, expand ATA/ATAPI controllers , then
>>>highlight Primary IDE and right click and select properties, there is
>>>no advanced tab there.
>>>
>>>Thats where I should go to enable DMA right?
>>>
>>>On my primary IDE there are two fairly modern Seagate ST380021A 80G
>>>drives, one as the master and the other as slave. Nothing on the
>>>Secndary IDE. The Seagate website lists this drive as having DMA
>>>
>>>Also in an attemp to rule out the IDE cable, I bought a new
>>>UDMA133/100 cable that is only 18 inches long rather than the 24
>>>inches as was the old cable and I made sure the long end with the blue
>>>connector was connected to the Motherboard and for the other, master
>>>device at end, and slave 6 inches from the end. Thats the right way
>>>isn't it?
>>>

>>>I uninstalled the primary and secondary IDE controllers and rebooted
>>>Windows a couple of times and still no advanced tab option in the
>>>Device manager for me to select DMA.
>>>
>>>Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz, Gigabyte 8IEXP motherboard, and Windows XP
>>>Professional.
>>>
>>>What am I doing wrong????

TRENDING THREADS