Andrew

i put an old NIC card into my computer and i didnt have
the software for it so it didnt work... so i bought a new
one and installed it without uninstalling the other NIC
card and now everytime i turn on my computer it says i
have new hardware detected... being the old NIC card and
i have tried uninstalling it and i have it physically
removed and i wonder if there is anyway to remedy that
problem

Remove all nics from device manager then reboot. It should find just one and
install the drivers

"andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i put an old NIC card into my computer and i didnt have
> the software for it so it didnt work... so i bought a new
> one and installed it without uninstalling the other NIC
> card and now everytime i turn on my computer it says i
> have new hardware detected... being the old NIC card and
> i have tried uninstalling it and i have it physically
> removed and i wonder if there is anyway to remedy that
> problem

Scott

Make sure u have removed the old card from device manager

"andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i put an old NIC card into my computer and i didnt have
> the software for it so it didnt work... so i bought a new
> one and installed it without uninstalling the other NIC
> card and now everytime i turn on my computer it says i
> have new hardware detected... being the old NIC card and
> i have tried uninstalling it and i have it physically
> removed and i wonder if there is anyway to remedy that
> problem

tried those several time any other way that u can think
of that might work?

What motherboard do you have ?
Are you sure there is not an ethernet connector on the motherboard ?

> tried those several time any other way that u can think
> of that might work?

i dont remember what kind of motherboard the computer was
made in 2001 when p4's came out but i do konw it doesnt
have a built in ether connector

THE REAL PROBLEM is getting windows to not think i have a
NIC card in that slot when its empty and i have tried
putting the NIC card in other slots it still wont work
with the other one active

Since nothing else worked I would suggest a Repair Installation of XP.
Make sure the nic card is not installed before you do the Repair
Installation.You will also have to install SP1 and other updates as the
installation will remove them.