hp dvd/cd writer

a b α HP
July 11, 2004 7:10:41 AM

I bought an HP a350y Pavilion in late December 2003
loaded with windows xp. For awhile the dvd/cd writer
combo would copy audio file from the cd rom and burn a
copy of it with no problem. It also worked fine as far as
the auto play function which I've got set up as default
to ask me what program I'd like to use when a blank media
is inserted.
Now I can't get it to burn from any source, or copy from
another drive as it does not seem to recognize a blank
media. The dvd/cd write combo drive will auto play when a
dvd is installed, the cdrom drive will auto play when an
audio cd is installed, but neither will now recognize and
ask me what program I want to use when a blank media is
inserted.
I understand a lot of people are having this issue as I
have read a lot of posts, but so far obviously I haven't
been able to find a fix. Is there a download fix from
microsoft for this?
I've tried almost everything from removing the driver
and hardware, then rebooting and letting windows
reinstall the driver and hardware, going into bios using
the f5 key to restore default settings for the drives and
then the f10 key to save settings and exit. Nothing works.
At one point I ran across a thread on microsoft speaking
of a fix for this, but it was still in research and was
not recommended by microsoft unless the computer in
question was greatly affected by this, which mine is. As
luck would have it, I got an error saying explorer
needed to close so I lost the path to the link. Can
anyone help me with this issue please?
You have no clue how appreciative I would be! Thanks
ahead of time!
..

More about : dvd writer

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 12, 2004 12:20:44 AM

the hp support site for your model shows a firmware update for a few dvd
models and also a bios update [5-6-94]. I would update the bios and get the
firmware updates if that is the burner your device manager see's. second as
bad as hp tech support is they still might have a solution or provide a
replacement drive.
"gkin20" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I bought an HP a350y Pavilion in late December 2003
> loaded with windows xp. For awhile the dvd/cd writer
> combo would copy audio file from the cd rom and burn a
> copy of it with no problem. It also worked fine as far as
> the auto play function which I've got set up as default
> to ask me what program I'd like to use when a blank media
> is inserted.
> Now I can't get it to burn from any source, or copy from
> another drive as it does not seem to recognize a blank
> media. The dvd/cd write combo drive will auto play when a
> dvd is installed, the cdrom drive will auto play when an
> audio cd is installed, but neither will now recognize and
> ask me what program I want to use when a blank media is
> inserted.
> I understand a lot of people are having this issue as I
> have read a lot of posts, but so far obviously I haven't
> been able to find a fix. Is there a download fix from
> microsoft for this?
> I've tried almost everything from removing the driver
> and hardware, then rebooting and letting windows
> reinstall the driver and hardware, going into bios using
> the f5 key to restore default settings for the drives and
> then the f10 key to save settings and exit. Nothing works.
> At one point I ran across a thread on microsoft speaking
> of a fix for this, but it was still in research and was
> not recommended by microsoft unless the computer in
> question was greatly affected by this, which mine is. As
> luck would have it, I got an error saying explorer
> needed to close so I lost the path to the link. Can
> anyone help me with this issue please?
> You have no clue how appreciative I would be! Thanks
> ahead of time!
> .

---
October 4, 2004 8:36:50 AM

go to microsoft.com and download "tweak ui" v.2.10.0.0
its probably a longshot but enable autoplay for the
drive type [cd/dvd rom] and [removable drives], also
check the box next to all your drives... If still no
workey uncheck and disable all then restart, check
all again and restart... may work!

also check the startup folder as well as "run" msconfig
to see if there are any cdr programs starting up with
windows that may turn autoplay off clone cd has an option
for it...alcohol 120% tooo and lots more do... Have Fun!!

or re-install windows!

!