Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard problem-I think. Please He..

Hi,

I have the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite keyboard and mouse, with XP
Pro.

My problem is that on startup from cold, at the screen where I am to
enter the password, as soon as I press a key the computer freezes. The
mouse pointer moves Ok before the freeze.

I next press the Restart button on the computer case, and everything
works correctly the second time around and throughout the session.

I did reinstall the Intellipoint and Intellitype software freshly
downloaded from MS, but this did not make any difference.

So I removed the Wireless Elite Desktop set, and refitted the 'old'
cabled keyboard and mouse. There were no problems.

The wireless transmitter is located about three feet away, out of
proximity to other electrical apparatus, and with only wood or glass
intervening. The battery status and the signal are practically full
strength.

Please advise how to correct this mis-operation of the Wireless Elite
Desktop set.

Many thanks.

Rex.

Maybe a driver update?
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Rex Imperator" <reximperator@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have the Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite keyboard and mouse, with XP
> Pro.
>
> My problem is that on startup from cold, at the screen where I am to
> enter the password, as soon as I press a key the computer freezes. The
> mouse pointer moves Ok before the freeze.
>
> I next press the Restart button on the computer case, and everything
> works correctly the second time around and throughout the session.
>
> I did reinstall the Intellipoint and Intellitype software freshly
> downloaded from MS, but this did not make any difference.
>
> So I removed the Wireless Elite Desktop set, and refitted the 'old'
> cabled keyboard and mouse. There were no problems.
>
> The wireless transmitter is located about three feet away, out of
> proximity to other electrical apparatus, and with only wood or glass
> intervening. The battery status and the signal are practically full
> strength.
>
> Please advise how to correct this mis-operation of the Wireless Elite
> Desktop set.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Rex.

Are you using PS/2 mode or USB mode?

I would guess the latter.

Make sure you are up to date on your bios updates, as many USB issues are
often fixed via that route.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

In article <e5hvyD4ZEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jason-
onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
> Are you using PS/2 mode or USB mode?
>
> I would guess the latter.
>
> Make sure you are up to date on your bios updates, as many USB issues are
> often fixed via that route.

Many thanks to all who responded.

I have two computers networked by cross over cable, with one set of
keyboard, mouse and monitor wired into a KVM switchbox. So I expect
basically, it is in PS2 mode.

As far as I can recall, this problem was not present immediately after
first installation of the Elite Desktop set in 11 February.

Since then, I use the computer for several hours every day, but the
battery level indicator has not moved much. It still shows about 90%
full. Is this normal? Is the battery drain that small?

In your experience, how long do standard, alkaline batteries last -
roughly?

I suppose logically, I should try replacing the batteries and see how it
performs. Will do, and will let you know the outcome. Please return to
this post from time to time.

Rex.

Yeah, I have a couple of wireless keyboards and mice, but they are
horrible at correctly reporting how much battery life is left. Also,
remember that you signal is going to be stroger the closer and more
direct your transmitter is to the mouse ;)

Nathan McNulty

Rex Imperator wrote:

> In article <e5hvyD4ZEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jason-
> onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
>
>>Are you using PS/2 mode or USB mode?
>>
>>I would guess the latter.
>>
>>Make sure you are up to date on your bios updates, as many USB issues are
>>often fixed via that route.
>>

> Many thanks to all who responded.
>
> I have two computers networked by cross over cable, with one set of
> keyboard, mouse and monitor wired into a KVM switchbox. So I expect
> basically, it is in PS2 mode.
>
> As far as I can recall, this problem was not present immediately after
> first installation of the Elite Desktop set in 11 February.
>
> Since then, I use the computer for several hours every day, but the
> battery level indicator has not moved much. It still shows about 90%
> full. Is this normal? Is the battery drain that small?
>
> In your experience, how long do standard, alkaline batteries last -
> roughly?
>
> I suppose logically, I should try replacing the batteries and see how it
> performs. Will do, and will let you know the outcome. Please return to
> this post from time to time.
>
> Rex.

In article <eR0PNKFaEHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, 525676@betaweb.com
says...
> Yeah, I have a couple of wireless keyboards and mice, but they are
> horrible at correctly reporting how much battery life is left. Also,
> remember that you signal is going to be stroger the closer and more
> direct your transmitter is to the mouse ;)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Rex Imperator wrote:
>
> > In article <e5hvyD4ZEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jason-
> > onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
> >
> >>Are you using PS/2 mode or USB mode?
> >>
> >>I would guess the latter.
> >>
> >>Make sure you are up to date on your bios updates, as many USB issues are
> >>often fixed via that route.

Hi,

As promised herewith report on most recent trials.

An AA Alkaline battery when new, gives a momentary short circuit current
of about 7 Amperes.

I replaced all three batteries in the keyboard, and all two in the mouse
with new ones. No change in performance. The computer still froze at the
first boot and needed to be reset once, before it allowed me to enter
the password.

The three batteries removed from the keyboard gave a short circuit
current of about 5 Amperes, so they still have quite a high charge
remaining.

The two batteries removed from the mouse gave a short circuit current of
about 3 Amperes, and these are still at a serviceable level.

I have also moved the receiver to within 6 inches of the mouse and 18
inches of the keyboard. But this made no difference.

Given that the wired keyboard and mouse do not have this problem, would
you say that I would be justified in returning the Wireless Elite
Desktop to the suppliers for exchange. Or do you think there is some
other procedure I could try to eliminate the problem?

Rex.

I would try this Rex. Use your other keyboard to boot into Safe Mode by
pressing F8 before Windows loads. Now uninstall the keyboard and mouse
software from the Add/Remove Programs. Now reboot with the other
keyboard still connected, and download the latest drivers from MS at
www.microsoft.com/keyboard . Install those and set up your keyboard
again and reboot and see if the problem goes away. It just sounds like
the wireless driver part wasn't working. Also, I would highly suggest
using USB if you have the option for your Wireless keyboard. I have had
bad luck with PS/2 wireless keyboards :(

Nathan McNulty

Rex Imperator wrote:

> In article <eR0PNKFaEHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, 525676@betaweb.com
> says...
>
>>Yeah, I have a couple of wireless keyboards and mice, but they are
>>horrible at correctly reporting how much battery life is left. Also,
>>remember that you signal is going to be stroger the closer and more
>>direct your transmitter is to the mouse ;)
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Rex Imperator wrote:
>>

>>>In article <e5hvyD4ZEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, jason-
>>>onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org says...

> Hi,
>
> As promised herewith report on most recent trials.
>
> An AA Alkaline battery when new, gives a momentary short circuit current
> of about 7 Amperes.
>
> I replaced all three batteries in the keyboard, and all two in the mouse
> with new ones. No change in performance. The computer still froze at the
> first boot and needed to be reset once, before it allowed me to enter
> the password.
>
> The three batteries removed from the keyboard gave a short circuit
> current of about 5 Amperes, so they still have quite a high charge
> remaining.
>
> The two batteries removed from the mouse gave a short circuit current of
> about 3 Amperes, and these are still at a serviceable level.
>
> I have also moved the receiver to within 6 inches of the mouse and 18
> inches of the keyboard. But this made no difference.
>
> Given that the wired keyboard and mouse do not have this problem, would
> you say that I would be justified in returning the Wireless Elite
> Desktop to the suppliers for exchange. Or do you think there is some
> other procedure I could try to eliminate the problem?
>
> Rex.

In article <OkElw#RaEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, 525676@betaweb.com
says...
> I would try this Rex. Use your other keyboard to boot into Safe Mode by
> pressing F8 before Windows loads. Now uninstall the keyboard and mouse
> software from the Add/Remove Programs. Now reboot with the other
> keyboard still connected, and download the latest drivers from MS at
> www.microsoft.com/keyboard . Install those and set up your keyboard
> again and reboot and see if the problem goes away. It just sounds like
> the wireless driver part wasn't working. Also, I would highly suggest
> using USB if you have the option for your Wireless keyboard. I have had
> bad luck with PS/2 wireless keyboards :(
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Rex Imperator wrote:
>
> > In article <eR0PNKFaEHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, 525676@betaweb.com
> > says...
> >
> >>Yeah, I have a couple of wireless keyboards and mice, but they are
> >>horrible at correctly reporting how much battery life is left. Also,
> >>remember that you signal is going to be stroger the closer and more

Hi and thanks.

Will do shortly, and watch this space.

Rex.

In article <MPG.1b60802c70fbd1e198968a@msnews.microsoft.com>,
reximperator@ntlworld.com says...
> Hi and thanks.
>
> Will do shortly, and watch this space.
>
> Rex.

Hi,

It does not work.

Nine times out of ten, I have to Reset, before the mouse and keyboard
will work first time.

On the tenth time, after I waggle the mouse about and click randomly,
the keyboard will next allow me to enter the password the first boot-up.

Anyone any thoughts on this phenomenon?

Rex

Hmm, I didn't see the original post, but I think I remember some of it.
I would try the keyboard and mouse on another computer and see if you
can get it to work on that one. If you can, then it is your computer,
if it doesn't, then you need to return the keyboard or request a
replacement. If it is your computer, I would just remove everything I
can find on my computer about the keyboard/mouse (software, drivers,
everything) and then reinstall it. I think you have already tried this,
so maybe try a clean install of Windows. Just back up all of your data
and reinstall Windows.

----
Nathan McNulty