Mouse pointer jumping

Running win2000 on an Asus P4C800-E with a 3.0 GHz Northwood and 1 GB of
ram. On some programs, notably PowerDesk 5.0, Photoshop 6.0, Netscape
mail, the mouse pointer will suddenly and frequently dive to the bottom
of the screen - and occasionally sideways as well. I have reloaded the
mouse driver, an A4 Tech WOP-35U dual-wheel mouse, and checked Windows'
dll files without success.

Does anyone have a clue here? I would deeply appreciate some guidance.

Colin

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Running win2000 on an Asus P4C800-E with a 3.0 GHz Northwood and 1 GB of
> ram. On some programs, notably PowerDesk 5.0, Photoshop 6.0, Netscape
> mail, the mouse pointer will suddenly and frequently dive to the bottom
> of the screen - and occasionally sideways as well. I have reloaded the
> mouse driver, an A4 Tech WOP-35U dual-wheel mouse, and checked Windows'
> dll files without success.
>
> Does anyone have a clue here? I would deeply appreciate some guidance.
>
> Colin

My mouse, a MS trackball, also jumps from time to time.

Its jumps are sudden, and seemingly to no particular direction, to the right
and upper,
to the left and upper, or lower, etc. It jumps in Mozzila Firefox and IE,
especially with
checkboxes; it jumps in web-based email, etc.

No clue as to why.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:52:10 +1300, Colin D
<ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Running win2000 on an Asus P4C800-E with a 3.0 GHz Northwood and 1 GB of
>ram. On some programs, notably PowerDesk 5.0, Photoshop 6.0, Netscape
>mail, the mouse pointer will suddenly and frequently dive to the bottom
>of the screen - and occasionally sideways as well. I have reloaded the
>mouse driver, an A4 Tech WOP-35U dual-wheel mouse, and checked Windows'
>dll files without success.
>
>Does anyone have a clue here? I would deeply appreciate some guidance.
>
>Colin

I developed a similar problem when I went to a wireless keyboard/mouse
using a similar system as yours. Not sure if it's the driver or the
hardware resetting itself every now and then. It's a wireless combo
from MS using the 5.0 drivers.

"aq" <awalk@liverpool.com> wrote in message

> "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
>> Running win2000 on an Asus P4C800-E with a 3.0 GHz Northwood and 1 GB of
>> ram. On some programs, notably PowerDesk 5.0, Photoshop 6.0, Netscape
>> mail, the mouse pointer will suddenly and frequently dive to the bottom
>> of the screen - and occasionally sideways as well. I have reloaded the
>> mouse driver, an A4 Tech WOP-35U dual-wheel mouse, and checked Windows'
>> dll files without success.
>>
>> Does anyone have a clue here? I would deeply appreciate some guidance.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> My mouse, a MS trackball, also jumps from time to time.
>
> Its jumps are sudden, and seemingly to no particular direction, to the
> right
> and upper,
> to the left and upper, or lower, etc. It jumps in Mozzila Firefox and IE,
> especially with
> checkboxes; it jumps in web-based email, etc.
>
> No clue as to why.

When my MS Trackball does that there is usually a
hair or fiber down in the little hole under the ball.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "aq" <awalk@liverpool.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> >> Running win2000 on an Asus P4C800-E with a 3.0 GHz Northwood and 1 GB
of
> >> ram. On some programs, notably PowerDesk 5.0, Photoshop 6.0, Netscape
> >> mail, the mouse pointer will suddenly and frequently dive to the bottom
> >> of the screen - and occasionally sideways as well. I have reloaded the
> >> mouse driver, an A4 Tech WOP-35U dual-wheel mouse, and checked Windows'
> >> dll files without success.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a clue here? I would deeply appreciate some guidance.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>

> > My mouse, a MS trackball, also jumps from time to time.
> >
> > Its jumps are sudden, and seemingly to no particular direction, to the
> > right
> > and upper,
> > to the left and upper, or lower, etc. It jumps in Mozzila Firefox and
IE,
> > especially with
> > checkboxes; it jumps in web-based email, etc.
> >
> > No clue as to why.
> >

> When my MS Trackball does that there is usually a
> hair or fiber down in the little hole under the ball.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Yes, I know that. I clean it quite regularly, recently almost daily since
the trackball
is probably 4 years. But cleaning only fixes for several hours or one or two
days.

Yet, I do not care much about that any more, until it worsens to the point
of wasting time.

Anthropy

Distinguished
May 3, 2003

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:58:04 -0800, Ismael Koehler <IK@home.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:52:10 +1300, Colin D
><ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>Running win2000 on an Asus P4C800-E with a 3.0 GHz Northwood and 1 GB of
>>ram. On some programs, notably PowerDesk 5.0, Photoshop 6.0, Netscape
>>mail, the mouse pointer will suddenly and frequently dive to the bottom
>>of the screen - and occasionally sideways as well. I have reloaded the
>>mouse driver, an A4 Tech WOP-35U dual-wheel mouse, and checked Windows'
>>dll files without success.
>>
>>Does anyone have a clue here? I would deeply appreciate some guidance.
>>
>>Colin
>
>I developed a similar problem when I went to a wireless keyboard/mouse
>using a similar system as yours. Not sure if it's the driver or the
>hardware resetting itself every now and then. It's a wireless combo
>from MS using the 5.0 drivers.

I had the same problem with a wireless mouse. Disappeared when I
changed back to wire mouse. I felt the problem lay in RF
interference probably more likely with the cheaper models.