P4c800-e Bios version 1014

Hi,

Just getting around to install the OS on my MCE2005 PC with an asus P4c800-e
MB

I noticed now it reads version 1014 for the bios.

Is the newer bios significantly btter that the upgrade is worth it?

Also, silly question, can i update the bios before I install the OS?

TIA,

jeff
4 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 bios version 1014

    In article <_qmdnbe86JKVnjXcRVn-pA@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just getting around to install the OS on my MCE2005 PC with an asus P4c800-e
    > MB
    >
    > I noticed now it reads version 1014 for the bios.
    >
    > Is the newer bios significantly btter that the upgrade is worth it?
    >
    > Also, silly question, can i update the bios before I install the OS?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > jeff

    To find out what the newer BIOS files fix, visit the download
    page and click on the "More" link for the file you are interested
    in. The release BIOS should have a release note in the "More" link,
    while the Beta BIOS never explains what it fixes.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx (search for mobo)
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4C800-E%20Deluxe&Type=All&SLanguage=en-us

    One thing you get in a newer BIOS, is microcode for P4 processors
    and support for new processor types. Normally, this isn't a big
    deal, but in the recent release of SP2 for WinXP, there is an
    issue with the version of microcode being used. If you have a Prescott
    processor, and an older BIOS, then after SP2 is installed, the computer
    may hang in the middle of the boot process. So, that is an incentive
    to update the BIOS, if you have a Prescott and plan on installing
    SP2. (If you do plan on installing SP2, use the Intel utility
    mentioned in this post, to check that your Prescott "revision"
    number is high enough for SP2. If it is not, flash a more recent
    BIOS.)

    http://www.google.com/groups?selm=eAqpSwjiEHA.2664%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

    Other BIOS will fix particular issues, or trivial ones. For example,
    at one time, at bootup, the BIOS would beep once for each connected
    USB device. This was driving people crazy, and leading them to
    conclude their mobo was busted. Asus turned off the beeping in a
    later BIOS. (The feature was created by AMI and not Asus.) A
    more particular issue was with large Hitachi/IBM disk drives
    and recovery from sleep. Reading the release notes for each BIOS
    in succession, will give you a good idea of what is to be gained.

    To see what release of BIOS is needed to run a particular type of
    processor, go here and enter your motherboard name:

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    Notice how, for any Celeron D processor, you would need a BIOS
    more recent than 1014.

    As for the BIOS update process - the first thing you do, is
    read the "More" link above, because quite frequently Asus will
    say not to use a particular method of updating the BIOS. Most
    boards have at least three methods - one involves a function
    inside the BIOS called EZflash, which is accessed by pressing
    a key combo (Alt-f2) at POST, the second involves making an
    MSDOS boot floppy and using a DOS flasher program, and the
    third method is Asus Update from inside Windows. (I consider
    the third method the most risky, as if anything in Windows
    upsets the flash process, you could be left dead in the water.
    If you do want to try Asus Update, make sure the BIOS file is
    downloaded to disk first, before flashing, as that gets
    networking issues out of the way.)

    Have a look in the manual for more details.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul,

    It says i need afudos version 2.07
    The latest one on Asus' site is as of 6/03 and there is no version number
    given.

    Also, I think i can follow the logic except for MB name, what is the correct
    thing to type at the prompt if my MB is the P4c800-e?

    TIA,

    jeff

    Ok, I have ASU Dos version 211

    My main probelems and questions are these?

    I have a win 98se boot disk, is this what i copy the asudos uncompressed to
    along with the bios?

    Can I just insert this boot disk and boot ?

    I'm not clear on what to rename the bios to (Motherboard is p4c800-e)
    instructions on line seem to want it to be renamed just p4c800.

    Almosty there,

    Thanks,

    jeff

    I am still using ver 1016 without any issues (two optical drives, RAID 0
    drive(s), backup IDE drive and not a single hiccup).

    Yes--you can update the BIOS before installing the OS--some prefer not to
    use the auto update feature but rather download afudos 2.11 and copy it and
    the unzipped BIOS to a bootable diskette and, using the correct syntax,
    update the BIOS. As for what you gain--look at the details of each of the
    newer BIOS versions at the following link:

    http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4C800-E%20Deluxe

    Good luck

    MikeSp
    ---------------------------------------

    "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just getting around to install the OS on my MCE2005 PC with an asus
    > P4c800-e
    > MB
    >
    > I noticed now it reads version 1014 for the bios.
    >
    > Is the newer bios significantly btter that the upgrade is worth it?
    >
    > Also, silly question, can i update the bios before I install the OS?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > jeff

Asus BIOS Motherboards