DMA Settings ???????

Hi, I was given these instructions to check my DMA settings for my CD drives:-

>Type devmgmt.msc and
>click OK. Now expand IDE\ASPI Controller and right click on Secondary
>Controller and click Properties. Now go to DMA Settings and make sure
>they are set to DMA if available. Do this for all the Controllers you
>have under your IDE\ASPI Controller.

I got up to "properties in Secondary Controller" and had no "DMA Settings" button/tab. How is this possible? Has something 'taken control' of the settings and if so how can I regain control?

Sorry, I'm using XP pro if that helps.

"J.J." wrote:

> Hi, I was given these instructions to check my DMA settings for my CD drives:-
>
> >Type devmgmt.msc and
> >click OK. Now expand IDE\ASPI Controller and right click on Secondary
> >Controller and click Properties. Now go to DMA Settings and make sure
> >they are set to DMA if available. Do this for all the Controllers you
> >have under your IDE\ASPI Controller.
>
> I got up to "properties in Secondary Controller" and had no "DMA Settings" button/tab. How is this possible? Has something 'taken control' of the settings and if so how can I regain control?

What drives (if any) do you have attached to your Secondary IDE Controller
on the motherboard?
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I was given these instructions to check my DMA settings for my CD
> drives:-
>
>>Type devmgmt.msc and
>>click OK. Now expand IDE\ASPI Controller and right click on Secondary
>>Controller and click Properties. Now go to DMA Settings and make sure
>>they are set to DMA if available. Do this for all the Controllers you
>>have under your IDE\ASPI Controller.
>
> I got up to "properties in Secondary Controller" and had no "DMA Settings"
> button/tab. How is this possible? Has something 'taken control' of the
> settings and if so how can I regain control?

Hi Cari,
It's a Samsung CD-Writer, The drivers seem to show up OK in Device Manager.
TIA

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What drives (if any) do you have attached to your Secondary IDE Controller
> on the motherboard?
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I was given these instructions to check my DMA settings for my CD
> > drives:-
> >
> >>Type devmgmt.msc and
> >>click OK. Now expand IDE\ASPI Controller and right click on Secondary
> >>Controller and click Properties. Now go to DMA Settings and make sure
> >>they are set to DMA if available. Do this for all the Controllers you
> >>have under your IDE\ASPI Controller.
> >
> > I got up to "properties in Secondary Controller" and had no "DMA Settings"
> > button/tab. How is this possible? Has something 'taken control' of the
> > settings and if so how can I regain control?

NO, My mistake, It's a LITE-ON LTR-40125W
TIA

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What drives (if any) do you have attached to your Secondary IDE Controller
> on the motherboard?
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>
> "J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I was given these instructions to check my DMA settings for my CD
> > drives:-
> >
> >>Type devmgmt.msc and
> >>click OK. Now expand IDE\ASPI Controller and right click on Secondary
> >>Controller and click Properties. Now go to DMA Settings and make sure
> >>they are set to DMA if available. Do this for all the Controllers you
> >>have under your IDE\ASPI Controller.
> >
> > I got up to "properties in Secondary Controller" and had no "DMA Settings"
> > button/tab. How is this possible? Has something 'taken control' of the
> > settings and if so how can I regain control?

Advanced driver can disable this tab. In case of the Intel chipset it should
be the Intel Application Accelerator.

Taking what you say literally (probably too literally), the DMA settings are
normally under the "advanced" tab for the IDE controllers. (By the way,
devmgmt.msc is a command-line way of launching Device Manager. You can get
there from the System control panel as well. I usually launch that by the
windows key + pause key combination.)

However, this is if you're using Microsoft's default drivers. If you are
using third-party drivers, the controls may be elsewhere or not available.

For example: I had a P4 mainboard (Asus P4S533) that used an SIS chipset. I
used SIS IDE drivers with it. Their DMA settings were not available through
Device Manager, but I vaguely recall that there was a utility available
under Programs that displayed the settings.

The same may apply to AMD Athlon systems using Via or nVidia chipsets, which
I expect to not use the Microsoft drivers. (I've not yet owned an Athlon
system, so I can't say from personal experience.)

HTH.

Address altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"J.J." <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I was given these instructions to check my DMA settings for my CD
drives:-

> >Type devmgmt.msc and
> >click OK. Now expand IDE\ASPI Controller and right click on Secondary
> >Controller and click Properties. Now go to DMA Settings and make sure
> >they are set to DMA if available. Do this for all the Controllers you
> >have under your IDE\ASPI Controller.
>
> I got up to "properties in Secondary Controller" and had no "DMA Settings"
button/tab. How is this possible? Has something 'taken control' of the
settings and if so how can I regain control?

Hi Jetro, I loaded the'Intel Application Accelerator' recently so maybe you are right.
What is the way around this, if any? I know Dma is set for my CD Reader and not set for CD-Writer by looking at system info in system tools.
TIA

"Jetro" wrote:

> Advanced driver can disable this tab. In case of the Intel chipset it should
> be the Intel Application Accelerator.

Hi Jetro, cheers mate, you were spot-on. When I D/Led the IAA I thought it set automatically, I never looked to see if there were any options on it. Now you've pointed it out, I can see it's fully adjustable. One more question please, being a novice, I'm not sure if I should leave IAA on the default settings or not. Any advice would be appreciated.
TIA

"Jetro" wrote:

> Just run IAA.

If the Current Transfer Mode pleased you, then there is no needs to adjust
the Transfer Mode Limit. Couple of APM settings is useful on the laptops
only. Auto-Acoustic Management might be disabled - this selection is faster
than the selection 'Maximum Performance'.

Jetro, thanx again,
J.J.

"Jetro" wrote:

> If the Current Transfer Mode pleased you, then there is no needs to adjust
> the Transfer Mode Limit. Couple of APM settings is useful on the laptops
> only. Auto-Acoustic Management might be disabled - this selection is faster
> than the selection 'Maximum Performance'.

TRENDING THREADS