question

I bought a SATA hard drive and no matter what I can't get the HD LED to work
on my case, is there anything special I need to do is this normal?

Thanks

"John McCoy" <johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I bought a SATA hard drive and no matter what I can't get the HD LED to
>work on my case, is there anything special I need to do is this normal?
>
> Thanks

Could be your motherboard. I have the K8V Deluxe and the HD lights up for
both the PATA and SATA (on Promise) drives. I don't know about the VIA SATA
controller.

Now I am wondering if it isn't the notherboard, I may have a power supply
issue also.

"m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message

> "John McCoy" <johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I bought a SATA hard drive and no matter what I can't get the HD LED to
>>work on my case, is there anything special I need to do is this normal?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Could be your motherboard. I have the K8V Deluxe and the HD lights up for
> both the PATA and SATA (on Promise) drives. I don't know about the VIA
> SATA controller.

The HD light only triggers for IDE type harddrives; not for SATA drives.

--
DaveW

DaveW wrote:
> The HD light only triggers for IDE type harddrives; not for SATA drives.

Are you sure? I'd swear my HDD light was working when only my S-ATA
drive was connected. In fact, I'm certain of it.

P4C800-E Deluxe

Bill Anderson

Thanks, I thought so...AT least I know the board isn't defective.

> The HD light only triggers for IDE type harddrives; not for SATA drives.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "John McCoy" <johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I bought a SATA hard drive and no matter what I can't get the HD LED to
>>work on my case, is there anything special I need to do is this normal?
>>
>> Thanks

i got an a7n8x-dlx (2.0) runing a single SATA hdd, and at first the hdd LED
didn't light. then i flipped the hdd LED connector, and bam, little blinking
red light when its using the hdd. my tip, and it may be horribly obvious to
say it, try flipping the hdd LED plug.

Bushy

"Bushy" <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i got an a7n8x-dlx (2.0) runing a single SATA hdd, and at first the hdd LED
> didn't light. then i flipped the hdd LED connector, and bam, little
> blinking
> red light when its using the hdd. my tip, and it may be horribly obvious
> say it, try flipping the hdd LED plug.

Good one. We all forgot the obvious. I was just putting together a P2B
yesterday and that tip was right in the manual I downloaded.

I flipped it, tried that one also.

DaveW wrote:

> The HD light only triggers for IDE type harddrives; not for SATA drives.

It sure lights up on my P4C800ED, and I only have SATA HDs.
--
Cheers, Bob

It won't light up on mine, what bios are you using?

John

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> DaveW wrote:
>
>> The HD light only triggers for IDE type harddrives; not for SATA drives.
>>

> It sure lights up on my P4C800ED, and I only have SATA HDs.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

No we didn't, he had said it worked for IDE therefore that could not have
been the problem.

John McCoy wrote:

> It won't light up on mine, what bios are you using?
>
> John
>

> "Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>DaveW wrote:
>>

>>>The HD light only triggers for IDE type harddrives; not for SATA drives.
>>>

>>It sure lights up on my P4C800ED, and I only have SATA HDs.
>>--
>>Cheers, Bob

I use the as-shipped 1012 BIOS.

Did you try reversing the connector on the MB? If it is plugged in
backward, the LED won't E any L.
--
Cheers, Bob

> No we didn't, he had said it worked for IDE therefore that could not have
> been the problem.

Hmmm, I don't see that in this thread. Who said that ?

> "m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada DOT com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bushy" <ex(underscore)boss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>i got an a7n8x-dlx (2.0) runing a single SATA hdd, and at first the hdd
>>>LED
>>> didn't light. then i flipped the hdd LED connector, and bam, little
>>> blinking
>>> red light when its using the hdd. my tip, and it may be horribly obvious
>>> say it, try flipping the hdd LED plug.
>>>

>> Good one. We all forgot the obvious. I was just putting together a P2B
>> yesterday and that tip was right in the manual I downloaded.

I got a new motherboard and it works fine on this one.

John

DaveW wrote:
> The HD light only triggers for IDE type harddrives; not for SATA drives.

Not true, may depend on the motherboard, but on my K8-NE, I only have
sata hard drives and the light works on disk access.