XP SP2 on Asus P3B-F

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:33:23 -0500, "Null" <Null_Packet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>does anyone know if XP SP2 will run OK on an Asus P3B-F motherboard ?

Of course. No unusual problems, either...

ceebee

"Null" <Null_Packet@hotmail.com> wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

> does anyone know if XP SP2 will run OK on an Asus P3B-F motherboard ?

Does SP2 cause hardware problems? I thought it could cause some software
problems due to safety issues.

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

null

thanks

I had a Compaq and it wanted a number of Compaq updates before installing
SP2

I can't find any such info or updates on the Asus web site so I hope SP2
will run fine on the older P3B-F

Null wrote:

> I can't find any such info or updates on the Asus web site so I hope SP2
> will run fine on the older P3B-F

I run WinXP SP2 without any probs on my P3B-F Rev.1.04 with BIOS
1008.04 Beta (which is the de facto final, and stable) - see
1008f304.zip at
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/i440BX/P3B-F/

with PIII600@800 (FSB133) and 2x256 MB Crucial PC133.

Roy

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 09:04:15 -0500, "Null" <Null_Packet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:33:23 -0500, "Null" <Null_Packet@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> >does anyone know if XP SP2 will run OK on an Asus P3B-F motherboard ?
>>
>> Of course. No unusual problems, either...
>
>thanks
>
>I had a Compaq and it wanted a number of Compaq updates before installing
>SP2
>
>I can't find any such info or updates on the Asus web site so I hope SP2
>will run fine on the older P3B-F

Virtually every branded Compaq (or HP, or Dell, or probably IBM, Toshiba,
Sony, etc) system comes loaded with factory-installed CruftWare(tm). Unless
you wipe the boot partition and install from scratch using an honest to
goodness installation CD (and not some effed-up "Quick Restore" disc), you're
stuck with the CruftWare(tm), and it's that CruftWare(tm) that needed
updating.

We still have three P3B-F 1000E systems running after all these years - I'm
loath to replace anything so reliable - and all are now up to XP Pro SP-2.
1.08-b4 bios, no problems running the SP-2 updater...

/daytripper