A8V Blank Video After Load Bios Defaults

I'm trying to get my new A8V to Post. Here's what I have.

Asus A8V Rev 2
Bios 1009.003 Beta
Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm
2x512 Corsair Value Select
Asus 9600 XT
2xSeagate 80gig non raid

Here's the steps:

1) Bios flash using the Bios flasher (alt+F2)
2) Clear the CMOS, reboot
3) Message says CMOS Checksum Bad, Date/Time Not Set
4) Enter Bios change nothing, save, and reboot
5) CMOS error gone
6) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
7) Boots normally
8) Enter BIOS and load defaults (or load from F2 prompt), save, and reboot
9) Boots normally
10) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
11) Boots but no Video or does not boot. Monitor indicates activity but
blank

The 1008 Bios did the same thing. Is it OK to not load the defaults? Is
this normal for an Asus board?

Tom
7 answers Last reply
More about blank video load bios defaults

    Hi, what PSU are you using?
    Chris C
    "Tom" <noemail@noplace.none> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get my new A8V to Post. Here's what I have.
    >
    > Asus A8V Rev 2
    > Bios 1009.003 Beta
    > Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm
    > 2x512 Corsair Value Select
    > Asus 9600 XT
    > 2xSeagate 80gig non raid
    >
    > Here's the steps:
    >
    > 1) Bios flash using the Bios flasher (alt+F2)
    > 2) Clear the CMOS, reboot
    > 3) Message says CMOS Checksum Bad, Date/Time Not Set
    > 4) Enter Bios change nothing, save, and reboot
    > 5) CMOS error gone
    > 6) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    > 7) Boots normally
    > 8) Enter BIOS and load defaults (or load from F2 prompt), save, and reboot
    > 9) Boots normally
    > 10) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    > 11) Boots but no Video or does not boot. Monitor indicates activity but
    > blank
    >
    > The 1008 Bios did the same thing. Is it OK to not load the defaults? Is
    > this normal for an Asus board?
    >
    > Tom

    Antec True380s. It's the one that comes in the Antec Sonota case. If I
    only have the chip, memory, floppy drive, and video card plugged in it
    still gives the same result. The problem seems to revolve around loading
    setup defaults.

    Tom

    Chris Catt wrote:

    > Hi, what PSU are you using?
    > Chris C
    > "Tom" <noemail@noplace.none> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm trying to get my new A8V to Post. Here's what I have.
    >>
    >>Asus A8V Rev 2
    >>Bios 1009.003 Beta
    >>Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm
    >>2x512 Corsair Value Select
    >>Asus 9600 XT
    >>2xSeagate 80gig non raid
    >>
    >>Here's the steps:
    >>
    >>1) Bios flash using the Bios flasher (alt+F2)
    >>2) Clear the CMOS, reboot
    >>3) Message says CMOS Checksum Bad, Date/Time Not Set
    >>4) Enter Bios change nothing, save, and reboot
    >>5) CMOS error gone
    >>6) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    >>7) Boots normally
    >>8) Enter BIOS and load defaults (or load from F2 prompt), save, and reboot
    >>9) Boots normally
    >>10) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    >>11) Boots but no Video or does not boot. Monitor indicates activity but
    >>blank
    >>
    >>The 1008 Bios did the same thing. Is it OK to not load the defaults? Is
    >>this normal for an Asus board?
    >>
    >>Tom

    Hi!

    What you can do is:

    to flash with only one Corsair-Ram and it must be in Dimm_B1

    and before you clear the CMOS, you must remove the Lithium cell.

    "Tom" <noemail@noplace.none> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I'm trying to get my new A8V to Post. Here's what I have.
    >
    > Asus A8V Rev 2
    > Bios 1009.003 Beta
    > Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm
    > 2x512 Corsair Value Select
    > Asus 9600 XT
    > 2xSeagate 80gig non raid
    >
    > Here's the steps:
    >
    > 1) Bios flash using the Bios flasher (alt+F2)
    > 2) Clear the CMOS, reboot
    > 3) Message says CMOS Checksum Bad, Date/Time Not Set
    > 4) Enter Bios change nothing, save, and reboot
    > 5) CMOS error gone
    > 6) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    > 7) Boots normally
    > 8) Enter BIOS and load defaults (or load from F2 prompt), save, and
    > reboot
    > 9) Boots normally
    > 10) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    > 11) Boots but no Video or does not boot. Monitor indicates activity
    > but blank
    >
    > The 1008 Bios did the same thing. Is it OK to not load the defaults?
    > Is this normal for an Asus board?
    >
    > Tom

    I hope that it will help you

    Rainer

    I think I have a lead on it. I went through all the Bios settings and
    recorded them as they appear without loading the defaults then I loaded
    the defaults and compared them. Here's the differences.

    NoDefaults DefaultsLoaded
    Bank Interleaving: AUTO DISABLED
    Search for MDA Resources: YES NO
    Graphics Aperture Size: 64MB 256MB
    Parallel Port Address: DISABLED 378
    AI Overclocking: AUTO AUTO (not the default in the
    book)

    I would guess that my card is having a hard time with the aperture size.
    I do have the memory set up for dual channel. The bios reports it as
    using dual channel.

    What do you think?

    Tom

    Rainer Paul wrote:

    > Hi!
    >

    > What you can do is:
    >
    > to flash with only one Corsair-Ram and it must be in Dimm_B1
    >
    > and before you clear the CMOS, you must remove the Lithium cell.
    >

    > "Tom" <noemail@noplace.none> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >> I'm trying to get my new A8V to Post. Here's what I have.
    >>
    >> Asus A8V Rev 2
    >> Bios 1009.003 Beta
    >> Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm
    >> 2x512 Corsair Value Select
    >> Asus 9600 XT
    >> 2xSeagate 80gig non raid
    >>
    >> Here's the steps:
    >>
    >> 1) Bios flash using the Bios flasher (alt+F2)
    >> 2) Clear the CMOS, reboot
    >> 3) Message says CMOS Checksum Bad, Date/Time Not Set
    >> 4) Enter Bios change nothing, save, and reboot
    >> 5) CMOS error gone
    >> 6) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    >> 7) Boots normally
    >> 8) Enter BIOS and load defaults (or load from F2 prompt), save, and
    >> reboot
    >> 9) Boots normally
    >> 10) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    >> 11) Boots but no Video or does not boot. Monitor indicates activity
    >> but blank
    >>
    >> The 1008 Bios did the same thing. Is it OK to not load the defaults?
    >> Is this normal for an Asus board?
    >>
    >> Tom
    >

    > I hope that it will help you
    >
    > Rainer

    Hi, I have the same board as you and it always booted when set to 64mbs, I
    know have it set to 128. Switch bank interleaving to enabled and mda
    resources to off. Not sure if it'll cure your problem. BTW, you have got
    the 4 pin power supply lead plugged in?
    >I think I have a lead on it. I went through all the Bios settings and
    >recorded them as they appear without loading the defaults then I loaded the
    >defaults and compared them. Here's the differences.
    >
    > NoDefaults DefaultsLoaded
    > Bank Interleaving: AUTO DISABLED
    > Search for MDA Resources: YES NO
    > Graphics Aperture Size: 64MB 256MB
    > Parallel Port Address: DISABLED 378
    > AI Overclocking: AUTO AUTO (not the default in the
    > book)
    >
    > I would guess that my card is having a hard time with the aperture size. I
    > do have the memory set up for dual channel. The bios reports it as using
    > dual channel.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > Rainer Paul wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>

    >> What you can do is:
    >>
    >> to flash with only one Corsair-Ram and it must be in Dimm_B1
    >>
    >> and before you clear the CMOS, you must remove the Lithium cell.
    >>

    >> "Tom" <noemail@noplace.none> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to get my new A8V to Post. Here's what I have.
    >>>
    >>> Asus A8V Rev 2
    >>> Bios 1009.003 Beta
    >>> Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm
    >>> 2x512 Corsair Value Select
    >>> Asus 9600 XT
    >>> 2xSeagate 80gig non raid
    >>>
    >>> Here's the steps:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Bios flash using the Bios flasher (alt+F2)
    >>> 2) Clear the CMOS, reboot
    >>> 3) Message says CMOS Checksum Bad, Date/Time Not Set
    >>> 4) Enter Bios change nothing, save, and reboot
    >>> 5) CMOS error gone
    >>> 6) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    >>> 7) Boots normally
    >>> 8) Enter BIOS and load defaults (or load from F2 prompt), save, and
    >>> reboot
    >>> 9) Boots normally
    >>> 10) Unplug power supply, plug back in and boot
    >>> 11) Boots but no Video or does not boot. Monitor indicates activity but
    >>> blank
    >>>
    >>> The 1008 Bios did the same thing. Is it OK to not load the defaults? Is
    >>> this normal for an Asus board?
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>

    >> I hope that it will help you
    >>
    >> Rainer

    Thanks Chris, Yes I do have the 4 pin power cable plugged in.

    I think I have my answer. Don't load Default Bios Settings. They're bad.
    At least for my setup. I sent the problem to Asus. Wonder if I'll hear
    from them.

    Tom

    Chris Catt wrote:
    > Hi, I have the same board as you and it always booted when set to 64mbs, I
    > know have it set to 128. Switch bank interleaving to enabled and mda
    > resources to off. Not sure if it'll cure your problem. BTW, you have got
    > the 4 pin power supply lead plugged in?
    > Chris C
    > "Tom" <noemail@noplace.none> wrote in message
    >
    >>I think I have a lead on it. I went through all the Bios settings and
    >>recorded them as they appear without loading the defaults then I loaded the
    >>defaults and compared them. Here's the differences.
    >>
    >> NoDefaults DefaultsLoaded
    >>Bank Interleaving: AUTO DISABLED
    >>Search for MDA Resources: YES NO
    >>Graphics Aperture Size: 64MB 256MB
    >>Parallel Port Address: DISABLED 378
    >>AI Overclocking: AUTO AUTO (not the default in the
    >>book)
    >>
    >>I would guess that my card is having a hard time with the aperture size. I
    >>do have the memory set up for dual channel. The bios reports it as using
    >>dual channel.
    >>
    >>What do you think?
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>

    >>Rainer Paul wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi!
    >>>

    >>>What you can do is:
    >>>
    >>>to flash with only one Corsair-Ram and it must be in Dimm_B1
    >>>
    >>>and before you clear the CMOS, you must remove the Lithium cell.
    >>>

    >>>"Tom" <noemail@noplace.none> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >>>I hope that it will help you
    >>>
    >>>Rainer

    What is the name of the BIOS? It should "A8V.ROM" by using ALT+F2.

    > Thanks Chris, Yes I do have the 4 pin power cable plugged in.
    >
    > I think I have my answer. Don't load Default Bios Settings. They're
    > bad.

    Now, you should try to recovery the BIOS like in the manual chapter
    4.1 with only
    AFUDOS.

    > At least for my setup. I sent the problem to Asus. Wonder if I'll
    > hear from them.
    >
    > Tom

    Rainer

Asus BIOS CMOS Motherboards