scan and print same page in one pass

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.scanners (More info?)

I am developing an application that needs to scan and print the same
page in a single pass. It is a form processing application: the top
of the form has a barcode that identifies the form. What I am
envisioning is an inkjet like multifunction printer/scanner that tees
up the page to the scan/print head. The software would then direct
the scanner to scan the first inch or so of the page and interpret the
barcode. It would then print the rest of the page, filling in the
form.

There are lots of multifunction products out there, but I don't know
which ones have the programmatic capability to do what I describe.
What I am looking for is something that has a good software
development kit available, or well documented protocols I can use to
control the device. Low price is always nice but not a requirement.
Speed is not a requirement.

TIA,

Rol

"Roland" <rolandp66@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am developing an application that needs to scan and print the same
> page in a single pass. It is a form processing application: the top
> of the form has a barcode that identifies the form

<snip>

Since you are only scanning bar codes this would be a lot easier to do with
a barcode wand mounted above the paper tray of a regular printer. This would
have several advantages...

90% of the S/W probably exists already.
It would avoid the need to modify the printer engine/driver.
You could prototype it using a cheap printer and switch to a more expensive
model with almost no changes to the S/W.
It would be easy to update when the printer goes obsolete.

Colin