Johnny

wanting to run a Prescott 3.0ghz on this board for benchmark test purposes.
I've got DDR 400 which Asus state is a must but just want to ask if those in
the know on here think it'll be ok?

Paul

Splendid

In article <30uku2F36g6t8U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Johnny"
<repro007@hotmail.com> wrote:

> wanting to run a Prescott 3.0ghz on this board for benchmark test purposes.
> I've got DDR 400 which Asus state is a must but just want to ask if those in
> the know on here think it'll be ok?

You can look up the P4PE here:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

The P4PE supports an overclock option for the motherboard,
where you can use one stick of DDR400 RAM plus set the
cpu bus clock to 200MHz, to run the processor at FSB800 and
get its normal rating. The board is flat out at that point,
and cannot handle more than a few more MHz.

The cpusupport web page only lists Northwood processors
at FSB800, there are no Prescott processors listed. The
BIOS may not support Prescott, and it may not boot if
you try it.

There are some other 845PE boards that do support Prescott,
but they probably have a slightly different Vcore power
circuit. Prescott tends to like lower voltages and
higher currents, and if the Vcore would be overloaded
by the higher current demands of a Prescott, Asus probably
won't put support in the BIOS as a result.

If you click "CPU Name" on the cpusupport web page, you
can get a list of motherboards that do support your
Prescott.

HTH,
Paul