Hard drive not visible from 'My Computer' or 'Disk Manager'

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello

Windows XP Pro with a 160 GB HDD and a 200GB HDD. Large drive adjustment has
been made.

I was using this PC satisfactorily until today. Now I cannot see the 200 GB
HDD in My Computer nor in Disk Manager. However it does show up in Device
Manager and when I uninstalled it and rebooted, XP said 'New Hardware Found'
upon reboot.

Does anyone have any idea why this drive has now disappeared from 'My
Computer' and 'Disk Manager' even though the BIOS and the Device Manager and
the UPP all detect it?

TIA

Do you have these set up in RAID? Also, the drive does not show up at
all in Disk Management under Computer Management? There should be an
option to "import" the foreign disk if it was a dynamic disk. Also, if
you aren't running these in RAID, you may want to think about it as it
will add system stability as well as performance advantages :)

Nathan McNulty

Michael wrote:
> Hello
>
> Windows XP Pro with a 160 GB HDD and a 200GB HDD. Large drive adjustment has
> been made.
>
> I was using this PC satisfactorily until today. Now I cannot see the 200 GB
> HDD in My Computer nor in Disk Manager. However it does show up in Device
> Manager and when I uninstalled it and rebooted, XP said 'New Hardware Found'
> upon reboot.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this drive has now disappeared from 'My
> Computer' and 'Disk Manager' even though the BIOS and the Device Manager and
> the UPP all detect it?
>
> TIA

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

I am having a similiar problem with an external hard
drive. The user tried to rename the drive and now somehow
it's reference in XP is corrupted. It shows up in Device
Manager, but is not visable in My computer. I reinstalled
it and now it shows up in My Computer but he can not
write to it unless he puts in on another machine.

"Michael" <michael@NOSPAMmulvaney.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Windows XP Pro with a 160 GB HDD and a 200GB HDD. Large drive adjustment
has
> been made.
>
> I was using this PC satisfactorily until today. Now I cannot see the 200
GB
> HDD in My Computer nor in Disk Manager. However it does show up in Device
> Manager and when I uninstalled it and rebooted, XP said 'New Hardware
Found'
> upon reboot.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this drive has now disappeared from 'My
> Computer' and 'Disk Manager' even though the BIOS and the Device Manager
and
> the UPP all detect it?
>
> TIA

Try reinstalling or updating your mobo drivers.