Extrenal S-ATA drive : possible ? How ?

Hi all experts !

Have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.
One S-ATA 'standard-non RAID' connector occupied for my boot-HD ( WD
Raptor - 30 GB
A 4 drives connected to a Promise TX4 adapter card in mode RAID0+1 ( Maxtors
Diamond Max Plus 80 GB each)

Thus remain 3 S-ATA connectors on the board : one 'standard' and the two
onboard-RAID ones.

I would like to connect an external HD to the PC, for backup purposes, and
storage at another place for security.

USB is relatively slow, even v2

My questions are :

- what is the S-ATA power supply connector pins organisation ( ie what pin
gets what : voltages, ground, ...)
I haven't been able to find specifications of the power supply connectors
yet.

- would it be possible to simply build one HD into a case, get power supply
from simple regulated power supplies as for other electronic devices
( external to the PC), and connect ( theoretically hot connect) using an
S-ATA data cable connected to the mainboard, and that I would
direct ou of the PC's case

All input greatly appreciated !
Regards.

Pivert !
4 answers Last reply
More about extrenal drive

    No, not possible. Purchase an external hard drive for your
    backup storage needs.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Pivert" <none.me@you.com> wrote in message:

    | Hi all experts !
    |
    | Have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.
    | One S-ATA 'standard-non RAID' connector occupied for my boot-HD ( WD
    | Raptor - 30 GB
    | A 4 drives connected to a Promise TX4 adapter card in mode RAID0+1 ( Maxtors
    | Diamond Max Plus 80 GB each)
    |
    | Thus remain 3 S-ATA connectors on the board : one 'standard' and the two
    | onboard-RAID ones.
    |
    | I would like to connect an external HD to the PC, for backup purposes, and
    | storage at another place for security.
    |
    | USB is relatively slow, even v2
    |
    | My questions are :
    |
    | - what is the S-ATA power supply connector pins organisation ( ie what pin
    | gets what : voltages, ground, ...)
    | I haven't been able to find specifications of the power supply connectors
    | yet.
    |
    | - would it be possible to simply build one HD into a case, get power supply
    | from simple regulated power supplies as for other electronic devices
    | ( external to the PC), and connect ( theoretically hot connect) using an
    | S-ATA data cable connected to the mainboard, and that I would
    | direct ou of the PC's case
    |
    | All input greatly appreciated !
    | Regards.
    |
    | Pivert !

    "Pivert" <none.me@you.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all experts !
    >
    > Have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.
    > One S-ATA 'standard-non RAID' connector occupied for my boot-HD ( WD
    > Raptor - 30 GB
    > A 4 drives connected to a Promise TX4 adapter card in mode RAID0+1 (
    Maxtors
    > Diamond Max Plus 80 GB each)
    >
    > Thus remain 3 S-ATA connectors on the board : one 'standard' and the two
    > onboard-RAID ones.
    >
    > I would like to connect an external HD to the PC, for backup purposes, and
    > storage at another place for security.
    >
    > USB is relatively slow, even v2
    >
    > My questions are :
    >
    > - what is the S-ATA power supply connector pins organisation ( ie what pin
    > gets what : voltages, ground, ...)
    > I haven't been able to find specifications of the power supply
    connectors
    > yet.
    >
    > - would it be possible to simply build one HD into a case, get power
    supply
    > from simple regulated power supplies as for other electronic devices
    > ( external to the PC), and connect ( theoretically hot connect) using
    an
    > S-ATA data cable connected to the mainboard, and that I would
    > direct ou of the PC's case
    >
    > All input greatly appreciated !
    > Regards.
    >
    > Pivert !

    There are brackets that extend the SATA MB connector to the back
    of the case, Or I've seen PCI cards with an external port.
    I bought an external drive that supports SATA, USB2.0 and Firewire and
    a PCI card with an external port.
    Found that the current version of SATA doesn't support hot swapping,
    so I use Firewire because it's faster than USB 2.0.

    Jim M

    Google for SATA external, here is one hit
    http://www.xpcgear.com/satase720.html

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in
    message news:eETqbOCaEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | No, not possible. Purchase an external hard drive for
    your
    | backup storage needs.
    |
    | --
    | Carey Frisch
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Shell/User
    |
    | Be Smart! Protect your PC!
    | http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
    |
    | ----------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------

    | "Pivert" <none.me@you.com> wrote in message:
    |
    | | Hi all experts !
    | |
    | | Have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.
    | | One S-ATA 'standard-non RAID' connector occupied for my
    boot-HD ( WD
    | | Raptor - 30 GB
    | | A 4 drives connected to a Promise TX4 adapter card in
    mode RAID0+1 ( Maxtors
    | | Diamond Max Plus 80 GB each)
    | |
    | | Thus remain 3 S-ATA connectors on the board : one
    'standard' and the two
    | | onboard-RAID ones.
    | |
    | | I would like to connect an external HD to the PC, for
    backup purposes, and
    | | storage at another place for security.
    | |
    | | USB is relatively slow, even v2
    | |
    | | My questions are :
    | |
    | | - what is the S-ATA power supply connector pins
    organisation ( ie what pin
    | | gets what : voltages, ground, ...)
    | | I haven't been able to find specifications of the power
    supply connectors
    | | yet.
    | |
    | | - would it be possible to simply build one HD into a
    case, get power supply
    | | from simple regulated power supplies as for other
    electronic devices
    | | ( external to the PC), and connect ( theoretically hot
    connect) using an
    | | S-ATA data cable connected to the mainboard, and that I
    would
    | | direct ou of the PC's case
    | |
    | | All input greatly appreciated !
    | | Regards.
    | |
    | | Pivert !
    | |
    | |

    Also, you can buy a normal ATA external casing, use a SATA to PATA
    adapter, and a SATA power adapter (both of which sometimes come with the
    motherboard or harddrive). These can be had for pretty cheap. It won't
    matter that you will only get ATA100 through the external case because
    USB 2.0 only transmits at 60 MB/s as of right now. This is faster than
    FireWire at least, but still not close to the internal speed of the
    harddrive which is usually around 80 MB/s. Speeds higher than that are
    because of RAID setups ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Jim Macklin wrote:

    > Google for SATA external, here is one hit
    > http://www.xpcgear.com/satase720.html

Windows XP