dealer who (i suppose) returned the thing to samsung and they worked their
own magik...and it worked again...now it's botched for the third time and
it's annoying

Symptoms
it wont read any sort of disks nothing at all...on pressing the eject button
it takes the cd in...the led blinks a couple of times and then
nothing....even windows wont detect the cd..."please insert a cd" it says...
ejecting and loading are fine ...no probs there
but a cd drive that wont read a single cd itn't much use at all....windows
detects the drive however..

Config
p4 2.4 ghz
512 ddr ram
win XP
Samsung sc152A cd drive
seagate 120 gb HDD

If you're sure you've tried it with several different CDs and that the disks
are clean and not covered with fingerprints and dust, and that some are
retail rather than ones you've burned yourself, then try a CD cleaning kit.
The lens(es) may be dirty
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Eldrich Rebello" <eldrichr@bol.net.in> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> i have this problem with my samsung SC 152A cd drive ...it's been sometime
> now...this is the third time this has happened...first time round i
> inserted
> a cd with the play buton,,,et volia...it worked ....2nd time i gave it to
> my
> dealer who (i suppose) returned the thing to samsung and they worked their
> own magik...and it worked again...now it's botched for the third time and
> it's annoying
>
> Symptoms
> it wont read any sort of disks nothing at all...on pressing the eject
> button
> it takes the cd in...the led blinks a couple of times and then
> nothing....even windows wont detect the cd..."please insert a cd" it
> says...
> ejecting and loading are fine ...no probs there
> but a cd drive that wont read a single cd itn't much use at all....windows
> detects the drive however..
>
> Config
> p4 2.4 ghz
> 512 ddr ram
> win XP
> Samsung sc152A cd drive
> seagate 120 gb HDD

Two things, first off, make sure you have the DMA settings enabled.
Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Now go down to ATA/ATAPI
Controllers and expand it. Right click on Primary (and do this for all
others too) IDE Channel and click properites. Under Advanced Settings,
you should be able to set it to DMA if available. Now Reboot and see if
the problem still exists.

Second, try these links and see if any of them help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218617
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314096

Nathan McNulty