Which Access Point Device to Buy? USB Adapter?

Hello again,

I came here a couple of weeks ago fairly clueless w/regards to Wireless
networking ... my home office is all hard-wired. However, I needed to
branch out and support at least one PC is a far-away room, with more ideas
in the works.

So, someone suggested I need a Wireless Access Point hooked to my existing
router. I thought I had understood this to mean that this would support a
single wireless PC. Research has shown that this isn't the case at all, and
My "more ideas in the works" would be handled by this, too. If this is
incorrect, someone please let me know.

So. With this knowledge in hand, I started looking for WAP's to buy. I see
2 manufacturer's models that are lower end and fill my need. Any opinions
on which of these might be a better buy?:

Linksys Wireless-G Access Point WAP54G
Belkin 54G Wireless Access Point F5D7130
eOpinions has the Belkin rated at 5 starts, but with only 3 reviews. The
Linksys has 13 reviews and ranks only 3.5 stars. Yet, I've seen some
references to problems with using the Belkin WAP with non Belkin adapters.
Any opinions? ALSO, are Wireless Adapters using a USB port as good as a PCI
card? Thanks in advance,

Nick

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"Nick Knight" <bhnc_140_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Hello again,
>
> I came here a couple of weeks ago fairly clueless w/regards to Wireless
> networking ... my home office is all hard-wired. However, I needed to
> branch out and support at least one PC is a far-away room, with more ideas
> in the works.
>
> So, someone suggested I need a Wireless Access Point hooked to my existing
> router. I thought I had understood this to mean that this would support a
> single wireless PC. Research has shown that this isn't the case at all,
> and
> My "more ideas in the works" would be handled by this, too. If this is
> incorrect, someone please let me know.
>
> So. With this knowledge in hand, I started looking for WAP's to buy. I
> see
> 2 manufacturer's models that are lower end and fill my need. Any opinions
> on which of these might be a better buy?:
>
> Linksys Wireless-G Access Point WAP54G
> Belkin 54G Wireless Access Point F5D7130
> eOpinions has the Belkin rated at 5 starts, but with only 3 reviews. The
> Linksys has 13 reviews and ranks only 3.5 stars. Yet, I've seen some
> references to problems with using the Belkin WAP with non Belkin adapters.
> Any opinions? ALSO, are Wireless Adapters using a USB port as good as a
> PCI
> card? Thanks in advance,
>
> Nick

I think you will find that everyone has there own favourite. Best seem to
be Netgear but I personally prefer D-Link. I always use their AP's as I've
never had a problem with them and once you get to know the set-up, I find it
easier to stick with the same make.

I had some bad experiences with Belkin wi-fi stuff in the early days. It
may be better now but I still avoid it. I still have a couple of Belkin USB
adaptors that work but their range is not too good and both of them
occasionally drop the signal (at least once an hour). Replaced both with
Linksys adaptors which are fine.

PCI and USB adaptors both have their pro's and cons. PCI can be more stable
and mean that you have less wire making the place untidy but because the
antenna is stuck at the back of the PC, you already have one obstacle in the
way of the signal (you can get leads to move the antenna elsewhere). USB
ones work fine and you have the advantage of being able to position them for
a better signal.

You can support more than 1 wireless PC with an access point. I presently
have a small wired network upstairs consisting of a PC running windows, a PC
running Smoothwall (firewall) which uses a USB modem and access point. All
three are plugged into a hub. Downstairs I have two PC's and a laptop that
wirelessly connect to the up stairs network through the AP (I also have a
repeater downstairs as the AP is at the front of the house upstairs and the
signal drops off at the back of the house downstairs). Not high speed
though - all my wireless stuff is 11b and the hub is a 10mb/s but it is fast
enough for me (broadband 'fly's' on all PC's).

HTH

Tony

Volunteer your CPU to power global research http://www.grid.org/about/
Sign up and join the team
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=E6F0B751-1BEE-4133-BC8D-1B8F3AF77CCA

I also Like D-Link. It has a very easy setup and I have had no problems
installing the adapters on Windows 98SE, MW, 2000 and XP machines.

I have 4 computers on my network, 2 desktop and 2 laptops in a single story
house. I have places the AP at about the center of my house next to my DSL
model.

I can get a strong signal for about 500 feet around my AP. I can sit in my
front or back yard with my laptops and get a good signal.

I try to use all one manufacturers devices, but I do have a Proxim 802.11b
USB adapter on one of my desktops, and it works very well also.

On my D-Link AP I also could wire up to 3 other devices via ethernet if I
wanted, such as my Media Center for streaming Music and Video over my
Network.

Customer support for D-Link is very good, but I only had to use it once, so
I might have got lucky.

Good luck and have fun setting up your WLAN. I Love them.