Slave Hard Drive

I installed a 80GB hard drive that is a data only drive.
I have it installed as a slave and the jumpers set
properly. I can see it in the Disk Managment and it is
active. When I got to assign the drive letter, by right
clicking, the only option that I get is delete partition.
It is an NTFS formatted drive.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a BIOS issue?

Thanks

There may be a couple of problems. First, is this a dynamic disk or a
basic disk. Windows XP Home cannot read dynamic disks. Second, you may
need to import that foreign disk, but that option is usually there when
you right click on the drive icon. If you don't have any data on it or
don't care if you lose the data that is on it, you may want to delete
the partition and format it.

Nathan McNulty

Kristen wrote:

> I installed a 80GB hard drive that is a data only drive.
> I have it installed as a slave and the jumpers set
> properly. I can see it in the Disk Managment and it is
> active. When I got to assign the drive letter, by right
> clicking, the only option that I get is delete partition.
> It is an NTFS formatted drive.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a BIOS issue?
>
> Thanks

I don't remember if it is dynamic or not. Is there a way
to find out? It is showing as a Healthy, Active drive.
I had it in a Win2000 pro machine. I don't want to lose
the data on it.

Any suggestions??

Kristen, try temporarily installing it as Master on the Secondary IDE
channel. Disconnect the cdrom and
dvd drives if you have any.