P4P800 auto detect hard drives won't work with DVD installed

I have a P4P800 that refuses to auto detect most hard drives if I have
a DVD/CDRW drive installed as a slave or cable select. I have tried
all kinds of settings and cable configurations and I get no consistant
results until I pull the DVD drive.

I bought a new DVD drive (LiteON) and it did not fix the problem. My
hard drives are Maxtor or WD, 40gig, 120gig, 200gig it does not matter
it won't detect them until the DVD is removed. I changed ribbons and
also updated the bios to 1019.

The only card in the system is a GeForce FX5600.

In the BIOS screen it will say "Not detected". Press ENTER on the
first device and it shows the drive in light gray and indicates new
device has been detected please reboot. I save the settings reboot
and no hard drive is found.

HELP - I am going nuts!!!

Thanks,
Gary Quiring

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:45:57 -0500, Gary Quiring <gquiring@msn.com>
wrote:

>I have a P4P800 that refuses to auto detect most hard drives if I have
>a DVD/CDRW drive installed as a slave or cable select. I have tried
>all kinds of settings and cable configurations and I get no consistant
>results until I pull the DVD drive.
>
>I bought a new DVD drive (LiteON) and it did not fix the problem. My
>hard drives are Maxtor or WD, 40gig, 120gig, 200gig it does not matter
>it won't detect them until the DVD is removed. I changed ribbons and
>also updated the bios to 1019.
>
>The only card in the system is a GeForce FX5600.
>
>In the BIOS screen it will say "Not detected". Press ENTER on the
>first device and it shows the drive in light gray and indicates new
>device has been detected please reboot. I save the settings reboot
>and no hard drive is found.
>
>HELP - I am going nuts!!!
>
>Thanks,
>Gary Quiring

you cannot use cable select with a 40 pin device, ie: cdrom, dvdrom
etc. Therefore, all devices on that cable must be set as ieither
master or slave...try that ?

Bill Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:45:57 -0500, Gary Quiring <gquiring@msn.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I have a P4P800 that refuses to auto detect most hard drives if I have
>>a DVD/CDRW drive installed as a slave or cable select. I have tried
>>all kinds of settings and cable configurations and I get no consistant
>>results until I pull the DVD drive.
>>
>>I bought a new DVD drive (LiteON) and it did not fix the problem. My
>>hard drives are Maxtor or WD, 40gig, 120gig, 200gig it does not matter
>>it won't detect them until the DVD is removed. I changed ribbons and
>>also updated the bios to 1019.
>>
>>The only card in the system is a GeForce FX5600.
>>
>>In the BIOS screen it will say "Not detected". Press ENTER on the
>>first device and it shows the drive in light gray and indicates new
>>device has been detected please reboot. I save the settings reboot
>>and no hard drive is found.
>>
>>HELP - I am going nuts!!!
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Gary Quiring
>>

> you cannot use cable select with a 40 pin device, ie: cdrom, dvdrom
> etc. Therefore, all devices on that cable must be set as ieither
> master or slave...try that ?

Cable select works perfectly on my DVD burner and CD burner (both LG
brand). They both take the 80 pin cable and both run at UDMA4. The only
thing I can offer is to put the DVD on IDE2 by itself as master or cable
select with a proper 80 pin cable plugged in properly and the hard
drives on IDE1 and try it like that. Does this board have SATA? If it
does that may be some of your problem if it is not set right in the
BIOS. I have a P4P800 SE and it took me a little bit of time to figure
out how to set up the drives.

Rod

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:54:12 -0400, Rod Stultz <stultzhome@rogers.com>
wrote:

>Bill Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:45:57 -0500, Gary Quiring <gquiring@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a P4P800 that refuses to auto detect most hard drives if I have
>>>a DVD/CDRW drive installed as a slave or cable select. I have tried
>>>all kinds of settings and cable configurations and I get no consistant
>>>results until I pull the DVD drive.
>>>
>>>I bought a new DVD drive (LiteON) and it did not fix the problem. My
>>>hard drives are Maxtor or WD, 40gig, 120gig, 200gig it does not matter
>>>it won't detect them until the DVD is removed. I changed ribbons and
>>>also updated the bios to 1019.
>>>
>>>The only card in the system is a GeForce FX5600.
>>>
>>>In the BIOS screen it will say "Not detected". Press ENTER on the
>>>first device and it shows the drive in light gray and indicates new
>>>device has been detected please reboot. I save the settings reboot
>>>and no hard drive is found.
>>>
>>>HELP - I am going nuts!!!
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Gary Quiring
>>>

>> you cannot use cable select with a 40 pin device, ie: cdrom, dvdrom
>> etc. Therefore, all devices on that cable must be set as ieither
>> master or slave...try that ?
>>

>Cable select works perfectly on my DVD burner and CD burner (both LG
>brand). They both take the 80 pin cable and both run at UDMA4. The only
>thing I can offer is to put the DVD on IDE2 by itself as master or cable
>select with a proper 80 pin cable plugged in properly and the hard
>drives on IDE1 and try it like that. Does this board have SATA? If it
>does that may be some of your problem if it is not set right in the
>BIOS. I have a P4P800 SE and it took me a little bit of time to figure
>out how to set up the drives.
>
>Rod
My issue with placing the DVD drive on the 2nd channel is some old SCO
Unix stuff I run. It does not work unless the CD drive is the slave
from the first channel. The system works fine when the DVD is master
on the first channel. But as slave it won't auto-detect the hard
drives. I have tried slave and CS.

Gary Quiring wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:54:12 -0400, Rod Stultz <stultzhome@rogers.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Bill Smith wrote:

>>>you cannot use cable select with a 40 pin device, ie: cdrom, dvdrom
>>>etc. Therefore, all devices on that cable must be set as ieither
>>>master or slave...try that ?
>>>

>>Cable select works perfectly on my DVD burner and CD burner (both LG
>>brand). They both take the 80 pin cable and both run at UDMA4. The only
>>thing I can offer is to put the DVD on IDE2 by itself as master or cable
>>select with a proper 80 pin cable plugged in properly and the hard
>>drives on IDE1 and try it like that. Does this board have SATA? If it
>>does that may be some of your problem if it is not set right in the
>>BIOS. I have a P4P800 SE and it took me a little bit of time to figure
>>out how to set up the drives.
>>
>>Rod
>
> My issue with placing the DVD drive on the 2nd channel is some old SCO
> Unix stuff I run. It does not work unless the CD drive is the slave
> from the first channel. The system works fine when the DVD is master
> on the first channel. But as slave it won't auto-detect the hard
> drives. I have tried slave and CS.

I'm not sure if it would work but could you put your hard disks (boot
and secondary) on the secondary IDE channel and the DVD as master or
possibly slave on the primary IDE channel with the final drive as slave
or master with it. Just set your boot priority in the BIOS to whatever
you want it too be. Just curious but what type of HD are you trying to
run with the DVD? Some brands (Maxtor, Samsung, Fujitsu???) have a
special setting to run with more than one drive per channel and not just
as easy as master/slave/cable select.

Rod

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <37t0r0ppe8lbdjila96prqphdrfn4bmq6l@4ax.com>, Gary Quiring <gquiring@msn.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:54:12 -0400, Rod Stultz <stultzhome@rogers.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Bill Smith wrote:

>>> you cannot use cable select with a 40 pin device, ie: cdrom, dvdrom
>>> etc. Therefore, all devices on that cable must be set as ieither
>>> master or slave...try that ?
>>>

>>Cable select works perfectly on my DVD burner and CD burner (both LG
>>brand). They both take the 80 pin cable and both run at UDMA4. The only
>>thing I can offer is to put the DVD on IDE2 by itself as master or cable
>>select with a proper 80 pin cable plugged in properly and the hard
>>drives on IDE1 and try it like that. Does this board have SATA? If it
>>does that may be some of your problem if it is not set right in the
>>BIOS. I have a P4P800 SE and it took me a little bit of time to figure
>>out how to set up the drives.
>>
>>Rod
>My issue with placing the DVD drive on the 2nd channel is some old SCO
>Unix stuff I run. It does not work unless the CD drive is the slave
>from the first channel. The system works fine when the DVD is master
>on the first channel. But as slave it won't auto-detect the hard
>drives. I have tried slave and CS.

Your HD may expect you to jumper it in such a way that tells it to be as
MASTER with SLAVE PRESENT or something like that. Some HD's had either a
MASTER setting or the other MASTER with SLAVE PRESENT setting.