IPconfig Error

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 9, 2005 3:21:01 PM

I purchased two network cards, one for my laptop and one for my pc. I
installed them and put them in the way the instruction manual said but they
never worked. I could never see the other computer on the network. I recieved
alot of help from the manufactory but it never worked. But one person told me
to enter the ipconfig command into dos to see if my internet protocol was
working. When I type this, on my laptop I always recieve and internal error
saying:

An internal error occured: The request is not supported.
Please contact Microsoft support services for futher help.
Additional information: Unable to query routing information.

I can't even assign one as it gives me the error again. I have tried
reseting the IP but it gives the error again. I have no idea what to do.
Please help I really don't want to have to buy a new laptop :(
Thanks

More about : ipconfig error

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:19:01 PM

It sounds like you are trying to set up an AdHoc network, not using a
Router/Access Point. Is this correct? Also what OS are you using? What
manufac of the cards are you using? what protocol, 802.11a, b, g??????

What type of laptop do you have, as some toshibas and Sonys have problems
installing PCMCIA cards?

Hope to hear back from you soon.....

"pcgfx805" <pcgfx805@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased two network cards, one for my laptop and one for my pc. I
> installed them and put them in the way the instruction manual said but
> they
> never worked. I could never see the other computer on the network. I
> recieved
> alot of help from the manufactory but it never worked. But one person told
> me
> to enter the ipconfig command into dos to see if my internet protocol was
> working. When I type this, on my laptop I always recieve and internal
> error
> saying:
>
> An internal error occured: The request is not supported.
> Please contact Microsoft support services for futher help.
> Additional information: Unable to query routing information.
>
> I can't even assign one as it gives me the error again. I have tried
> reseting the IP but it gives the error again. I have no idea what to do.
> Please help I really don't want to have to buy a new laptop :(
> Thanks
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:12:31 AM

both or just the laptop one?
if it's just the laptop card not working (see device manager tab)
then i'd plumb for it being a faulty card.
else it's a faulty operator install.

TBH, you don't seem too up on this, and a bit unclear about what you are
doing and why.

take it to a local PC shop.
PC World are very good and charge as little as £35.

mike

"pcgfx805" <pcgfx805@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I purchased two network cards, one for my laptop and one for my pc. I
> installed them and put them in the way the instruction manual said but
they
> never worked. I could never see the other computer on the network. I
recieved
> alot of help from the manufactory but it never worked. But one person told
me
> to enter the ipconfig command into dos to see if my internet protocol was
> working. When I type this, on my laptop I always recieve and internal
error
> saying:
>
> An internal error occured: The request is not supported.
> Please contact Microsoft support services for futher help.
> Additional information: Unable to query routing information.
>
> I can't even assign one as it gives me the error again. I have tried
> reseting the IP but it gives the error again. I have no idea what to do.
> Please help I really don't want to have to buy a new laptop :(
> Thanks
January 10, 2005 1:12:32 AM

I've just mended that problem by installing the protocol again. But now I'm
having a problem with internet sharing. When I enable it on the desktop, it
gives an error that;

the service cannot accept control messages at this time

How can i fix this?
Thanks for the help
January 10, 2005 3:31:59 AM

"pcgfx805" <pcgfx805@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 7BB58A0-739C-4981-9D4C-37E1F8688F70@microsoft.com...
> I've just mended that problem by installing the protocol again. But now
> I'm
> having a problem with internet sharing. When I enable it on the desktop,
> it
> gives an error that;
>
> the service cannot accept control messages at this time
>
> How can i fix this?
> Thanks for the help

What operating system you using? Sounds like it needs a reinstall
!