K8V-SE Deluxe - SATA and Windows XP

OK, I'm a tad confused here!

About 2 months ago I built a pc for a friend using the above
motherboard. Everything went well with regards to loading the SATA
driver and installing XP etc. However, after some use they have
managed to ruin the installation of XP.

So now I have it back in my posession to reinstall XP. I choose to
load the SATA drive, loaded it from the disk but when I get to
choosing a partition there are no disks available! If I just let it
boot it does load Windows from the hard disk so it is working.

Can anyone shed light on this? I have tried loading the bios defaults
to no avail. I'm using the util from Asus to create the SATA disk and
it's a Maxtor drive.

Thanks.

> About 2 months ago I built a pc for a friend using the above
> motherboard. Everything went well with regards to loading the SATA
> driver and installing XP etc. However, after some use they have
> managed to ruin the installation of XP.
> So now I have it back in my posession to reinstall XP. I choose to
> load the SATA drive, loaded it from the disk but when I get to
> choosing a partition there are no disks available! If I just let it
> boot it does load Windows from the hard disk so it is working.
> Can anyone shed light on this? I have tried loading the bios defaults
> to no avail. I'm using the util from Asus to create the SATA disk and
> it's a Maxtor drive.

Did you press F6 during the first part of the Windows installation
which will allow you to load the SATA driver from a floppy?
You will first need to copy the driver to a floppy from a working computer.
The drivers are on the ASUS CD. It's either the Promise or
VIA SATA RAID controller depending on which connector
the hard drive is attached to.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!