DVD drive doesn't recognise DVD's anymore but will play/re..

Cannot play DVD's anymore. Even Windows Explorer tells me to insert a disk
when I click on the drive (when the DVD is already loaded).

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about drive doesn recognise anymore play

    Ensure the disk is clean of dust and fingerprints etc.... and if still no
    joy, get a CD Cleaning Kit and clean the drive's laser lens.
    --
    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Måç" <H@teSpam.com> wrote in message
    > Cannot play DVD's anymore. Even Windows Explorer tells me to insert a disk
    > when I click on the drive (when the DVD is already loaded).
    >
    > Any ideas welcomed.
    >
    > Thanks

    Try these:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218617

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308012

    Nathan McNulty

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Try these:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;218617
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308012
    >
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Måç wrote:
    >
    > > Cannot play DVD's anymore. Even Windows Explorer tells me to insert a disk
    > > when I click on the drive (when the DVD is already loaded).
    > >
    > > Any ideas welcomed.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Have many DVD's - but none will now play, but all CD's do.

    I guess it might be the laser lens - as I suppose DVD's are by nature more
    tricky to read.

    Will give it a try.

    > Ensure the disk is clean of dust and fingerprints etc.... and if still no
    > joy, get a CD Cleaning Kit and clean the drive's laser lens.
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Måç" <H@teSpam.com> wrote in message
    > > Cannot play DVD's anymore. Even Windows Explorer tells me to insert a
    disk
    > > when I click on the drive (when the DVD is already loaded).
    > >
    > > Any ideas welcomed.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    There are also two laser lenses... one for DVD and one for CD.
    --

    > Have many DVD's - but none will now play, but all CD's do.
    >
    > I guess it might be the laser lens - as I suppose DVD's are by nature more
    > tricky to read.
    >
    > Will give it a try.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> Ensure the disk is clean of dust and fingerprints etc.... and if still no
    >> joy, get a CD Cleaning Kit and clean the drive's laser lens.
    >> --
    >> Cari
    >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Måç" <H@teSpam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Cannot play DVD's anymore. Even Windows Explorer tells me to insert a
    > disk
    >> > when I click on the drive (when the DVD is already loaded).
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas welcomed.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    jumper on the DVD player from CS (cable select) to either
    slave or master respectivly. The setting you use would
    depend on where the DVD player is plugged into the
    motherboard.

    >.

    I got a DVD Lens cleaner and used it - but sadly has had no effect.

    > There are also two laser lenses... one for DVD and one for CD.
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Måç" <H@teSpam.com> wrote in message
    > > Have many DVD's - but none will now play, but all CD's do.
    > >
    > > I guess it might be the laser lens - as I suppose DVD's are by nature
    more
    > > tricky to read.
    > >
    > > Will give it a try.
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > >> Ensure the disk is clean of dust and fingerprints etc.... and if still
    no
    > >> joy, get a CD Cleaning Kit and clean the drive's laser lens.
    > >> --
    > >> Cari
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "Måç" <H@teSpam.com> wrote in message
    > > disk

    What DVD drive do you have (Look for full model # in device manager)? You haven't said yet.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Ensure the disk is clean of dust and fingerprints etc.... and if still no
    > joy, get a CD Cleaning Kit and clean the drive's laser lens.
    > --
    > Cari
    > MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Måç" <H@teSpam.com> wrote in message
    > > Cannot play DVD's anymore. Even Windows Explorer tells me to insert a disk
    > > when I click on the drive (when the DVD is already loaded).
    > >
    > > Any ideas welcomed.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >My Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-103 drive isalso not reading any kind of disk.It came already loaded. My Cd Rom LTN 486S is working fine and uses the same drive.It was also already installed.Have windows XP Home.Have tried alot of fixes,but to no avail.How does one go about cleaning the lens ?

Windows Explorer DVD Microsoft Hardware DVD Drives Windows XP