I just tried to determine my dvd-rom firmware ver. and
System information lists nothing under Components>
Multimedia> CD-ROM. The drives work OK and the info is
available using Nero. I checked another system and the
info shows up ok????

That is common. As long as Nero InfoTool is able to pull up your
firmware, you are fine. My DVD Burner doesn't show its firmware version
there either, but it does in Nero InfoTool ;)

Nathan McNulty