A7N8X: USB not recognised anymore on XP SP2

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

MoBo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04, NForce2, Bios 1007

Onboard USB Controller IDS: Vendor 10DE: DEV_0068, DEV_0067
---

After installing Windos XP SP2 sucessfully the
onboard USB Subsystem is not recognised anymore.
All ...\system32\drivers\usb*.sys have Version 5.1.2500.2180
consistenly. (also hccoin.dll and usbui.dll)

-2x Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
-1x Standard Extended PCI to USB Host Controller
Device Manager says "Code 39" driver could not be loaded, is not
available or damaged! (with yellow exclamation mark)

Deleting USB controllers and rebooting did not help.

I have searched all windows/inf/usb*.inf files, and
none of them contain the appropriate Nforce2-USB device IDs.

XP2 won't allow me to installl the old USB drivers,
which came with the Asus Mobo Driver CD and
which where working with SP1.
I've searched the Ausus web sites for USB updates, but could't
find any.

Under SP1 the onboard USB Host Controller was recognized and
functioning properly with multiple USB devices attached.

I would really appreciate any help, as I have wasted a full day
with un/installing, checking Knowlege Base articles, etc...
It seems the Microsoft XP system is fooling me again.

Kind Regards,
Lophiomys
7 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x recognised anymore
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <3ed0r0lmapnulnt83vuv1obsf3tsuf7kug@4ax.com>, lophiomys@gmx.at wrote:

    > MoBo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04, NForce2, Bios 1007
    >
    > Onboard USB Controller IDS: Vendor 10DE: DEV_0068, DEV_0067
    > ---
    >
    > After installing Windos XP SP2 sucessfully the
    > onboard USB Subsystem is not recognised anymore.
    > All ...\system32\drivers\usb*.sys have Version 5.1.2500.2180
    > consistenly. (also hccoin.dll and usbui.dll)
    >
    > -2x Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    > -1x Standard Extended PCI to USB Host Controller
    > Device Manager says "Code 39" driver could not be loaded, is not
    > available or damaged! (with yellow exclamation mark)
    >
    > Deleting USB controllers and rebooting did not help.
    >
    > I have searched all windows/inf/usb*.inf files, and
    > none of them contain the appropriate Nforce2-USB device IDs.
    >
    > XP2 won't allow me to installl the old USB drivers,
    > which came with the Asus Mobo Driver CD and
    > which where working with SP1.
    > I've searched the Ausus web sites for USB updates, but could't
    > find any.
    >
    > Under SP1 the onboard USB Host Controller was recognized and
    > functioning properly with multiple USB devices attached.
    >
    > I would really appreciate any help, as I have wasted a full day
    > with un/installing, checking Knowlege Base articles, etc...
    > It seems the Microsoft XP system is fooling me again.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    > Lophiomys

    The best site to check, is nforcershq:

    http://nforcershq.com/forum/search.php

    This is the closest link I could find. Don't know if
    the Microsoft article will help you or not.

    http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51877
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873169

    HTH,
    Paul
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Re install the usb drivers from the ASUS disk and then Reboot
    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
    news:nospam-0312040550310001@192.168.1.177...
    > In article <3ed0r0lmapnulnt83vuv1obsf3tsuf7kug@4ax.com>, lophiomys@gmx.at
    > wrote:
    >
    >> MoBo: Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.04, NForce2, Bios 1007
    >>
    >> Onboard USB Controller IDS: Vendor 10DE: DEV_0068, DEV_0067
    >> ---
    >>
    >> After installing Windos XP SP2 sucessfully the
    >> onboard USB Subsystem is not recognised anymore.
    >> All ...\system32\drivers\usb*.sys have Version 5.1.2500.2180
    >> consistenly. (also hccoin.dll and usbui.dll)
    >>
    >> -2x Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    >> -1x Standard Extended PCI to USB Host Controller
    >> Device Manager says "Code 39" driver could not be loaded, is not
    >> available or damaged! (with yellow exclamation mark)
    >>
    >> Deleting USB controllers and rebooting did not help.
    >>
    >> I have searched all windows/inf/usb*.inf files, and
    >> none of them contain the appropriate Nforce2-USB device IDs.
    >>
    >> XP2 won't allow me to installl the old USB drivers,
    >> which came with the Asus Mobo Driver CD and
    >> which where working with SP1.
    >> I've searched the Ausus web sites for USB updates, but could't
    >> find any.
    >>
    >> Under SP1 the onboard USB Host Controller was recognized and
    >> functioning properly with multiple USB devices attached.
    >>
    >> I would really appreciate any help, as I have wasted a full day
    >> with un/installing, checking Knowlege Base articles, etc...
    >> It seems the Microsoft XP system is fooling me again.
    >>
    >> Kind Regards,
    >> Lophiomys
    >
    > The best site to check, is nforcershq:
    >
    > http://nforcershq.com/forum/search.php
    >
    > This is the closest link I could find. Don't know if
    > the Microsoft article will help you or not.
    >
    > http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51877
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873169
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Thanks for your answers so far.

    I have now done the following.
    disconnect all usb devices.
    uninstall all software accessing usb (printer, active sync ...)
    windows xp installation repair
    reinstalling sp1a

    again no solution to to the problem, same symptoms:
    - sp1a MS USB drivers V 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828.1920) give "Code
    39"
    - The old drivers vom the Asus CD which came with the A7N8X Deluxe
    give the same result. "Code 39" translated from German: "could not
    load driver." or "could not initialize device".

    the crazy thing is that before the xp2 update, everything was working
    fine with usb and everything else.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <17t1r052kikoja2t958mlmcs1gu4n9ghua@4ax.com>, lophiomys@gmx.at wrote:

    > Thanks for your answers so far.
    >
    > I have now done the following.
    > disconnect all usb devices.
    > uninstall all software accessing usb (printer, active sync ...)
    > windows xp installation repair
    > reinstalling sp1a
    >
    > again no solution to to the problem, same symptoms:
    > - sp1a MS USB drivers V 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828.1920) give "Code
    > 39"
    > - The old drivers vom the Asus CD which came with the A7N8X Deluxe
    > give the same result. "Code 39" translated from German: "could not
    > load driver." or "could not initialize device".
    >
    > the crazy thing is that before the xp2 update, everything was working
    > fine with usb and everything else.

    Try this page. It recommends deleting USB from Device Manager,
    while booted into Safe Mode.

    http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

    HTH,
    Paul
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Thanks Paul for pointing me to http://www.usbman.com

    I tried that too: Deleting the faulty USB Controllers from within
    Save Mode and rebooting into standard mode did not help.

    I phoned Microsoft XP2 Support and the friendly guy there also had no
    idea. System Files Check, sfc.exe /scannow also did not reveal any
    inconsistencies.
    IMHO the updated USB drivers and Inf files do not direclty support the
    USB chips with VEN_10DE&DEV_0068, DEV_0067, and the compatible
    generic drivers are not compatible.

    Following another hint found on the internet, funny enough, I
    installed the USB 2.0 Controller drivers for Winodws 98(!),
    found on the A7N8X Deluxe Drivers download page,
    and these did install correclty, at least for the
    Nvidia USB 2.0 Controller and Hub.
    The Standard OpenHDC USB Controllers still showing "Code 39" or "Code
    41" (a new one for a change).

    My last resort will be format C: and fresh install of XP.
    :(


    PS:
    I do wonder how many A7N8X users are affected by USB problems after
    installing Windows XP SP2?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:27:14 +0100, lophiomys <lophiomys@gmx.at> wrote:

    >
    >My last resort will be format C: and fresh install of XP.
    >:(

    Formatting - $25
    Re-Installing Windows - $50
    Re-Installing all your applications - $500

    Backup Image - Priceless! :)

    >
    >PS:
    >I do wonder how many A7N8X users are affected by USB problems after
    >installing Windows XP SP2?

    Well if were voting ;p No problems here.
    A7N8X(non-Dlx) / WinXP SP2
    Ed
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Solution:
    In the end I did a complete re-install form WinXP CD.

    This is the complete list of steps, which recovered the USB
    controllers:
    1. install from WinXP CD (usb 1.1 reconised, USB2.0 Ctrl not)
    2. install USB Hotfix Q312370 on A7N8X orig CD.
    3. instlall USB 2.0 usb2x.inf from A7N8X orig CD. only for
    unrecognised USB 2.0 controller
    4. install DirectX9 (needed by NForce 5.10)
    5. install NForce 5.10
    ....

    Thanks to all helping out here.

    And special regards to Microsoft with it's XP SP2 which
    corrupted the USB drivers originally and
    giving me a nice experience.

    I'm switching to Linux now!

    Regards,
    Lophiomys
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus USB Windows XP Motherboards