Ultra ATA controller card problem

I have winxp sp1. I have a 160G WD hard drive on a
Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controller card. This gives me the
full capacity of the HD. I installed a second WD 160G HD
on the same controller card. I can only get 137.4G of
capacity on this HD. I have tried everything I can think
of with no solution. The controller card bios sees both
drives as 149G, which is correct. However, XP sees only
137.4 on the second drive. Any ideas?

woody

There is a driver update available from WDC. Link provided:

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

Look halfway down page.

Good luck.

Woody

"jjvb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have winxp sp1. I have a 160G WD hard drive on a
> Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controller card. This gives me the
> full capacity of the HD. I installed a second WD 160G HD
> on the same controller card. I can only get 137.4G of
> capacity on this HD. I have tried everything I can think
> of with no solution. The controller card bios sees both
> drives as 149G, which is correct. However, XP sees only
> 137.4 on the second drive. Any ideas?

Also, with two harddrives like that, you really should look at running
those in RAID. Not sure if that controller card is capable of that, but
may be something you will want to look into in the future. RAID will
allow you to have much better system performance as well as better data
management. ;)

Nathan McNulty

Woody wrote:

> There is a driver update available from WDC. Link provided:
>
> http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp
>
> Look halfway down page.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Woody
>
> "jjvb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have winxp sp1. I have a 160G WD hard drive on a
>>Promise Ultra 100 TX2 controller card. This gives me the
>>full capacity of the HD. I installed a second WD 160G HD
>>on the same controller card. I can only get 137.4G of
>>capacity on this HD. I have tried everything I can think
>>of with no solution. The controller card bios sees both
>>drives as 149G, which is correct. However, XP sees only
>>137.4 on the second drive. Any ideas?

woody

The TX2 is not raid capable but good point.