TX97-XV Bios Switch from Phoenix to Award

Good day all - I am updating an HP Pavilion 8140 with an AMD K6-3 400
processor. I figured out the required jumper settings for the multipliers
and VCore and got the new processor running, but the Phoenix bios supplied
by HP reports the processor as a K6-2 233. I thought I could flash the bios
with the latest Award bios from Asus, but when I try I get an error message
about not being able to find the "hook" for the flash to proceed. The
computer seems to be running just fine as is, but I would prefer to have the
latest Asus Award bios installed if possible. Does anyone have any helpful
suggestions?
2 answers Last reply
More about tx97 bios switch phoenix award

    Dean, Heather, Blair, Cameron and McKenna Smith wrote:
    > Good day all - I am updating an HP Pavilion 8140 with an AMD K6-3 400
    > processor. I figured out the required jumper settings for the multipliers
    > and VCore and got the new processor running, but the Phoenix bios supplied
    > by HP reports the processor as a K6-2 233. I thought I could flash the bios
    > with the latest Award bios from Asus, but when I try I get an error message
    > about not being able to find the "hook" for the flash to proceed. The
    > computer seems to be running just fine as is, but I would prefer to have the
    > latest Asus Award bios installed if possible. Does anyone have any helpful
    > suggestions?

    Wow! I tried the same thing with the 8140 and a K6-2 500. Never was
    able to flash it. But I didn't get it to boot past the post screen,
    i.e. couldn't get it to go into Windows. Do you have the multiplier set
    for 2X(6X)? If so, it should be running at 400 MHz whether it says so
    or not on the post screen. If you can get into Windows, run cpu-z
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and see what it says your CPU is running at.

    Since it is unlikely you will be able to flash the AWARD BIOS, you can
    enable performance enhancing options with utilities found at:

    <http://www.k6plus.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1>

    Good luck.

    George

    George - I ran WPCUID and found that the processor is running at 400 mhz so
    I guess everything is working as expected. I did change the multiplier
    jumpers to 2x as the K6-3 assumes a 6x in that case. I left the clock at
    66 mhz. I also reverse engineered the V Core jumpers so I could set the CPU
    voltage to 2.4 volts. I also know what the jumper settings are for 2.2 and
    2.0 volts if you're interested. Thanks for the link to the K6 processor
    optimizations. I'm considering programming a flash part with the Award bios
    on my programmer at work and trying it in the motherboard just to see what
    happens.... - Thanks for your input - Dean

    "gdp" <gdp416@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > Dean, Heather, Blair, Cameron and McKenna Smith wrote:
    > > Good day all - I am updating an HP Pavilion 8140 with an AMD K6-3 400
    > > processor. I figured out the required jumper settings for the
    multipliers
    > > and VCore and got the new processor running, but the Phoenix bios
    supplied
    > > by HP reports the processor as a K6-2 233. I thought I could flash the
    bios
    > > with the latest Award bios from Asus, but when I try I get an error
    message
    > > about not being able to find the "hook" for the flash to proceed. The
    > > computer seems to be running just fine as is, but I would prefer to have
    the
    > > latest Asus Award bios installed if possible. Does anyone have any
    helpful
    > > suggestions?
    > >

    > Wow! I tried the same thing with the 8140 and a K6-2 500. Never was
    > able to flash it. But I didn't get it to boot past the post screen,
    > i.e. couldn't get it to go into Windows. Do you have the multiplier set
    > for 2X(6X)? If so, it should be running at 400 MHz whether it says so
    > or not on the post screen. If you can get into Windows, run cpu-z
    > http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and see what it says your CPU is running at.
    >
    > Since it is unlikely you will be able to flash the AWARD BIOS, you can
    > enable performance enhancing options with utilities found at:

    <http://www.k6plus.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=
    viewdownload&cid=1>

    > Good luck.
    >
    > George