drives..cd-r...cd-rw

wendy

My cd-rw won't record..I finally understand how to regedit and I am comfortable to do it..but I was also wondering what the difference is in drives between cd-r & cd-rw...I mainly burn on cd-r's..Thank you one and all as I have learnt so much from this news group.
Wendy

Ok, first, a CD-R is a Recordable CD that can only be written to once
and cannot be erased. A CD-RW is a ReWritable CD that can be written to
about a 1000 times and the data can be erased from it.

For recording to a CD-RW, I would suggest using NeroInfoTool to find out
if your drive has Mt. Ranieer support. This allows you to use a CD-RW
the same way you would a floppy.

http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html

I would also use Nero to write to the CD's if you don't have a software
burning program yet. Here are a couple of links for you to check out on
how to get your CD Burner running properly:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129#7

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279157

Nathan McNulty

wendy wrote:

> My cd-rw won't record..I finally understand how to regedit and I am comfortable to do it..but I was also wondering what the difference is in drives between cd-r & cd-rw...I mainly burn on cd-r's..Thank you one and all as I have learnt so much from this news group.
> Wendy

wendy

Hi nathan..I have become so frustrated with trying to burn with WMP9..everything worked great until like 4 weeks ago..I have saw many suggestions on here to do the nero route..I obviously had a software burning program but have lost it some how...I will try your suggestions thank you very much...I will reply to this post if I have any more questions...which I'm sure I will..

wendy

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Ok, first, a CD-R is a Recordable CD that can only be written to once
> and cannot be erased. A CD-RW is a ReWritable CD that can be written to
> about a 1000 times and the data can be erased from it.
>
> For recording to a CD-RW, I would suggest using NeroInfoTool to find out
> if your drive has Mt. Ranieer support. This allows you to use a CD-RW
> the same way you would a floppy.
>
> http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html
>
> I would also use Nero to write to the CD's if you don't have a software
> burning program yet. Here are a couple of links for you to check out on
> how to get your CD Burner running properly:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129#7
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279157
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> wendy wrote:
>
> > My cd-rw won't record..I finally understand how to regedit and I am comfortable to do it..but I was also wondering what the difference is in drives between cd-r & cd-rw...I mainly burn on cd-r's..Thank you one and all as I have learnt so much from this news group.
> > Wendy

I forgot to mention. A CD-RW has to be formatted before it can be used.
This process may take a while and requires a program like Nero since
Windows is not able to do this on its own. For recording in Windows
Media Player I would suggest checking out this article too:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319

Good luck with your drive and I hope it works for you. I'm glad to help
with any other questions you might have :)

Nathan McNulty

wendy wrote:

> Hi nathan..I have become so frustrated with trying to burn with WMP9..everything worked great until like 4 weeks ago..I have saw many suggestions on here to do the nero route..I obviously had a software burning program but have lost it some how...I will try your suggestions thank you very much...I will reply to this post if I have any more questions...which I'm sure I will..
>
> wendy
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Ok, first, a CD-R is a Recordable CD that can only be written to once
>>and cannot be erased. A CD-RW is a ReWritable CD that can be written to
>>about a 1000 times and the data can be erased from it.
>>
>>For recording to a CD-RW, I would suggest using NeroInfoTool to find out
>>if your drive has Mt. Ranieer support. This allows you to use a CD-RW
>>the same way you would a floppy.
>>
>>http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html
>>
>>I would also use Nero to write to the CD's if you don't have a software
>>burning program yet. Here are a couple of links for you to check out on
>>how to get your CD Burner running properly:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129#7
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279157
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>wendy wrote:
>>

>>>My cd-rw won't record..I finally understand how to regedit and I am comfortable to do it..but I was also wondering what the difference is in drives between cd-r & cd-rw...I mainly burn on cd-r's..Thank you one and all as I have learnt so much from this news group.
>>>Wendy

In an earlier post you said that a CD-R can only be
used once, which is wrong. Multi-session burning can be
done so long as the disk isn't closed. Now you say that
CD-RWs have to be formatted before use. Wrong again.
CD-RWs can be used exactly as CD-Rs are used, except that
they may be erased and used over. Formatting is necessary
only for packet writing.

wendy

Hi again..this is the cdrom that I have installed...LG CD-RW CED 86208..I've had tried to go to find out if it is compatible with my puter...How do I find out as can't find it in any of the compatibility pages that I have checked. Should I just uninstall and then reinstall..? Or should I just say the heck with it and install nero..
wendy

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> I forgot to mention. A CD-RW has to be formatted before it can be used.
> This process may take a while and requires a program like Nero since
> Windows is not able to do this on its own. For recording in Windows
> Media Player I would suggest checking out this article too:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319
>
> Good luck with your drive and I hope it works for you. I'm glad to help
> with any other questions you might have :)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> wendy wrote:
>
> > Hi nathan..I have become so frustrated with trying to burn with WMP9..everything worked great until like 4 weeks ago..I have saw many suggestions on here to do the nero route..I obviously had a software burning program but have lost it some how...I will try your suggestions thank you very much...I will reply to this post if I have any more questions...which I'm sure I will..
> >
> > wendy
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>Ok, first, a CD-R is a Recordable CD that can only be written to once
> >>and cannot be erased. A CD-RW is a ReWritable CD that can be written to
> >>about a 1000 times and the data can be erased from it.
> >>
> >>For recording to a CD-RW, I would suggest using NeroInfoTool to find out
> >>if your drive has Mt. Ranieer support. This allows you to use a CD-RW
> >>the same way you would a floppy.
> >>
> >>http://www.nero.com/en/631940826989307.html
> >>
> >>I would also use Nero to write to the CD's if you don't have a software
> >>burning program yet. Here are a couple of links for you to check out on
> >>how to get your CD Burner running properly:
> >>
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129#7
> >>
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279157
> >>
> >>Nathan McNulty

You try explaining multisession and packet writing to someone who
doesn't know the difference between CD-R and CD-RW and you are going to
lose them. Technically, you can write multiple times to a CD-R, but you
cannot write over where you have already written data to. I guess I
should have said they are for a one time use only.

And for CD-RW, I suggest you read the post. I mentioned using Mt.
Ranieer support for the CD-RW which would require formatting the disc.
The point is to be helpful and give the basics.

Nathan McNulty

Wislu Plethora wrote:

> [...]

Give Nero a try and see if it works for you ;)

Nathan McNulty

wendy wrote:

> Hi again..this is the cdrom that I have installed...LG CD-RW CED 86208..I've had tried to go to find out if it is compatible with my puter...How do I find out as can't find it in any of the compatibility pages that I have checked. Should I just uninstall and then reinstall..? Or should I just say the heck with it and install nero..
> wendy
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>I forgot to mention. A CD-RW has to be formatted before it can be used.
>>This process may take a while and requires a program like Nero since
>>Windows is not able to do this on its own. For recording in Windows
>>Media Player I would suggest checking out this article too:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319
>>
>>Good luck with your drive and I hope it works for you. I'm glad to help
>>with any other questions you might have :)
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>wendy wrote:
>>

>>>Hi nathan..I have become so frustrated with trying to burn with WMP9..everything worked great until like 4 weeks ago..I have saw many suggestions on here to do the nero route..I obviously had a software burning program but have lost it some how...I will try your suggestions thank you very much...I will reply to this post if I have any more questions....which I'm sure I will..
>>>
>>>wendy

wendy

Is nero a freebie and if so what version should I try?
wendy

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Give Nero a try and see if it works for you ;)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> wendy wrote:
>
> > Hi again..this is the cdrom that I have installed...LG CD-RW CED 86208..I've had tried to go to find out if it is compatible with my puter...How do I find out as can't find it in any of the compatibility pages that I have checked. Should I just uninstall and then reinstall..? Or should I just say the heck with it and install nero..
> > wendy
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>I forgot to mention. A CD-RW has to be formatted before it can be used.
> >>This process may take a while and requires a program like Nero since
> >>Windows is not able to do this on its own. For recording in Windows
> >>Media Player I would suggest checking out this article too:
> >>
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319
> >>
> >>Good luck with your drive and I hope it works for you. I'm glad to help
> >>with any other questions you might have :)
> >>
> >>Nathan McNulty

Nero is free to try, but it costs a bit of money for the full thing. You
can actually get the OEM version of Nero for around $5-$10 and often
comes with your CD Burner. Nero can be downloaded at www.nero.com as a
free trial. Here is a link to Nero OEM for $7.99:
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12252.html

It mentions that it must be purchased with hardware, but this is not
true. It will allow you to order without hardware on your order ;)

Nathan McNulty