usb 2.0 mass storage device error

Jo

HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A
HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB
hub.

Win XP Home SP1

I have verified that the laptop [ Sony PCG FX49A ] really
has XP SP1. I even re-installed SP1. However, I did not
remove SP1 before re-installing SP1.

The laptop has only 1.1 ports. No updates at Sony.

Same device on my bench PC running Win 2000 PRO SP4; in
dev mgr, USB 2 mass storage device "code 10". I have
downloaded & installed the latest drivers from via's
website.

I might have a defective drive. I might have a defective
USB 2.0 cable.

Thanks for your help.

Jo

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

It is unclear what the issue is. USB 1.1 hub is a low speed device.

"Jo" wrote:

> HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A
> HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB
> hub.
>
> Win XP Home SP1
>
> I have verified that the laptop [ Sony PCG FX49A ] really
> has XP SP1. I even re-installed SP1. However, I did not
> remove SP1 before re-installing SP1.
>
> The laptop has only 1.1 ports. No updates at Sony.
>
> Same device on my bench PC running Win 2000 PRO SP4; in
> dev mgr, USB 2 mass storage device "code 10". I have
> downloaded & installed the latest drivers from via's
> website.
>
> I might have a defective drive. I might have a defective
> USB 2.0 cable.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jo

Just to be clear, you can't upgrade to USB 2.0 via software. It's a
hardware upgrade. Try a cardbus USB 2.0 card.

"Jo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A
> HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB
> hub.
>
> Win XP Home SP1
>
> I have verified that the laptop [ Sony PCG FX49A ] really
> has XP SP1. I even re-installed SP1. However, I did not
> remove SP1 before re-installing SP1.
>
> The laptop has only 1.1 ports. No updates at Sony.
>
> Same device on my bench PC running Win 2000 PRO SP4; in
> dev mgr, USB 2 mass storage device "code 10". I have
> downloaded & installed the latest drivers from via's
> website.
>
> I might have a defective drive. I might have a defective
> USB 2.0 cable.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jo

Jo

The issue is that I have an external hard drive, USB 2,
that connects to the PC via a USB 2 cable.

Yes, I am aware that an upgrade from 1.1 to 2 is a
hardware upgrade.

Yes, I have considered adding a USB 2 port to the PC. But
I am looking for a way to resolve the Windows error
message.

Jo

How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub"
warning message:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;835967