usb 2.0 mass storage device error

HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A
HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB
hub.

Win XP Home SP1

I have verified that the laptop [ Sony PCG FX49A ] really
has XP SP1. I even re-installed SP1. However, I did not
remove SP1 before re-installing SP1.

The laptop has only 1.1 ports. No updates at Sony.

Same device on my bench PC running Win 2000 PRO SP4; in
dev mgr, USB 2 mass storage device "code 10". I have
downloaded & installed the latest drivers from via's
website.

I might have a defective drive. I might have a defective
USB 2.0 cable.

Thanks for your help.

Jo
4 answers Last reply
More about mass storage device error

    It is unclear what the issue is. USB 1.1 hub is a low speed device.

    "Jo" wrote:

    > HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A
    > HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB
    > hub.
    >
    > Win XP Home SP1
    >
    > I have verified that the laptop [ Sony PCG FX49A ] really
    > has XP SP1. I even re-installed SP1. However, I did not
    > remove SP1 before re-installing SP1.
    >
    > The laptop has only 1.1 ports. No updates at Sony.
    >
    > Same device on my bench PC running Win 2000 PRO SP4; in
    > dev mgr, USB 2 mass storage device "code 10". I have
    > downloaded & installed the latest drivers from via's
    > website.
    >
    > I might have a defective drive. I might have a defective
    > USB 2.0 cable.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Jo

    Just to be clear, you can't upgrade to USB 2.0 via software. It's a
    hardware upgrade. Try a cardbus USB 2.0 card.

    "Jo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A
    > HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB
    > hub.
    >
    > Win XP Home SP1
    >
    > I have verified that the laptop [ Sony PCG FX49A ] really
    > has XP SP1. I even re-installed SP1. However, I did not
    > remove SP1 before re-installing SP1.
    >
    > The laptop has only 1.1 ports. No updates at Sony.
    >
    > Same device on my bench PC running Win 2000 PRO SP4; in
    > dev mgr, USB 2 mass storage device "code 10". I have
    > downloaded & installed the latest drivers from via's
    > website.
    >
    > I might have a defective drive. I might have a defective
    > USB 2.0 cable.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Jo

    The issue is that I have an external hard drive, USB 2,
    that connects to the PC via a USB 2 cable.

    Yes, I am aware that an upgrade from 1.1 to 2 is a
    hardware upgrade.

    Yes, I have considered adding a USB 2 port to the PC. But
    I am looking for a way to resolve the Windows error
    message.

    Jo

    How to turn off the "Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub"
    warning message:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;835967

    > The issue is that I have an external hard drive, USB 2,
    > that connects to the PC via a USB 2 cable.
    >
    > Yes, I am aware that an upgrade from 1.1 to 2 is a
    > hardware upgrade.
    >
    > Yes, I have considered adding a USB 2 port to the PC. But
    > I am looking for a way to resolve the Windows error
    > message.
    >
    > Jo

USB Devices Windows XP