Cool and Quiet

I just got a new rig with an ASUS A8V deluxe. I'm trying to figure out
how this cool and quiet thing works. I loaded the drivers, set the
power settings and I'm running the C&Q app, but I don't see any fan
slowdown after the PC is idle. Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks,

--
Thermaltake 3000BNA Black case w/450W PS
ASUS A8V deluxe

check it out at http://www.widowpc.com/

Paul

Splendid

In article <MPG.1c1c9162e9b224569896a1@news-server.nycap.rr.com>, WhoKnows
<funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:

> I just got a new rig with an ASUS A8V deluxe. I'm trying to figure out=20
> how this cool and quiet thing works. I loaded the drivers, set the=20
> power settings and I'm running the C&Q app, but I don't see any fan=20
> slowdown after the PC is idle. Can someone give me a hint?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --=20
> Thermaltake 3000BNA Black case w/450W PS
> ASUS A8V deluxe
> Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939
> 1GB (x2 512MB) Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR 400 Kingston RAM=20
> Radeon X800 XT 256MB AGP
> Creative Sound Blaster=AE Audigy=AE 2 ZS
> 160GB MAXTOR=AE 7200 RPM SATA w/8MB Cache
> 160GB WD 7200 RPM IDE w/8MB Cache
> Sony DWD22A 16x DVD+/-RW Double Layer
>
> check it out at http://www.widowpc.com/

What happens when you enable Q-fan, then leave the computer
sitting idle in the desktop ? The room should get very
very quiet :) The fan can even stop, because Q-fan triggers
at 50C, and if you have a decent sized heatsink on the
processor, there can be enough passive cooling from that,
to keep the die temp slightly below 50C. It is OK for the
CPU fan to stop - if you fire up Prime95 or other burn-in
software, the fan will start right up again.

Have you followed the instructions for installing CNQ ?
This is from the readme file included with the amd_cnq_driver.zip
file from the Asus download page for the A8V.

"Cool'n'Quiet Technology
The motherboard supports the AMD's Cool'n'Quiet(tm) Technology
that dynamically and automatically change the CPU speed, voltage
and amount of power depending on the task the CPU performs.

To enable Cool'n'Quiet technology:
1.Turn on the system and enter BIOS by pressing the Delete key
during the Power On Self-Tests (POST).
2.In the Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> AMD CPU Cool'n'Quiet
Configuration menu, select the item Cool'n'Quiet and set it to
Enabled.
3.In the Power menu, select the item ACPI 2.0 Support and set it
to Yes.
4.Save your changes and exit BIOS Setup.

If you are using Windows 2000/XP operating system:
1.From the Windows 2000/XP operating system, click the Start
button. Select Settings, then Control Panel.
2.Switch to Classic View.
3.Double-click the Display icon in the Control Panel then select
the Screen Saver tab.
4.Click the Power... button. The following dialog box appears.
5.From the Power schemes combo list box,
select Minimal Power Management.
6.Click OK to implement settings.

NOTE: Make sure to install the Cool'n'Quiet driver and application
when using this feature.

If you are using Windows 98SE/ME operating system:
1.From the Windows 98SE/ME operating system, click the Start
button. Select Settings, then Control Panel.
2.Double-click the Display icon in the Control Panel then select
the Screen Saver tab.
3.From the Energy saving features of monitor group, click the
Settings... button.
4.From the Power Options Properties dialog box, select the AMD's
Cool'n'Quiet(tm) Technology tab.
5.Click the Performance combo list box, to select desired mode.
Automatic mode is the recommended setting.
6.Click OK to implement settings."

After the driver is installed, then you can use the Asus dashboard,
to review what is happening. If you are using the latest versions
of driver and dashboard software, everything should work.

HTH,
Paul

It also slows the cpu down to about 1 Gig and lowers the cpu voltage as
well. You can see that when you install and use PowerNow Dashboard.

"WhoKnows" <funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
I just got a new rig with an ASUS A8V deluxe. I'm trying to figure out
how this cool and quiet thing works. I loaded the drivers, set the
power settings and I'm running the C&Q app, but I don't see any fan
slowdown after the PC is idle. Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks,

--
Thermaltake 3000BNA Black case w/450W PS
ASUS A8V deluxe
Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939
1GB (x2 512MB) Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR 400 Kingston RAM
Radeon X800 XT 256MB AGP
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS
160GB MAXTOR® 7200 RPM SATA w/8MB Cache
160GB WD 7200 RPM IDE w/8MB Cache
Sony DWD22A 16x DVD+/-RW Double Layer

check it out at http://www.widowpc.com/

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:31:17 GMT, WhoKnows
<funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:

>I just got a new rig with an ASUS A8V deluxe. I'm trying to figure out
>how this cool and quiet thing works. I loaded the drivers, set the
>power settings and I'm running the C&Q app, but I don't see any fan
>slowdown after the PC is idle. Can someone give me a hint?

Cool 'n Quite only slows down your CPU fan to 73% in the best case.

Bert

In article <10r5qam6io9qhcb@corp.supernews.com>,
do@not.mail.because.this.adress.is.invalid says...
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:31:17 GMT, WhoKnows
> <funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >I just got a new rig with an ASUS A8V deluxe. I'm trying to figure out
> >how this cool and quiet thing works. I loaded the drivers, set the
> >power settings and I'm running the C&Q app, but I don't see any fan
> >slowdown after the PC is idle. Can someone give me a hint?
>
> Cool 'n Quite only slows down your CPU fan to 73% in the best case.
>

> Bert

Thanks Bert. I was mistakingly under the impression that it was going
to manage all the fans. My bad!!

Thanks,

In article <cMDsd.876$dC3.15836@news20.bellglobal.com>, I'mnuts@home.com
says...
> It also slows the cpu down to about 1 Gig and lowers the cpu voltage as
> well. You can see that when you install and use PowerNow Dashboard.
>

> "WhoKnows" <funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
> I just got a new rig with an ASUS A8V deluxe. I'm trying to figure out
> how this cool and quiet thing works. I loaded the drivers, set the
> power settings and I'm running the C&Q app, but I don't see any fan
> slowdown after the PC is idle. Can someone give me a hint?
>
> Thanks,

Thanks for the tips guys. I had missed enabling cool and quiet in the
CPU settings. Funny how that would keep it from working!!?? :) I'm now
cool and quiet!

Thanks again!
--
Thanks for all replies!!

Kool !!

> In article <cMDsd.876$dC3.15836@news20.bellglobal.com>, I'mnuts@home.com
> says...
>> It also slows the cpu down to about 1 Gig and lowers the cpu voltage as
>> well. You can see that when you install and use PowerNow Dashboard.
>>

>> "WhoKnows" <funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I just got a new rig with an ASUS A8V deluxe. I'm trying to figure out
>> how this cool and quiet thing works. I loaded the drivers, set the
>> power settings and I'm running the C&Q app, but I don't see any fan
>> slowdown after the PC is idle. Can someone give me a hint?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Thanks for the tips guys. I had missed enabling cool and quiet in the
> CPU settings. Funny how that would keep it from working!!?? :) I'm now
> cool and quiet!
>
> Thanks again!
> --
> Thanks for all replies!!

In article <nospam-0512040804380001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
says...

> What happens when you enable Q-fan, then leave the computer
> sitting idle in the desktop ? The room should get very
> very quiet :) The fan can even stop, because Q-fan triggers
> at 50C, and if you have a decent sized heatsink on the
> processor, there can be enough passive cooling from that,
> to keep the die temp slightly below 50C. It is OK for the
> CPU fan to stop - if you fire up Prime95 or other burn-in
> software, the fan will start right up again.

The Qfan is that part of cool and quiet? If I'm understanding you, Qfan
will vary the speed of the fan according to the the of the CPU. Does
that also work for the case fans? Is it a variable speed for these
things of just a on-off mechanism?

Also 50c seems pretty hot to me. My cpu is around 27c with C&Q enabled
but the CPU fan is still on.

Thanks,

Paul

Splendid

In article <MPG.1c1d9d54151307359896a5@news-server.nycap.rr.com>, WhoKnows
<funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:

> In article <nospam-0512040804380001@192.168.1.177>, nospam@needed.com
> says...
> >
> > What happens when you enable Q-fan, then leave the computer
> > sitting idle in the desktop ? The room should get very
> > very quiet :) The fan can even stop, because Q-fan triggers
> > at 50C, and if you have a decent sized heatsink on the
> > processor, there can be enough passive cooling from that,
> > to keep the die temp slightly below 50C. It is OK for the
> > CPU fan to stop - if you fire up Prime95 or other burn-in
> > software, the fan will start right up again.
>
> The Qfan is that part of cool and quiet? If I'm understanding you, Qfan
> will vary the speed of the fan according to the the of the CPU. Does
> that also work for the case fans? Is it a variable speed for these
> things of just a on-off mechanism?
>
> Also 50c seems pretty hot to me. My cpu is around 27c with C&Q enabled
> but the CPU fan is still on.
>
> Thanks,

http://www.asus.com/mb/qfan.htm

I've seen a post from someone in this group, who claimed
the fan stopped while the system was idle. The figure above
shows "3000 RPM" as the minimum speed, but it isn't likely
that Q-fan is trying to control that. I don't know if the
AMD retail heatsink/fan has its own built-in control features,
but it could be that the combination of the two results in
the fan stopping. Or, it could even be that Asus made some
changes to the Q-fan algorithm on this board in a later
BIOS release. In any case, as long as you have a usable
response curve from the board, enjoy!

The purpose of the 50C, is to allow the fan speed to be
minimized. Just like power supplies run warmer than they
should, in the name of minimizing fan noise. Q-fan has
a setting, like 11/16, that determines how much the fan
slows down when the CPU is cool. I think 11/16 is the
slowest you can set it.

You could test the response of the fan, by using Prime95
(from mersenne.org) or maybe Super_PI or some other
CPU loading software. Asus Probe can be used to capture
data from the hardware monitor chip (but it may only
be reviewed graphically via their interface). You can
try games and such, then after you are done gaming,
temperature wise.

HTH,
Paul

"Paul" wrote
>> The Qfan is that part of cool and quiet? If I'm understanding you, Qfan
>> will vary the speed of the fan according to the the of the CPU. Does
>> that also work for the case fans? Is it a variable speed for these
>> things of just a on-off mechanism?

Hi,

sorry a bit late in the thread, but I don't think *Q-Fan* works like that.
I am using it on a ASUS P4C800e to slow down a 120mm fan suspended above the
CPU, Mem, NB. I have Q-Fan set to 11/16 and that what it does, that is slow
down the fan to eleventh sixteenths, doesn't adjust it further, i.e it
doesn't spin any faster when the CPU is under load.

On my ABIT AI7 mobo it has uGuru Fan-EQ which acts just like you described
Q-Fan, that is it will *intelligently* adjust the Fan rpm's according to the
heat of the CPU and will ramp up the fan speeds according to your settings,
i.e If the CPU hits 50°C it will give the fan the full 12v, but when the CPU
lowers to say 40°C it will only supply 8v so the fan spins slower. . .

Wayne ][

Wayne Youngman schrieb:
> "Paul" wrote
>
>>>The Qfan is that part of cool and quiet? If I'm understanding you, Qfan
>>>will vary the speed of the fan according to the the of the CPU. Does
>>>that also work for the case fans? Is it a variable speed for these
>>>things of just a on-off mechanism?
>

> Hi,
>
> sorry a bit late in the thread, but I don't think *Q-Fan* works like that.
> I am using it on a ASUS P4C800e to slow down a 120mm fan suspended above the
> CPU, Mem, NB. I have Q-Fan set to 11/16 and that what it does, that is slow
> down the fan to eleventh sixteenths, doesn't adjust it further, i.e it
> doesn't spin any faster when the CPU is under load.

Hi,

there aren`t too much coolers with 120mm fan, so I believe I have the
small brother with pc800e dx. Q-Fan is set too 11/16 and only in case
the cpu temperature reaches 50 C the fan will speedup. For real this is
not possible even with my cooler (cpu stays at 30C in silent mode and
heavy cpu load). Maybe you will see your fan speed up in summer :) .

Niclaas

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 02:38:59 GMT, WhoKnows
<funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the tips guys. I had missed enabling cool and quiet in the
>CPU settings. Funny how that would keep it from working!!?? :) I'm now
>cool and quiet!

After reading some messages on BB's I installed the Q&Q software from
www.amd.com, not from ASUS.
There is a AMD64 driver, a PowerNow! Dashboard and som CPU info utilities.
I haven't tried the Asus stuff, but it works ok!

After leaving the system idle for a while the CPU temp is 30 degr. C. and
the standard AMD fan runs on 2100 revs/s.

Then I tried to make the proc busy with Hot CPU tester PRO 4, to no avail.
Temp didn't rise, not much happened, with a full 100% load.
Suppose I have to do that longer then 10 minutes ;)

Bert

Ed

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:07:08 +0100, Bert
<do@not.mail.because.this.adress.is.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 02:38:59 GMT, WhoKnows
><funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the tips guys. I had missed enabling cool and quiet in the
>>CPU settings. Funny how that would keep it from working!!?? :) I'm now
>>cool and quiet!
>
>After reading some messages on BB's I installed the Q&Q software from
>www.amd.com, not from ASUS.
>There is a AMD64 driver, a PowerNow! Dashboard and som CPU info utilities.
>I haven't tried the Asus stuff, but it works ok!
>
>After leaving the system idle for a while the CPU temp is 30 degr. C. and
>the standard AMD fan runs on 2100 revs/s.
>
>Then I tried to make the proc busy with Hot CPU tester PRO 4, to no avail.
>Temp didn't rise, not much happened, with a full 100% load.
>Suppose I have to do that longer then 10 minutes ;)
>

>Bert

You must be reading the case temp. :)
If you are reading the on-die diode of the CPU the CPU temp should raise
instantly when there's a load on the CPU. IOW what you are using to read
the CPU temp? I know Asus Probe reads the socket temp on most if not all
the Socket-A boards, not sure about Probe and the K8 boards though. I
like SpeedFan for my NF2 and NF3 boards.
Ed

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:31:55 -0600, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You must be reading the case temp. :)
>If you are reading the on-die diode of the CPU the CPU temp should raise
>instantly when there's a load on the CPU. IOW what you are using to read
>the CPU temp? I know Asus Probe reads the socket temp on most if not all
>the Socket-A boards, not sure about Probe and the K8 boards though. I
>like SpeedFan for my NF2 and NF3 boards.

Well, I installed speedfan v4.18.
Now I tried a test for 20 minutes. Full 100% CPU load.
(FYI: for the testing I use Hot CPU Pro 4 http://www.7byte.com/)
Also Speedfan shows a temp of 30 degr. C. (case temp 24)
After twenty minutes of full load it showed 31 degrees CPU temp.
No significant change in CPU-Fan speed (2100-2150 revs)

Miracle?

Bert

In article <1u29r0lqoo6kuem1dfu64jfqk7rqnej57s@4ax.com>,
nomail@hotmail.com says...
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:48:21 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >that Q-fan is trying to control that. I don't know if the
> >AMD retail heatsink/fan has its own built-in control features,
>
> The stock AMD cooler does control the fan speed.
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3200_3.html
>
> Ed
>
> <snip>
> >HTH,
> > Paul

Alright, I just finished scouring the A8V manual. It said that you need
an AMD stock cooler, (or one with a monitor chip), in order for C&Q to
adjust the fan speed. It also said that if you you have a retrofit
cooler, (I have a Thermaltake), that doesn't have a monitor chip you can
use Q-fan and it will adjust the fan according to the load,( I read that
as temp).

So I guess according to the manual Q-fan is dynamic. I'm trying to test
it but even at 100% loading I can't get the thing over 40c.

Paul

Splendid

In article <MPG.1c1ece405535feba9896a6@news-server.nycap.rr.com>, WhoKnows
<funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:

> In article <1u29r0lqoo6kuem1dfu64jfqk7rqnej57s@4ax.com>,
> nomail@hotmail.com says...
> > On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:48:21 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > >that Q-fan is trying to control that. I don't know if the
> > >AMD retail heatsink/fan has its own built-in control features,
> >
> > The stock AMD cooler does control the fan speed.
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3200_3.html
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > <snip>
> > >HTH,
> > > Paul
> >

> Alright, I just finished scouring the A8V manual. It said that you need
> an AMD stock cooler, (or one with a monitor chip), in order for C&Q to
> adjust the fan speed. It also said that if you you have a retrofit
> cooler, (I have a Thermaltake), that doesn't have a monitor chip you can
> use Q-fan and it will adjust the fan according to the load,( I read that
> as temp).
>
> So I guess according to the manual Q-fan is dynamic. I'm trying to test
> it but even at 100% loading I can't get the thing over 40c.

OK, based on Ed finding the control mechanism in the AMD retail fan,
the above makes sense.

What the first paragraph says, is CNQ will make the processor run
cooler. There is no connection between CNQ and the AMD fan. But,
the AMD fan does measure the CPU temperature, and when the fan
finds the CPU running cooler, the fan slows down.

If, on top of this, you use Q-fan, then Q-fan also measures the processor
temperature, via either a processor diode or via a socket thermistor.
It really doesn't matter which. When Q-fan finds the temp is below
50C (which is most of the time), Q-fan will also reduce the voltage.

A fan motor will only run reliably at some minimum voltage. Some of
the brushless motors in the past, ran at 12V nominal, and were rated
to work at 7V. Some now still run at 5V. But, the combination of the
AMD build-in control reducing the voltage, and the Q-fan
reducing the voltage, could be causing the voltage to drop below
the minimum for the fan motor, and that is why some people have
observed it to stop when Q-fan is being used. With a non-AMD
cooler on there, a fan without its own temperature sensor, it is
unlikely Q-fan could drop the voltage enough on its own to make the
fan stop.

As for the small temp rise, maybe AMD makes good processors :)

HTH,
Paul

Ed

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:44:56 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <MPG.1c1ece405535feba9896a6@news-server.nycap.rr.com>, WhoKnows
><funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <1u29r0lqoo6kuem1dfu64jfqk7rqnej57s@4ax.com>,
>> nomail@hotmail.com says...
>> > On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:48:21 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > The stock AMD cooler does control the fan speed.
>> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-3200_3.html
>> >
>> > Ed
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >

>> Alright, I just finished scouring the A8V manual. It said that you need
>> an AMD stock cooler, (or one with a monitor chip), in order for C&Q to
>> adjust the fan speed. It also said that if you you have a retrofit
>> cooler, (I have a Thermaltake), that doesn't have a monitor chip you can
>> use Q-fan and it will adjust the fan according to the load,( I read that
>> as temp).
>>
>> So I guess according to the manual Q-fan is dynamic. I'm trying to test
>> it but even at 100% loading I can't get the thing over 40c.
>
>OK, based on Ed finding the control mechanism in the AMD retail fan,
>the above makes sense.
>
>What the first paragraph says, is CNQ will make the processor run
>cooler. There is no connection between CNQ and the AMD fan. But,
>the AMD fan does measure the CPU temperature, and when the fan
>finds the CPU running cooler, the fan slows down.

<snip>

>HTH,
> Paul

Paul,
I was looking at my AMD stock cooler and the thermistor (I assume for
the fan speed controller) is right behind the fan blades, so it seems
the fan speed on these stock coolers are basically controlled by the air
temp more then heatsink/CPU temp.

Cheers,
Ed

In article <10r9q0vf9jkea11@corp.supernews.com>,
do@not.mail.because.this.adress.is.invalid says...
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:31:55 -0600, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >You must be reading the case temp. :)
> >If you are reading the on-die diode of the CPU the CPU temp should raise
> >instantly when there's a load on the CPU. IOW what you are using to read
> >the CPU temp? I know Asus Probe reads the socket temp on most if not all
> >the Socket-A boards, not sure about Probe and the K8 boards though. I
> >like SpeedFan for my NF2 and NF3 boards.
>
> Well, I installed speedfan v4.18.
> Now I tried a test for 20 minutes. Full 100% CPU load.
> (FYI: for the testing I use Hot CPU Pro 4 http://www.7byte.com/)
> Also Speedfan shows a temp of 30 degr. C. (case temp 24)
> After twenty minutes of full load it showed 31 degrees CPU temp.
> No significant change in CPU-Fan speed (2100-2150 revs)
>
> Miracle?

I have an A8V with an AMD 3500+ Winchester. The heat sink is a Gigabyte
3D Rocket-Pro PCU22-VG. This heat sink has a manual control for the fan
speed. With Speedfan 4.18 and the CPU fan at minimum speed I get: 25C
motherboard, 37-38C idle, and 41C full load temperatures. The idle
sounds high to me and there is little increase when under full load.
This is my first AMD64. Do these temps sound correct?

--
gregc@magivark.com

Ed

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 22:35:37 GMT, Greg Cox <gregc@magivark.com> wrote:

>In article <10r9q0vf9jkea11@corp.supernews.com>,
>do@not.mail.because.this.adress.is.invalid says...
>> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:31:55 -0600, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >You must be reading the case temp. :)
>> >If you are reading the on-die diode of the CPU the CPU temp should raise
>> >instantly when there's a load on the CPU. IOW what you are using to read
>> >the CPU temp? I know Asus Probe reads the socket temp on most if not all
>> >the Socket-A boards, not sure about Probe and the K8 boards though. I
>> >like SpeedFan for my NF2 and NF3 boards.
>>
>> Well, I installed speedfan v4.18.
>> Now I tried a test for 20 minutes. Full 100% CPU load.
>> (FYI: for the testing I use Hot CPU Pro 4 http://www.7byte.com/)
>> Also Speedfan shows a temp of 30 degr. C. (case temp 24)
>> After twenty minutes of full load it showed 31 degrees CPU temp.
>> No significant change in CPU-Fan speed (2100-2150 revs)
>>
>> Miracle?
>>

>I have an A8V with an AMD 3500+ Winchester. The heat sink is a Gigabyte
>3D Rocket-Pro PCU22-VG. This heat sink has a manual control for the fan
>speed. With Speedfan 4.18 and the CPU fan at minimum speed I get: 25C
>motherboard, 37-38C idle, and 41C full load temperatures. The idle
>sounds high to me and there is little increase when under full load.
>This is my first AMD64. Do these temps sound correct?

The Winchester cores run cool, I may have to get me a 3500+!
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/pentium4_570-20.html

Ed

In article <MPG.1c1fd04569acbfb2989685@news.easynews.com>,
gregc@magivark.com says...
> In article <10r9q0vf9jkea11@corp.supernews.com>,
> do@not.mail.because.this.adress.is.invalid says...
> > On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:31:55 -0600, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
>snip
> I have an A8V with an AMD 3500+ Winchester. The heat sink is a Gigabyte
> 3D Rocket-Pro PCU22-VG. This heat sink has a manual control for the fan
> speed. With Speedfan 4.18 and the CPU fan at minimum speed I get: 25C
> motherboard, 37-38C idle, and 41C full load temperatures. The idle
> sounds high to me and there is little increase when under full load.
> This is my first AMD64. Do these temps sound correct?

Sounds about right to me if you don't have CNQ turned on. With my
system at idle i'm seeing 25-27c at idle and about 40c at full load.
Turn on CNQ an you should see similar results.

--
Thermaltake 3000BNA Black w/450W PS