XP freezes when inserting any cd to any drive

help

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Whenever I insert a cd (any kind, be it dvd, empty cd) into my Nany of my cd drives, Windows XP completely locks up. Mouse freezes, clock stops, ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button. (I've waited for 30 minutes before to see if anything will happen, but it doesn't.)

I've tried disabling Autoplay (with GPEDIT.MSC) but this doesn't change anything. I've tried updating to the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website to no avail. ps help

G

I have had this problem before too. I think it has something to do with
my cheap DVD Burner, but after recently reinstalling Windows, I have not
had it do it since. I would try this:

Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK, now go down to DVD\CD
Drives, right click on the drive that is causing the problems and click
uninstall. Now reboot and allow Windows to reinstall the driver. Now
try and see if the problem still exists.

Nathan McNulty

help wrote:

> Whenever I insert a cd (any kind, be it dvd, empty cd) into my Nany of my cd drives, Windows XP completely locks up. Mouse freezes, clock stops, ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button. (I've waited for 30 minutes before to see if anything will happen, but it doesn't.)
>
> I've tried disabling Autoplay (with GPEDIT.MSC) but this doesn't change anything. I've tried updating to the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website to no avail. ps help
>

danb

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2003

I have the same problem. Did you finally find a solution that worked??
Thanks

"help" wrote:

> Whenever I insert a cd (any kind, be it dvd, empty cd) into my Nany of my cd drives, Windows XP completely locks up. Mouse freezes, clock stops, ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button. (I've waited for 30 minutes before to see if anything will happen, but it doesn't.)
>
> I've tried disabling Autoplay (with GPEDIT.MSC) but this doesn't change anything. I've tried updating to the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website to no avail. ps help
>