XP freezes when inserting any cd to any drive

Whenever I insert a cd (any kind, be it dvd, empty cd) into my Nany of my cd drives, Windows XP completely locks up. Mouse freezes, clock stops, ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button. (I've waited for 30 minutes before to see if anything will happen, but it doesn't.)

I've tried disabling Autoplay (with GPEDIT.MSC) but this doesn't change anything. I've tried updating to the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website to no avail. ps help
2 answers Last reply
More about freezes inserting drive

    I have had this problem before too. I think it has something to do with
    my cheap DVD Burner, but after recently reinstalling Windows, I have not
    had it do it since. I would try this:

    Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK, now go down to DVD\CD
    Drives, right click on the drive that is causing the problems and click
    uninstall. Now reboot and allow Windows to reinstall the driver. Now
    try and see if the problem still exists.

    Nathan McNulty

    help wrote:

    > Whenever I insert a cd (any kind, be it dvd, empty cd) into my Nany of my cd drives, Windows XP completely locks up. Mouse freezes, clock stops, ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button. (I've waited for 30 minutes before to see if anything will happen, but it doesn't.)
    >
    > I've tried disabling Autoplay (with GPEDIT.MSC) but this doesn't change anything. I've tried updating to the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website to no avail. ps help

    I have the same problem. Did you finally find a solution that worked??
    Thanks

    "help" wrote:

    > Whenever I insert a cd (any kind, be it dvd, empty cd) into my Nany of my cd drives, Windows XP completely locks up. Mouse freezes, clock stops, ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button. (I've waited for 30 minutes before to see if anything will happen, but it doesn't.)
    >
    > I've tried disabling Autoplay (with GPEDIT.MSC) but this doesn't change anything. I've tried updating to the latest firmware from the manufacturer's website to no avail. ps help

CD-Rom Windows XP