Problem with a7v8x mainboard and USB 2.0

Hi

bought that board when it was new on the market and always used USB
1.1 without ANY problem.

Now I wanted to use a USB 2.0 cardreader, but when I plug it in, Win
XP says that I am trying to use a HighSpeed USB Device on a "standard"
USB Port. It generally works, but transferspeeds show that its not
doing USB 2.0.

I flashed the Bios to the latest non-BetaVersion available. I tried to
update the ViaChipsetdrivers (Also from the asus-Website), but there I
get an error.

First, it demands the file USBUHCI.SYS, which I find as USBUHCI.SY_ on
the Win-INstallation disk. But when choosing this, he tells me, that
this driver fails the windowsXP-Compatibility test.
When I continue, it demands the file from the VIA Driver Disk, but
from a "Win 9x"Driver disk.

I guess there is the problem, but How can I solve it?

Any Ideas?

Need help, please:)

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Holger Hirschfeld

Paul

Splendid

In article <q9o6r01cavmojsjaeslmvk7r56n5jaql5d@4ax.com>, Holger Hirschfeld
<hirschfeld01@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> bought that board when it was new on the market and always used USB
> 1.1 without ANY problem.
>
> Now I wanted to use a USB 2.0 cardreader, but when I plug it in, Win
> XP says that I am trying to use a HighSpeed USB Device on a "standard"
> USB Port. It generally works, but transferspeeds show that its not
> doing USB 2.0.
>
> I flashed the Bios to the latest non-BetaVersion available. I tried to
> update the ViaChipsetdrivers (Also from the asus-Website), but there I
> get an error.
>
> First, it demands the file USBUHCI.SYS, which I find as USBUHCI.SY_ on
> the Win-INstallation disk. But when choosing this, he tells me, that
> this driver fails the windowsXP-Compatibility test.
> When I continue, it demands the file from the VIA Driver Disk, but
> from a "Win 9x"Driver disk.
>
> I guess there is the problem, but How can I solve it?
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Need help, please:)

WinXP Service Pack 1 has drivers for USB2. Any USB hardware that
supports EHCI (enhanced) standard will be supported by the Microsoft
drivers. You don't mention whether you have SP1 or not.

AFAIK standalone USB2 drivers (pre-SP1 version) are no longer
available from Microsoft for download. If you are determined not
to use SP1, then you will have to search around to find a copy,
or for that matter, information on how well they work. No commercial
site can carry them without hearing from Microsoft.

Some info on the Via 4-in-1 drivers can be found on an old copy
of the viaarena.com site. Since the viaarena.com site has been
revamped by some web weenie, good info is hard to find.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030210120212/www.viaarena.com/?PageID=211

Notice how USB is not mentioned there. There is an INF driver,
and I believe what that does, is help the OS identify the hardware.
So, if the USB ports are not being enumerated properly, due to
some problem with the INF portion of the 4-in-1 driver, I suppose
that could be a problem.

I do not understand why the installer is looking for USBUHCI.SYS

You can also visit usbman.com, for some advice on USB.

http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

or visit the viaarena site (select topic "usb/1394" from the menu):

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=3&faq=13&Search=

but basically, they will all tell you to get SP1 service pack.

Once you have installed SP1, the USB ports still may not be
properly configured. Try this procedure, which is to delete
the USB devices while in Safe Mode, and when the computer is
next booted, the USB stack will be refreshed:

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

I hope your OS in not too messed up now, to make this work.

HTH,
Paul

hi,

>WinXP Service Pack 1 has drivers for USB2.

Thanks a lot for that hint. I guess that is the point I have to work
on a bit. (SP1 on the CD i have fails to install properly.)

Greets
Holger

hi,

>WinXP Service Pack 1 has drivers for USB2.

Thx again. Manaaged to install SP1, now it works perfectly.

Why is it that without Sp1 there is no USB 2.0 support? Was it not
"implemented" in XP because it was too new?

--

In article <nl6cr05vrh7bcfehft2gam0dtl6gsqs3k0@4ax.com>, Holger Hirschfeld
<hirschfeld01@gmx.de> wrote:

> hi,
>
> >WinXP Service Pack 1 has drivers for USB2.
>
> Thx again. Manaaged to install SP1, now it works perfectly.
>
> Why is it that without Sp1 there is no USB 2.0 support? Was it not
> "implemented" in XP because it was too new?

Yes.

It was offered as a separate driver after WinXP was
released. And then Microsoft decided to roll the driver into
SP1, and remove the separate download from their site. The
Microsoft license also specified that the separate driver be
removed from other companies sites as well. Presumably,
this is to get customers to install SP1.

Paul