Modem - integrated or internal?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I'm narrowing down my choices for a laptop. One configuration
lists an INTEGRATED modem, the other an INTERNAL one. Both
machines with Windows XP Home.

I understand what an internal modem is, but what is an integrated
one? Integrated with what exactly? Are there differences in
performance, advantages/disadvantages in one over the other?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

George

P.S. Pls. reply in newsgroup; e-mail address is invalid.

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

Integrated and internal can be misleading with a laptop. Integrated implies part of the motherboard. Internal implies it is sitting on the pci bus or modem riser. Either is OK. Would check to ensure it is software upgradable or you are stuck at whatever standard is in it at purchase unless you get a new motherboard or return it to the manufacturer. Controllerless modems use slightly more resources.