Old P/I-P55TP4XE BIOS flash problems

I recently recieved an old computer with a P/I-P55TP4XE motherboard that i
would like to use as a linux server. The current bios does not support
booting from cd so i downloaded an updated bios and thought all would go
well since i have flashed my bios many times before without issue. Problem
is none of the flash programs can recognize the flash chip it is using.
They all report unknown or just leave the chip type blank. I have set the
bios jumper to the program flash position and everything seems ok. The
flash program reads the old bios fine but cant find what type of flash chip
it is. Is it possible this board came without a flashable bios chip in it?
I have tried both the Asus Aflash utility and the Award flash utility with
no luck. I'll just make a boot floppy for my linux install if i have to but
it would be nice to get it working the right way. The board revision is
2.1. I'm out of ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about p55tp4xe bios flash problems

    Erick Ondich <erick@visi.com> wrote:
    > I recently recieved an old computer with a P/I-P55TP4XE motherboard that i
    > would like to use as a linux server. The current bios does not support
    > booting from cd so i downloaded an updated bios and thought all would go
    > well since i have flashed my bios many times before without issue. Problem
    > is none of the flash programs can recognize the flash chip it is using.
    > They all report unknown or just leave the chip type blank. I have set the
    > bios jumper to the program flash position and everything seems ok. The
    > flash program reads the old bios fine but cant find what type of flash chip
    > it is. Is it possible this board came without a flashable bios chip in it?
    > I have tried both the Asus Aflash utility and the Award flash utility with

    I remember Asus changed it's flash program some time in the past. It
    wouldn't suprise me if that board needs a really old version.

    pflash?

    http://www.asus.com.tw/inside/Techref/bios-flash.html#bios-flash07

    Nick

    "Nick Zentena" <zentena@hophead.dyndns.org> wrote in message
    > Erick Ondich <erick@visi.com> wrote:
    > > I recently recieved an old computer with a P/I-P55TP4XE motherboard that
    > > would like to use as a linux server. The current bios does not support
    > > booting from cd so i downloaded an updated bios and thought all would go
    > > well since i have flashed my bios many times before without issue.
    Problem
    > > is none of the flash programs can recognize the flash chip it is using.
    > > They all report unknown or just leave the chip type blank. I have set
    the
    > > bios jumper to the program flash position and everything seems ok. The
    > > flash program reads the old bios fine but cant find what type of flash
    chip
    > > it is. Is it possible this board came without a flashable bios chip in
    it?
    > > I have tried both the Asus Aflash utility and the Award flash utility
    with

    > I remember Asus changed it's flash program some time in the past. It
    > wouldn't suprise me if that board needs a really old version.
    >
    > pflash?
    >
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/inside/Techref/bios-flash.html#bios-flash07
    >
    > Nick

    Pflash did the trick. Now i can boot from CD. Thanks!

    Erick

Asus BIOS Flash Motherboards