Best ASUS board

Looking to build a new system.....

Any recommendations on the best ASUS board to build....

Stability and ease of setup are most important features.

MJM

Charlie

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:01:36 -0600, "MJM News" <mjm1027@email.com>
wrote:

>Looking to build a new system.....
>
>Any recommendations on the best ASUS board to build....
>
>Stability and ease of setup are most important features.
>
>MJM

Well, I just recently completed an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, and it was
very easy to set up and completely trouble-free for me, and I'm really
a novice. It's been rock solid with an Athlon 3200 and 1 GB of Corsair
RAM.
---
Charlie Hoffpauir

Paul

Splendid

In article <Jf0td.731$ln.168@lakeread06>, "MJM News" <mjm1027@email.com> wrote:

> Looking to build a new system.....
>
> Any recommendations on the best ASUS board to build....
>
> Stability and ease of setup are most important features.
>
> MJM

There are probably 70 or 80 boards we could recommend.

1) What is your budget ? Do you want "super-cheap" or "my
budget is unlimited" ?

2) Do you want to reuse your old components, or fork out
$1200 for all new stuff.

3) There are a number of sockets and processor makers to
choose from:

Intel S478 (obsolete P4), S775 (new P4 package)
AMD S462 (athlonxp), S754 (athlon64 single channel),
S939 (athlon64 dual channel),
s940 (athlon64 dual channel, registered memory)

AMD is for gaming (due to superior game benchmarks),
P4 otherwise. AthlonXP is a good way to do budget systems.

4) Memory choice - DDR or DDR2. DDR2 is more expensive.
Reusing old SDRAM would be a lot harder.

5) Video card choice - built-in graphics, AGP slot, or
PCI express slot or
PCI express SLI dual slot

A little more background about what system and components
you are currently using, and where you want to be after
the upgrade, would allow a more focused answer. Since
graphics cards are so expensive, your choice of graphics
card will make a big difference to your system cost.
Same with the use of DDR2.

HTH,
Paul

MJM News wrote:
> *see comments below*
>

> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com <mailto:nospam@needed.com>> wrote in message
> > In article <Jf0td.731$ln.168@lakeread06
> <mailto:Jf0td.731$ln.168@lakeread06>>, "MJM News" <mjm1027@email.com
> <mailto:mjm1027@email.com>> wrote:
> >
> >> Looking to build a new system.....
> >>
> >> Any recommendations on the best ASUS board to build....
> >>
> >> Stability and ease of setup are most important features.
> >>
> >> MJM
> >
> > There are probably 70 or 80 boards we could recommend.
> >
> > 1) What is your budget ? Do you want "super-cheap" or "my
> > budget is unlimited" ? *all new parts*
> >
> > 2) Do you want to reuse your old components, or fork out
> > $1200 for all new stuff. *about $1K
> *>
> > 3) There are a number of sockets and processor makers to
> > choose from:
> >
> > Intel S478 (obsolete P4), *S775 (new P4 package)
> *> AMD S462 (athlonxp), S754 (athlon64 single channel),
> > S939 (athlon64 dual channel),
> > s940 (athlon64 dual channel, registered memory)
> >
> > AMD is for gaming (due to superior game benchmarks),
> > P4 otherwise. AthlonXP is a good way to do budget systems. *P4 w/
> 800MHz FSB*
> >
> > 4) Memory choice - DDR or DDR2. DDR2 is more expensive.
> > Reusing old SDRAM would be a lot harder.
> >
> > 5) Video card choice - built-in graphics, AGP slot, or
> > PCI express slot or
> > PCI express SLI dual slot *not sure*
> >
> > A little more background about what system and components
> > you are currently using, and where you want to be after
> > the upgrade, would allow a more focused answer. Since
> > graphics cards are so expensive, your choice of graphics
> > card will make a big difference to your system cost.
> > Same with the use of DDR2.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

I just built a system similar to what you are looking for with the
P5P800 motherboard, 3.4 GHz Prescott processor, and 1 GB of DDR400 RAM.
These parts cost less than $550 from Newegg. This board uses a
standard AGP video card so you can get a very good one for about $200.
Adding hard drives (IDE or SATA), CD/DVD, and case/power supply should
add less than $250 which would fit within your budget. I could have
gone with one of the PCI-E motherboards but the expense would have been
much higher and I would have needed to get a PCI-E video card.

Paul wrote:

> 3) There are a number of sockets and processor makers to
> choose from:
>
> Intel S478 (obsolete P4), S775 (new P4 package)
> AMD S462 (athlonxp), S754 (athlon64 single channel),
> S939 (athlon64 dual channel),
> s940 (athlon64 dual channel, registered memory)
>
> AMD is for gaming (due to superior game benchmarks),
> P4 otherwise. AthlonXP is a good way to do budget systems.

Even though the P4 might perform slightly better in the field of office
apps, I'd still opt for the AMD 64. This will allow you to switch to
64-bit computing without having to switch hardware again, and if you
plan on using the rig for say three years, and everyone is slowly
switching to 64bit computing, you will not feel left out - at least you
have a choice.

I'd pick up an S939 board - wait a few weeks for the A8N - pair it with
a not so overpriced Athlon 64, and that would still leave plenty of cash
for other components, such as memory, SATA drives, good PSU, PCIe vid
card and a dual layer dvd burner. A good starting position for software
and hardware upgrades in the future.