Won't Power Up

New ASUS KAN-E with AMD 64 30000
Just put together and when I push and release the power button fans stop
turning and PC won't power on. If I hold the button in fans will turn for x
amount of seconds then stop.
I'm using a new Liteon case with a suncheer 400w ps.
Any help would be appreciated

"N Alley" <nalley@comcast.net> wrote in message
> New ASUS KAN-E with AMD 64 30000
> Just put together and when I push and release the power button fans stop
> turning and PC won't power on. If I hold the button in fans will turn for
> x amount of seconds then stop.
> I'm using a new Liteon case with a suncheer 400w ps.
> Any help would be appreciated

First, I think you might have it cranked up to high. I just bought a AMD 64
3000 and hate to think there is something 10x faster already.

Check that you don't have one of the led connections on the reset pins. You
might also want to check the on/off switch. If it's shorting, it's like
holding the switch on all the time.

> In article <xa2dnb-NLqJNbincRVn-3w@comcast.com>, "N Alley"
> <nalley@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> New ASUS KAN-E with AMD 64 30000
>> Just put together and when I push and release the power button fans stop
>> turning and PC won't power on. If I hold the button in fans will turn for
>> amount of seconds then stop.
>> I'm using a new Liteon case with a suncheer 400w ps.
>> Any help would be appreciated

Thanks for the reply

> 1) Check the label on the power supply. Does the +12V have at
> least a 15 amp rating ?
Yes

> When you turn on the PSU, does the green LED light on the motherboard
> glow ?
Yes

> 2) Check that the heatsink is properly installed on the processor.
Done

3) Your motherboard has Voice POST (Vocal POST).
They are but it doesn't power long enough for it to work

Paul,
I done the steps and the first one deducted it was the board. With the
nothing hooked to board but a case fan it failed to run.

Thanks again

"N Alley" <nalley@comcast.net> wrote in message
> New ASUS KAN-E with AMD 64 30000
> Just put together and when I push and release the power button fans stop
> turning and PC won't power on. If I hold the button in fans will turn for
> x amount of seconds then stop.
> I'm using a new Liteon case with a suncheer 400w ps.
> Any help would be appreciated

Paul

Splendid

In article <XKCdnSyhrZGrlyjcRVn-rA@comcast.com>, "N Alley"
<nalley@comcast.net> wrote:

> > In article <xa2dnb-NLqJNbincRVn-3w@comcast.com>, "N Alley"
> > <nalley@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> New ASUS KAN-E with AMD 64 30000
> >> Just put together and when I push and release the power button fans stop
> >> turning and PC won't power on. If I hold the button in fans will turn for
> >> amount of seconds then stop.
> >> I'm using a new Liteon case with a suncheer 400w ps.
> >> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks for the reply
>
> > 1) Check the label on the power supply. Does the +12V have at
> > least a 15 amp rating ?
> Yes
>
> > When you turn on the PSU, does the green LED light on the motherboard
> > glow ?
> Yes
>
> > 2) Check that the heatsink is properly installed on the processor.
> Done
>
> 3) Your motherboard has Voice POST (Vocal POST).
> They are but it doesn't power long enough for it to work

One other thing I forgot - did you plug in the 2x2 ATX12V power
connector ? That is needed to power the processor, via
the Vcore converter. The connector is in the upper left corner
of the picture of the motherboard in the manual.

If that was connected, then it is time for the "cardboard" test,
starting with nothing but the motherboard and the PSU, outside
the computer case. The motherboard should start even without a
processor plugged into the socket, and the Voice POST chip has
its own little processor and firmware, inside the two Voice
POST chips (the 8 pin DIP IC contains scripts for the processor
and the compressed sound samples). That is why the Voice POST
can generate messages, even with a bare motherboard.

Give that a try. Touch a screwdriver tip to the two Power switch
pins on the PANEL connector, to start the motherboard. Before
adding any components, unplug the PSU, or at least make sure the
green LED on the motherboard is not lit, before changing any hardware
on the motherboard.

HTH,
Paul

Being new to the 64's I didn't connect the 2x2 ATX12V power connector . I'm
use to just one power connector.
Sorry for the trouble.
Paul I appreciate your help as well as everyone else.

Thanks again

> In article <XKCdnSyhrZGrlyjcRVn-rA@comcast.com>, "N Alley"
> <nalley@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>> Thanks for the reply
>>
>> > 1) Check the label on the power supply. Does the +12V have at
>> > least a 15 amp rating ?
>> Yes
>>
>> > When you turn on the PSU, does the green LED light on the motherboard
>> > glow ?
>> Yes
>>
>> > 2) Check that the heatsink is properly installed on the processor.
>> Done
>>
>> 3) Your motherboard has Voice POST (Vocal POST).
>> They are but it doesn't power long enough for it to work
>
> One other thing I forgot - did you plug in the 2x2 ATX12V power
> connector ? That is needed to power the processor, via
> the Vcore converter. The connector is in the upper left corner
> of the picture of the motherboard in the manual.
>
> If that was connected, then it is time for the "cardboard" test,
> starting with nothing but the motherboard and the PSU, outside
> the computer case. The motherboard should start even without a
> processor plugged into the socket, and the Voice POST chip has
> its own little processor and firmware, inside the two Voice
> POST chips (the 8 pin DIP IC contains scripts for the processor
> and the compressed sound samples). That is why the Voice POST
> can generate messages, even with a bare motherboard.
>
> Give that a try. Touch a screwdriver tip to the two Power switch
> pins on the PANEL connector, to start the motherboard. Before
> adding any components, unplug the PSU, or at least make sure the
> green LED on the motherboard is not lit, before changing any hardware
> on the motherboard.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Apart from the other suggestions, it could also be a simple short somewhere
in the case. As suggested, remove all nonessential brackets from the rear,
try again, they can short the motherboard sometimes. If still nothing then
yea, do the cardboard method or a simple flat surface like a kitchen table.