P4T533-C Ailment

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

At the start of my P4T533-C posting, a young female voice tells me that "No
floppy disk detected". At the first screen, it tells me there is a "Floppy
disk fail (40)" and that there is a "CMOS Checksum error". At the bottom of
the screen it suggests I enter BIOS for flashing or,...... that I use F-1 to
continue. I select F-1 and everything continues. Also, I have flashed the
bios with the ASUS tool but am not quite sure that is what it wants. Doesn't
help anyway. Any ideas for resolution would be appreciated. My second board
in the last couple of years for the same ailments. Of course the P4T533-C is
no longer available as a replacement, if needed. If needed, what is
difference between P5AD2 and P5GD2. TIA, Herb

Paul

Splendid

In article <z9utd.1870$N%6.739@trnddc05>, "herb" <herb.overhere@fl> wrote:

> At the start of my P4T533-C posting, a young female voice tells me that "No
> floppy disk detected". At the first screen, it tells me there is a "Floppy
> disk fail (40)" and that there is a "CMOS Checksum error". At the bottom of
> the screen it suggests I enter BIOS for flashing or,...... that I use F-1 to
> continue. I select F-1 and everything continues. Also, I have flashed the
> bios with the ASUS tool but am not quite sure that is what it wants. Doesn't
> help anyway. Any ideas for resolution would be appreciated. My second board
> in the last couple of years for the same ailments. Of course the P4T533-C is
> no longer available as a replacement, if needed. If needed, what is
> difference between P5AD2 and P5GD2. TIA, Herb

Floppy disk error 40:

It is hard to say exactly what a CMOS Checksum error is. On
the face of it, the 256 bytes of RAM in the Southbridge, that
hold the so-called "CMOS" contents, could have one byte allocated
for a simple checksum, but maybe this error is actually indicating
some other problem ? If the CMOS checksum is calculated at
every shutdown and written out to the CMOS ram block, you would
think that the CMOS checksum would be corrected after one
reboot - if it is not, then maybe this error is actually
caused by something else.

You could try "clearing the CMOS" using the CLRTC jumper,
but somehow I doubt that will help. (Unplug the computer,
before using the CLRTC jumper, as damage can result to the
diode that connects the coin cell battery to the motherboard,
if you don't remove +5VSB. Every motherboard manual has a
procedure listed for how to use CLRTC.)

This post, for example, correlates "CMOS error" with bad or
improperly spec'ed memory and/or overclocking. I doubt the
CMOS is being checksummed, but perhaps the BIOS code is
being checksummed instead. In other words, this could be
a general computing error, caused by bad ram, a bad processor,
a bad Northbridge, anything that can screw up a checksum
calculation.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=S%25fF9.141631%24WL3.63478%40rwcrnsc54

If you run out of other things to try, get a copy of memtest86
from memtest.org, and test the memory. You can also get a copy
of Prime95 and run the mixed size "Torture Test", as that will
give the processor and memory a good workout. Prime95 does a
consistency calculation, and if the calculated result is not
correct, it will report an error. Of course, no error is
tolerable, and if errors happen, you then have to figure out
what is at fault. For example, I had 512MB of cheap DDR that I
had been using for a year, perfectly stable, but when faced with
those two tests, the RAM was bad. If you haven't tested your
computer for integrity, a problem with the base hardware
could be the cause of the CMOS error. Even the floppy error
can be caused by a hardware problem, if, for example a clock
signal is out of spec, that could be enough to throw off some
hardware.

The root cause may not be as obvious as you think.

As for P5AD2 and P5GD2, have you used the mbindex page, and
clicked on the two links ? On the home page for each board,
is a link labelled "spec", and that will give a concise list
of the features of the two boards. The "spec" page tends to
be more accurate than the "features" page (you would think
they would be careful about that).

This is not an exhaustive list, just what caught my eye.

LGA775 processor, 925X Northbridge, 4xDDR2, PCI-E video.
SIL3114 quad sata, ITE8212 IDE chip

FSB1066, 1394B Firewire, 2 ethernet
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5AD2-E%20Premium&langs=01

FSB800, 1394B Firewire, 2 ethernet
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5AD2%20Premium&langs=01

FSB800, 1394A Firewire, 1 ethernet
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5AD2%20Deluxe&langs=01

In case you think 1394B (800mb/sec firewire) is a favorable
asset, check out the driver issues before buying. Microsoft
doesn't handle 1394B properly, and transfer rate can be less
than satisfying as a result. Google on 1394B issues before
buying.

LGA775 processor, 915 Northbridge, 4xDDR2, PCI-E video

FSB800, No Firewire, 1 ethernet (memory bandwidth a few percent
less than 925X boards). No SIL3114, but has ITE8212 IDE chip

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD2&langs=01

FSB800, Firewire, 1 ethernet, (memory bandwidth a few percent
less than 925X boards). Has SIL3114 and ITE8212 IDE chip

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD2%20Deluxe&langs=01

The main message with both those boards, is expect to buy all
new components for your new computer, as component reuse will
be minimal. The cost of the motherboard hardly matters, if
$1000 of extras are needed.

HTH,
Paul

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

> [...]
>
> In case you think 1394B (800mb/sec firewire) is a favorable
> asset, check out the driver issues before buying. Microsoft
> doesn't handle 1394B properly, and transfer rate can be less
> than satisfying as a result. Google on 1394B issues before
> buying.
>
> LGA775 processor, 915 Northbridge, 4xDDR2, PCI-E video
>
> FSB800, No Firewire, 1 ethernet (memory bandwidth a few percent
> less than 925X boards). No SIL3114, but has ITE8212 IDE chip
>
> http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD2&langs=01
>
> FSB800, Firewire, 1 ethernet, (memory bandwidth a few percent
> less than 925X boards). Has SIL3114 and ITE8212 IDE chip
>
> http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5GD2%20Deluxe&langs=01
>
> The main message with both those boards, is expect to buy all
> new components for your new computer, as component reuse will
> be minimal. The cost of the motherboard hardly matters, if

Thanks Paul. In the meantime, I have rattled all the cables, checking their
connections and seem to have corrected the checksum error..........or, as
you said, it corrected it's self. I still have the "no floppy disk
detected". It too has progressed in that the floppy drive really doesn't
work when I put a disk in now. Before it worked as normal except for the
note on the first page of the post, "floppy disk fail(40)". No other
indicators of troubles. At least I now know where to start.

I read the specs on both the P5AD2 and P5GD2 and noticed no high degree of
difference. ASUS had recommended the P5AD2 or a P4C800-C as an equal, or
better, of the P4T533-C. I am now thinking of the P4C800 in view of the
cost, as you pointed out. I haven't yet found the C...... E yes but no C.
Yet...... And of course, if I should stumble upon a fix for the P4T533-C I
would be happy. Goggle has recommend a cable replacement and of course,
pointed out it might be the M/B.

Happy Holidays, Herb

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

"herb" <herb.overhere@fl> wrote in message

> [...]
> their connections and seem to have corrected the checksum
> error..........or, as you said, it corrected it's self. I still have the
> "no floppy disk detected". It too has progressed in that the floppy drive
> really doesn't work when I put a disk in now. Before it worked as normal
> except for the note on the first page of the post, "floppy disk fail(40)".
> No other indicators of troubles. At least I now know where to start.
>
> I read the specs on both the P5AD2 and P5GD2 and noticed no high degree of
> difference. ASUS had recommended the P5AD2 or a P4C800-C as an equal, or
> better, of the P4T533-C. I am now thinking of the P4C800 in view of the
> cost, as you pointed out. I haven't yet found the C...... E yes but no C.
> Yet...... And of course, if I should stumble upon a fix for the P4T533-C
> I would be happy. Goggle has recommend a cable replacement and of course,

Hey Paul !! I am pleased to report that it was the floppy cable. No girl
talking, no odd notices posted now. $4 plus change when I was expecting to
spend maybe $1000 plus. My lucky day!!!........Regards, Herb

Paul

Splendid

In article <kXKtd.3397$E_6.1589@trnddc04>, "herb" <herb.overhere@fl> wrote:

> Hey Paul !! I am pleased to report that it was the floppy cable. No girl
> talking, no odd notices posted now. $4 plus change when I was expecting to
> spend maybe $1000 plus. My lucky day!!!........Regards, Herb

Excellent!

Another motherboard cheats death :)

Paul

CMOS checksum error is not the same as BIOS checksum error. You don't
reflash to fix this, you simply enter setup, then exit setup saving all
values (even though you have made no changes, possibly).

The missing floppy drive suggests that either you have a bad floppy
drive, a bad floppy drive cable, no power to the floppy drive or the
cable is connected wrong at the motherboard or drive or both. If you
select no floppy drive for drive A: the warning won't occur.

herb wrote:

> At the start of my P4T533-C posting, a young female voice tells me that "No
> floppy disk detected". At the first screen, it tells me there is a "Floppy
> disk fail (40)" and that there is a "CMOS Checksum error". At the bottom of
> the screen it suggests I enter BIOS for flashing or,...... that I use F-1 to
> continue. I select F-1 and everything continues. Also, I have flashed the
> bios with the ASUS tool but am not quite sure that is what it wants. Doesn't
> help anyway. Any ideas for resolution would be appreciated. My second board
> in the last couple of years for the same ailments. Of course the P4T533-C is
> no longer available as a replacement, if needed. If needed, what is
> difference between P5AD2 and P5GD2. TIA, Herb

Herb

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003

Hi Barry!! I am A OK now days. The CMOS corrected it's self....A new cable
corrected the floppy notes. I am slightly disappointed (a tiny bit) since a
new putter would have been nice but can not be justified now. Happy
Holidays!! Herb