IEEE 1394 adaptor card. Driver will not load

I have fitted an PCI to Firewire IEEE 1394 host adaptor
card to system. When started message appears "New
hardware found" however driver will not load. Device
manager indicates error "Device not configured correctly
Code 1" Have read K.B. Article 125174 which indicates
problem is with loading driver, however have followed
instructions but will not load. Have tried three
different brands of card yet all experience the same
problem. Manufactures advise that it is problem with
system loading driver. Has anyone experienced the same
problem which I understand is fairly common.
7 answers Last reply
More about ieee 1394 adaptor card driver load

    You said you tried three different cards and you installed the software
    for all of them? Also, what build of Windows are you using (Service
    Pack 2)? Have you checked with your motherboard manufacturer to see if
    there are any BIOS updates or if this is a common problem? Seems odd
    that three different brands would not work.

    Nathan McNulty

    John KIELY wrote:

    > I have fitted an PCI to Firewire IEEE 1394 host adaptor
    > card to system. When started message appears "New
    > hardware found" however driver will not load. Device
    > manager indicates error "Device not configured correctly
    > Code 1" Have read K.B. Article 125174 which indicates
    > problem is with loading driver, however have followed
    > instructions but will not load. Have tried three
    > different brands of card yet all experience the same
    > problem. Manufactures advise that it is problem with
    > system loading driver. Has anyone experienced the same
    > problem which I understand is fairly common.

    I have exactly the same problem! I installed a new Firewire card today because I want to edit DV movies on my PC. When I tried to install the IEEE 1394-controller, I got the message "unable to install..... not valid data"

    "John KIELY" wrote:

    > I have fitted an PCI to Firewire IEEE 1394 host adaptor
    > card to system. When started message appears "New
    > hardware found" however driver will not load. Device
    > manager indicates error "Device not configured correctly
    > Code 1" Have read K.B. Article 125174 which indicates
    > problem is with loading driver, however have followed
    > instructions but will not load. Have tried three
    > different brands of card yet all experience the same
    > problem. Manufactures advise that it is problem with
    > system loading driver. Has anyone experienced the same
    > problem which I understand is fairly common.

    Using XP Home edition.
    Updated all BIOS etc. Installed all SP updates ect.
    Intel list problem and advise that Microsoft installed
    patch to SP 1 to overcome the problem. Nothing seems to
    work. Any more suggestions?

    John KIELY

    Are you running Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2? As of right now,
    FireWire has issues with Service Pack 2 which will be fixed once it is
    officially released.

    Nathan McNulty

    > Using XP Home edition.
    > Updated all BIOS etc. Installed all SP updates ect.
    > Intel list problem and advise that Microsoft installed
    > patch to SP 1 to overcome the problem. Nothing seems to
    > work. Any more suggestions?
    >
    > John KIELY

    I ran across this link on another thread:

    A problem installing adapter cards in a Windows XP system

    Problem

    You have purchased a new motherboard and installed it in your Windows XP
    system; successfully for the most part, but whenever you try to install
    a sound card or network card, and then boot the system you get the
    message, "An error has occurred during the installation of this device.
    The data is invalid." For some reason, you have not been able to install
    an AGP video card, but you have been able to install a PCI video card,
    You have also tried unsuccessfully to install two different makes of
    network and sound card. The other measures you have taken to rectify the
    problem are: - reflashed the BIOS with the latest update, and tried
    replacing Windows XP with its forerunner, Windows 2000. Because the same
    error occurs with both versions of Windows, you suspect that the problem
    has to be hardware-related.

    A possible solution

    The usual cause of this problem in Windows 2000/XP systems is Registry
    keys that are set as read-only.

    From the Start menu, click Run and enter RegEdit to run the Registry
    Editor. Open the following - Keys => HKey_Local_machine => System =>
    CurrentControlSet => Enum => PCI.

    You will see several keys in this form - Ven_xxxx - where xxxx
    represents a string such as - 1102&Dev_004&Subsys_00011103&Rev_04.

    In each of these folders there is another folder that has a long
    numerical name. Open each of these folders, and look for the DeviceDesc
    entry that matches the type of hardware that you are trying
    unsuccessfully to install. Use the right mouse button to click on the
    Ven_xxxx entry for that device, and click Permissions. If it is set to
    read-only, then that is the cause of the problem. To rectify it, change
    it to Allow Full Control.

    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Tips.htm#probleminst

    Could try that. I will look for some more info when I get a chance ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    > Using XP Home edition.
    > Updated all BIOS etc. Installed all SP updates ect.
    > Intel list problem and advise that Microsoft installed
    > patch to SP 1 to overcome the problem. Nothing seems to
    > work. Any more suggestions?
    >
    > John KIELY

    Nathan,
    Ran this and the problem has been resolved. Device
    successfully installed and the "device manager" indicates
    that it is working correctly. Will use it now but I
    don't anticipate any further problems. Thanks for all
    your help. It may have taken me months to locate the
    issue. Thanks again

    John KIELY

    So it was the registry settings? That is good to know it is working now :)

    Nathan McNulty

Hardware Microsoft Devices Windows XP