Need Help with Wireless Card/Network Problem?

Hi

I am need help solving the following problem.

I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a D-link router. 2
days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro) stopped
working for no apparent reason. With the help of Acer America tech support
we noticed when we went into the "device manager" area it showed an error
message when checking the network adapter stating that the device cannot
start (a code 10?). At their request, I uninstalled and re-installed the
network card driver, but the error message still exists. The only thing I
did between the time the network card was working and not working was install
updated software for my Blackberry PDA device. With this in mind, I did a
system restore to 2 days prior to a time when the network card was working.
This did not solve the problem. The brainiacs at Acer then suggested I
back-up all files and wipe out everything on the PC by running my recovery
disks This seems a little drastic!

Any help will be appreciated!

PromoWiz ;-)
--
AR - PromoWiz
3 answers Last reply

    PromoWiz wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am need help solving the following problem.
    >
    > I work from a home office with 2 computers linked via a D-link router.
    > 2
    > days ago the wireless connection from laptop (runs on XP Pro) stopped
    > working for no apparent reason. With the help of Acer America tech
    > support we noticed when we went into the "device manager" area it
    > showed an error message when checking the network adapter stating that
    > the device cannot
    > start (a code 10?). At their request, I uninstalled and re-installed
    > the
    > network card driver, but the error message still exists. The only
    > thing I did between the time the network card was working and not
    > working was install
    > updated software for my Blackberry PDA device. With this in mind, I
    > did a system restore to 2 days prior to a time when the network card
    > was working.
    > This did not solve the problem. The brainiacs at Acer then suggested
    > I back-up all files and wipe out everything on the PC by running my
    > recovery
    > disks This seems a little drastic!

    All lower-level tech support people will eventually tell you to
    reinstall Windows just to get you off the phone. Try actually removing
    the network adapter from Device Manager and then rebooting to see if it
    gets found, and reinstall the drivers.

    I'm not familiar with that particular laptop, but many newish laptops
    have a button to turn the Wireless function on and off. Make sure yours
    is On. If that doesn't work, see if you can borrow a friend's wireless
    notebook adapter and install it. If it works, the built-in (?) adapter
    may have failed.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks for the help Malke. One Question .... what if I remove/uninstall the
    network adapter, reboot and then the adapter is NOT found by windows. What
    do i do then?

    A ;-)

    PromoWiz wrote:

    > Thanks for the help Malke. One Question .... what if I
    > remove/uninstall the
    > network adapter, reboot and then the adapter is NOT found by windows.
    > What do i do then?

    That would indicate that the device is actually broken. At that point,
    if it is a built-in device and the machine is still under warranty, you
    would call Acer tech support to get it fixed. If it is a separate
    wireless adapter, then you would just replace it with a new one.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers